Ethanol in gas

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • noob

enthusiast
    Silver Member
    Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    New Orleans
    My car drives fine with it, but i can definitely tell a difference in gas milage. On the interstate i usually get 17 to 18 mpg with premium gas, with premium and 10% ethanol, i get 14.5 to 15.5 mpgs. I tested this driving to baton rouge from new orleans and also driving to houston every other week. Also with the 10% ethanol, my stop and go mileage is a disgrace.

Dave328

Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Jul 11, 2007
    Gretna
    Big problem for some with ethanol, like VigilanteSniper said, is the water. It is wreaking havoc on some motorcycle gastanks that are made of a certain blend of nylon. My Monster's tank expanded almost 4 inches :eek: to the point where it wasn't resting on the frame anymore. All due to the hygroscopic nature of ethanol and the nylon absorbing that water.
    It's all just to prop up the corn farmers. Nobody is allowed to sink or swim on their own any more. F'n Nanny State!:mad:

yamatitan

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 27, 2009
    Prairieville, LA
    Thanks for the info.

Doesn't the engine need to be modified to use it, or is it not that big a deal?

Yes, you need to do a few things if your car isnt rated for it. Most newer cars 2007 and up are capable of it, It will usually be flex fuel badge somewhere or a tag inside the gas tank cover saying E85. My 2006 Nissan Titan is rated for it.

dtd80

Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Nov 21, 2009
    Abbeville, Louisiana
    I believe most vehicles will run fine on it. Power/mileage won't be as great. I hate it personally since it doesn't seem to solve a problem but create more. Sounds stupid but that's how some things work in the U.S.

Here's an idea, bring back non-ethanol gasoline and watch the mileage go up! Increase MPG! That means use less gas! OMG, I think imma get assassinated for that one....

bs875

Rating - 100%
    232   0   0
    Mar 14, 2009
    Baton Rouge
    I've had to replace two fuel pumps since they changed to ethanol blend. Maybe it's coincidence but this is what a mechanic said would happen on the local news. He said he went from 1-2 fuel pump changes a month to 4-5 per week after the switch.

Praesul Presul

On Target.....Sometimes
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 15, 2008
    Western KY
    Ethanol is a political ploy and a handout. It doesn't reduce your carbon footprint - if you are foolish enough to care about such things. They compare the cost of ethanol gas no to pure gas years ago when they talk about gas prices, but the cost of pure gas is even higher.

I read this regarding the performance and cost-effectiveness:
    http://www.edmunds.com/fuel-economy/e85-vs-gasoline-comparison-test.html

Then I started looking for gas here:
    http://pure-gas.org/index.jsp?stateprov=LA

Big problem for some with ethanol, like VigilanteSniper said, is the water. It is wreaking havoc on some motorcycle gastanks that are made of a certain blend of nylon. My Monster's tank expanded almost 4 inches :eek: to the point where it wasn't resting on the frame anymore. All due to the hygroscopic nature of ethanol and the nylon absorbing that water.
    It's all just to prop up the corn farmers. Nobody is allowed to sink or swim on their own any more. F'n Nanny State!:mad:

It should be noted that corn farmers need no propping up. http://www.suite101.com/content/most-valuable-us-food-export-is-corn-a61875 As one of the US's largest exports they can find a home for it. Most corn farmers think ethanol is BS - at least the ones I know. Next look in the grocery the next time there or your pantry to notice how much stuff as high fructose corn syrup in it.

The ethanol kick is purely the environmentalists/polictians at work.....not the corn farmers.

Yes farming is subsidized in many ways but that is thanks to our nanny government who has for decades refused to let capitialism take its course.

Last edited:

BOSS302

Pain is temporary
    Rating - 100%
    34   0   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    SELA
    Yes, you need to do a few things if your car isnt rated for it. Most newer cars 2007 and up are capable of it, It will usually be flex fuel badge somewhere or a tag inside the gas tank cover saying E85. My 2006 Nissan Titan is rated for it.

Not true. E10 has been in the system for well over 20yrs, it's nothing new. Whether it's a carb'd small block or an LS3, it will burn just fine. The only issues as mentioned before are in case where the gasoline will sit for extended periods. The ethanol breaks down very quickly and can gum up fuel lines and carbs on your equipment. This can happen in vehicle also, but is not very common because most people will take the necessary precautions when storing a vehicle for that amount of time. Fuel stabilizers are a must in fuel that will be sitting for periods of longer than a couple of weeks unused.

Ethanol does not burn as efficiently as gasoline, that is why our mileage is crappy on the stuff.

Last edited:

drumz2129

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 29, 2009
    Sulphur, La.
    Not true. E10 has been in the system for well over 20yrs, it's nothing new. Whether it's a carb'd small block or an LS3, it will burn just fine. The only issues as mentioned before are in case where the gasoline will sit for extended periods. The ethanol breaks down very quickly and can gum up fuel lines and carbs on your equipment. This can happen in vehicle also, but is not very common because most people will take the necessary precautions when storing a vehicle for that amount of time. Fuel stabilizers are a must in fuel that will be sitting for periods of longer than a couple of weeks unused.

Ethanol does not burn as efficiently as gasoline, that is why our mileage is crappy on the stuff.

I think he was referring to E85

drumz2129

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 29, 2009
    Sulphur, La.
    That's where I always went, on Ruth St., now its ethanol.

You must be talking about the conoco on the corner of Ruth and Patton that used to be a pilot station. Their gas does contain up to 10% ethanol. The two Conoco stations that I am talking about is the one in front of Brookshire Bro. grocery store on Ruth and the one on Beglis Pkwy by WW Lewis and the Ford dealer. Those are the two places I fill up and they have stickers on their pump that states their gas contains no ethanol.

yamatitan

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 27, 2009
    Prairieville, LA

Everything in that post was referring to E85 and not E10 sorry for any confusion.

jimdana1942

oldtimer
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Aug 11, 2008
    Sulphur, La.
    You must be talking about the conoco on the corner of Ruth and Patton that used to be a pilot station. Their gas does contain up to 10% ethanol. The two Conoco stations that I am talking about is the one in front of Brookshire Bro. grocery store on Ruth and the one on Beglis Pkwy by WW Lewis and the Ford dealer. Those are the two places I fill up and they have stickers on their pump that states their gas contains no ethanol.

The one at Brookshires now hAS STICKERS ON ALL THEIR PUMPS STATING 10% ETHANOL. iT CAUGHT ME OFF GUARD AS i HAVE BEEN GETTIN' MY GAS THERE FOR YEARS 'CAUSE IT WAS ALCOHOL FRee but not anymore. Don't know about the one by Lewis though.

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Spydy
    Top Bottom