Eotech 553 worth its price?

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ragincajun1919

Rating - 100%
    33   0   1
    Sep 23, 2009
    Lafayette, La
    I'm looking for an optic for my AR, and I'm looking manily at Eotechs. I keep running across the 553 and keep wondering if its worth the extra price over units like the 552 or the EXPS3. Anyone know why the cost difference? And if it's worth it?

Leadfoot

Low Speed High Drag
    Rating - 100%
    104   0   0
    Mar 4, 2009
    Livingston Parish
    The 553 is quote: "Standardized as the weapon sight of choice by America's warrior elite, the US Special Operations Command."

Know what that means? That means they can name their price on the civilian market and all the tacticool mall ninjas will pay it.

Now granted, its a tough piece of equipment, built to mil-spec and will take a WHOLE lot more abuse than the lower end models, but really, for the average user, I can see no advantage whatsoever in purchasing the higher end model. Unless you're one of those people I was just referring to in my above comment.

Last edited:

ragincajun1919

Rating - 100%
    33   0   1
    Sep 23, 2009
    Lafayette, La
    The 553 is quote: "Standardized as the weapon sight of choice by America's warrior elite, the US Special Operations Command."

Know what that means? That means they can name their price on the civilian market and all the tacticool mall ninjas will pay it.

Now granted, its a tough piece of equipment, built to mil-spec and will take a WHOLE lot more abuse than the lower end models, but really, for the average user, I can see no advantage whatsoever in purchasing the higher end model. Unless you're one of those people I was just referring to in my above comment.

Got some hostility in you huh?

Leadfoot

Low Speed High Drag
    Rating - 100%
    104   0   0
    Mar 4, 2009
    Livingston Parish
    Got some hostility in you huh?

Not especially, but people that have to spend that extra money on something just cause so-and-so the gun guru says its the best thing since God made little green apples kinda make me wonder.

If the lower priced model will do everything YOU need, why buy the other? To impress your gun buddies?

But hey, I'm sure L3 needs that extra $300 more than you do, right?

And just for the record, I love Eotechs. I think they're one of, if not the best holographic sights made. But that's why they have different models.
    Everyone doesn't need or wants to pay for all the extra bells and whistles.

Last edited:

ragincajun1919

Rating - 100%
    33   0   1
    Sep 23, 2009
    Lafayette, La
    No, this is what I like to call research. Trying to figure out what makes the 553 cost more. If it is only due to the ussocom attachment then I don't want to spend the extra dough. Maybe it's more durable? Or because of the built in ARMS mount? These are the questions I have.....

Would you also say that since Im not military I could be just as satisfied with a bushnell 4x instead of an acog?

I like to have the best I can afford, so that's why I ask.

Leadfoot

Low Speed High Drag
    Rating - 100%
    104   0   0
    Mar 4, 2009
    Livingston Parish
    If money is no object, and it will make you feel better about your purchase, then you should buy the 553.

It is my opinion, based on prior experience, that ANY of the Eotech models that are less expensive will be more than adequate for your needs if you are not military or a SWAT operator.

thomjb

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 24, 2010
    Southern IN
    I have a 553 on the SCAR and mostly 512's otherwise with Comp ML3's.
    Like them all, all work, got the 553 for show:) on the SCAR as it matches the FDE

yarbsea

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 1, 2009
    Bossier
    The 553 is more expensive because it IS more expensive.

66ft waterproof.
    NVG compatible
    Built in arms mount ($100 mount alone typically)

So there you have it. Not one penny of that price is attached to the socom heritage...has nothing to do with that. Buy it or don't, they don't really need your business is the bottom line :)

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    alwill112
    Top Bottom