Eric Holder. Our next Attorney General...

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • nikolai

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 13, 2006
    Houston, TX
    Eric Holder has been nominated for the position of Attorney General, which after 9/11 is now the head of the ATF, by Barrack Obama. The Senate vote is this Thursday. If any of you are worried about losing your gun rights, this is the man to watch.

http://volokh.com/posts/1227228105.shtml

Eric Holder on firearms policy:

Earlier this year, Eric Holder--along with Janet Reno and several other former officials from the Clinton Department of Justice--co-signed an amicus brief in District of Columbia v. Heller. The brief was filed in support of DC's ban on all handguns, and ban on the use of any firearm for self-defense in the home. The brief argued that the Second Amendment is a "collective" right, not an individual one, and asserted that belief in the collective right had been the consistent policy of the U.S. Department of Justice since the FDR administration. A brief filed by some other former DOJ officials (including several Attorneys General, and Stuart Gerson, who was Acting Attorney General until Janet Reno was confirmed)took issue with the Reno-Holder brief's characterization of DOJ's viewpoint.

But at the least, the Reno-Holder brief accurately expressed the position of the Department of Justice when Janet Reno was Attorney General and Eric Holder was Deputy Attorney General. At the oral argument before the Fifth Circuit in United States v. Emerson, the Assistant U.S. Attorney told the panel that the Second Amendment was no barrier to gun confiscation, not even of the confiscation of guns from on-duty National Guardsmen.

As Deputy Attorney General, Holder was a strong supporter of restrictive gun control. He advocated federal licensing of handgun owners, a three day waiting period on handgun sales, rationing handgun sales to no more than one per month, banning possession of handguns and so-called "assault weapons" (cosmetically incorrect guns) by anyone under age of 21, a gun show restriction bill that would have given the federal government the power to shut down all gun shows, national gun registration, and mandatory prison sentences for trivial offenses (e.g., giving your son an heirloom handgun for Christmas, if he were two weeks shy of his 21st birthday). He also promoted the factoid that "Every day that goes by, about 12, 13 more children in this country die from gun violence"--a statistic is true only if one counts 18-year-old gangsters who shoot each other as "children."(Sources: Holder testimony before House Judiciary Committee, Subcommitee on Crime, May 27,1999; Holder Weekly Briefing, May 20, 2000. One of the bills that Holder endorsed is detailed in my 1999 Issue Paper "Unfair and Unconstitutional.")

After 9/11, he penned a Washington Post op-ed, "Keeping Guns Away From Terrorists" arguing that a new law should give "the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms a record of every firearm sale." He also stated that prospective gun buyers should be checked against the secret "watch lists" compiled by various government entities. (In an Issue Paper on the watch list proposal, I quote a FBI spokesman stating that there is no cause to deny gun ownership to someone simply because she is on the FBI list.)

After the D.C. Circuit Court of Appeals ruled that the D.C. handgun ban and self-defense ban were unconstitutional in 2007, Holder complained that the decision "opens the door to more people having more access to guns and putting guns on the streets."

Holder played a key role in the gunpoint, night-time kidnapping of Elian Gonzalez. The pretext for the paramilitary invasion of the six-year-old's home was that someone in his family might have been licensed to carry a handgun under Florida law. Although a Pulitzer Prize-winning photo showed a federal agent dressed like a soldier and pointing a machine gun at the man who was holding the terrified child, Holder claimed that Gonzalez "was not taken at the point of a gun" and that the federal agents whom Holder had sent to capture Gonzalez had acted "very sensitively." If Mr. Holder believes that breaking down a door with a battering ram, pointing guns at children (not just Elian), and yelling "Get down, get down, we'll shoot" is example of acting "very sensitively," his judgment about the responsible use of firearms is not as acute as would be desirable for a cabinet officer who would be in charge of thousands and thousands of armed federal agents, many of them paramilitary agents with machine guns.

Paulup

dot dot dot
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Nov 8, 2008
    Bush, La
    What makes these stupid liberals think that removing firearms from law abiding citizens is going to reduce crime in this country? Give every person a gun and teach them to use it, and you will see violent crime cease to exist.

I'd love to torch these idiots.

XD-GEM

XD-GEM
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jun 8, 2008
    New Orleans
    So e-mail Vitter and Landrieu and tell them how you feel. Then call your friends around the country and ask them to e-mail their Senators. The only way to stop it is to cause enough fuss.

dangermoney

C'est Chaud Peur Lot
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Nov 16, 2008
    Gonzales, LA
    What makes these stupid liberals think that removing firearms from law abiding citizens is going to reduce crime in this country? Give every person a gun and teach them to use it, and you will see violent crime cease to exist.

It has never been about reducing crime.

