Eurasian Collared Doves

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • acme_labs

Purveyor of randomness
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 17, 2008
    Baton Rougeish
    What is the story on these as far as really being a non-native nuisance? Do they really want them gone, or do they want to manage them. I have seen them, growling through the air, and also their hybrids...

hot shot

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 13, 2006
    Prairieville La
    Im not totally sure, so take this with a grain of wheat (pun intended)

the eurasian (collard) dove is not native to the US (they may be north american just futher south. im not sure)

so they don't regulate them. they don't count toward your bag limit. I don't know that they are necessarly a nusince, I don't know how much damage doves can do to a field etc.

I know I like that they aren't regulated though. its nice being able to kill 35 doves legally, and they're bigger than a mourning dove they're about the size of a pigeon.

maybe the reason they're trying to thin em out is so they don't cross with out native mourning doves?????

alls I know is im ready for september!!!!

leVieux

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 9, 2008
    New Orleans
    I first saw one of those in far western Lafayette Parish in 1976. It took a while to find out what it was. Since then, I have seen quite a few, all up and down the coast.
    They have been in the Caribbean for decades.
    They eat just like mourning doves or whitewings. I have never seen enough in one place to "hunt", though.
    leVieux

hot shot

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 13, 2006
    Prairieville La
    I first saw one of those in far western Lafayette Parish in 1976. It took a while to find out what it was. Since then, I have seen quite a few, all up and down the coast.
    They have been in the Caribbean for decades.
    They eat just like mourning doves or whitewings. I have never seen enough in one place to "hunt", though.
    leVieux

As far as my experiences have been, you dont hunt them, they just happen to be mixed in with mourning doves. They dont count toward your limit, so you can kill as many as you want in addition to the "regular" doves.

Top Bottom