W1nds0rF0x

Snap, Crackle, Pop.
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Oct 8, 2007
    Baton Rouge

You misunderstand the real reason they want to get rid of guns....

XD-GEM

XD-GEM
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jun 8, 2008
    New Orleans
    Here's the reply I got from Sen. Vitter after I wrote in opposition to Holder. I haven't heard back from Sen. Landrieu yet.

Thank you for contacting me in opposition to the nomination of Eric Holder. I appreciate hearing from you on this important issue, and I agree with you.

As you know, President Obama nominated Eric Holder as U.S. Attorney General. Because of major problems that I have with his positions and actions on key issues, I oppose his nomination. Among my top concerns are his positions against Second Amendment rights and his involvement in pardons for some very serious criminals.

First, I have concerns about Mr. Holder's views on the Second Amendment and the possibility that he might attempt to erode our right to bear arms as Attorney General. The amicus brief he joined and filed in the U.S. Supreme Court case District of Columbia v. Heller argued that the Second amendment is not an individual right. I strongly oppose that position and am thankful that the Supreme Court did not follow the suggestions of Holder's brief in deciding the case. Also, there are serious questions about his involvement in pardons when he was Deputy Attorney General in the Clinton Administration. Mr. Holder played an active role in approving clemency for 16 convicts from terrorist organizations linked by the FBI to more than 130 bombings and six murders. In addition, he played a prominent role in promoting the pardon of Marc Rich, who had been featured on the FBI's "Ten Most Wanted" list and was the subject of investigation for nearly two decades. Despite the fact that Rich was a fugitive who had refused to submit to our justice system, he was given a pardon, in contradiction to virtually every standard ordinarily applied by pardon attorneys. Because of these concerns, I will vote against his confirmation.

Again, thank you for sharing your thoughts on this important issue. Please do not hesitate to contact me in the future about any other issue important to you.

Sincerely,

Senator David Vitter
    United States Senator

CajunTim

Premium CoonAss Member
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Oct 19, 2006
    Mandeville, LA
    Here's the reply I got from Sen. Vitter after I wrote in opposition to Holder. I haven't heard back from Sen. Landrieu yet.

Thank you for contacting me in opposition to the nomination of Eric Holder. I appreciate hearing from you on this important issue, and I agree with you.

I think Vitter has started a form letter for us.

Someone tweak it further for us.

Thanks
    Dear So&S0:

As you know, President Obama nominated Eric Holder as U.S. Attorney General. Because of major problems that I have with his positions and actions on key issues, I oppose his nomination. Among my top concerns are his positions against Second Amendment rights and his involvement in pardons for some very serious criminals.

First, I have concerns about Mr. Holder's views on the Second Amendment and the possibility that he might attempt to erode our right to bear arms as Attorney General. The amicus brief he joined and filed in the U.S. Supreme Court case District of Columbia v. Heller argued that the Second amendment is not an individual right. I strongly oppose that position and am thankful that the Supreme Court did not follow the suggestions of Holder's brief in deciding the case. Also, there are serious questions about his involvement in pardons when he was Deputy Attorney General in the Clinton Administration. Mr. Holder played an active role in approving clemency for 16 convicts from terrorist organizations linked by the FBI to more than 130 bombings and six murders. In addition, he played a prominent role in promoting the pardon of Marc Rich, who had been featured on the FBI's "Ten Most Wanted" list and was the subject of investigation for nearly two decades. Despite the fact that Rich was a fugitive who had refused to submit to our justice system, he was given a pardon, in contradiction to virtually every standard ordinarily applied by pardon attorneys. Because of these concerns, I would hope that you would vote against his confirmation.

As you can see society would not be a safer place when law abiding citizens are unarmed and government officials are putting criminals back on the streets. Please, do your part to ensure that this does not become reality.

Thank you,

sylvest

Come and Take It
    Rating - 100%
    69   0   0
    Oct 17, 2007
    Denham Springs

i got the exact same letter from vitter

XD-GEM

XD-GEM
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jun 8, 2008
    New Orleans
    Oh, I don't doubt that it was a form letter; but at least it states a position, which is more than most replies from politicians. I contacted both Louisiana Senators on the same day and did not get even a cursory reply from Landrieu.

I think we're in for a tough couple of years, at least.

CajunTim

Premium CoonAss Member
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Oct 19, 2006
    Mandeville, LA
    Im saying if we can get a good form letter going we can post it on several boards and mail them to everyone and claim to be from their disterict

Swampy

Chicken head
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Nov 3, 2006
    Harvey, La.
    Dont forget the Gun Show Loophole.....

They always say... "Cop Killer bullets" and "Gun show Loophole... "
    ******* Commie bastards ....

More importantly ... How did this thread get to page 2 of talking about yet another Obama ******** decision pushing this country toward defenseless sheep, without Penguin jumping in to defend him????

Top Bottom