Explosion at CF Industries

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Metryshooter

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jul 11, 2010
    It's surprising it hasn't happened there sooner. It's been a few years since I've been there, but that place was a joke for safety. I'm waiting to hear about Georgia Gulf next. I've had operators tell me they let some things go unreported for dear if losing their job. Sad.

oleheat

Professional Amateur
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 18, 2009
    Damn....Those poor families. What a sad week this has been....

jmcrawf1

Rating - 100%
    70   0   0
    Jan 20, 2008
    Madisonville
    It's surprising it hasn't happened there sooner. It's been a few years since I've been there, but that place was a joke for safety. I'm waiting to hear about Georgia Gulf next. I've had operators tell me they let some things go unreported for dear if losing their job. Sad.

I have a buddy who was saying that same thing. *I don't work in a plant* but he was saying that every accident, no matter how small is to be reported (paper cut, bee sting, bump on the head, small cut etc.) He was saying if it isn't a mis-engineering on the part of the plant, they classify it a your fault and fire you for it.

Emperor

Seriously Misunderstood!
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 7, 2011
    Nether region

I have a buddy who was saying that same thing. *I don't work in a plant* but he was saying that every accident, no matter how small is to be reported (paper cut, bee sting, bump on the head, small cut etc.) He was saying if it isn't a mis-engineering on the part of the plant, they classify it a your fault and fire you for it.

:eek4:

There are people you can call to stop this!

andimthejr

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 9, 2013
    westbank
    I knew a guy who ran a scaffold crew and he literally saved one of his workers life but since he endangered himself they considered him risk and fired him

Btl_Rkt_Sci

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 19, 2011
    FWIW, I heard this was a tank-truck explosion. So I wouldn't chalk it up to negligence or faulty engineering in the plant just yet.

And I'm hoping some of these safety stories I'm hearing are embellished. I've been in and out of several plants and never felt in danger of being kicked out/fired for reporting a safety incident. Now, that being said, there have been instances where people have been let go for endangering themselves and others by intentionally breaking the rules (taking governors out of golf carts and driving them recklessly, not following procedure for confined space entries, etc..). I've also been in situations where an employee, say, broke a nipple in a combustible service line, reported it, and was not let go.

Last edited:

Emperor

Seriously Misunderstood!
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 7, 2011
    Nether region
    FWIW, I heard this was a tank-truck explosion. So I wouldn't chalk it up to negligence or faulty engineering in the plant just yet.

And I'm hoping some of these safety stories I'm hearing a embellished. I've been in and out of several plants and never felt in danger of being kicked out/fired for not reporting a safety incident. Now, that being said, there have been instances where people have been let go for endangering themselves and others by intentionally breaking the rules (taking governors out of golf carts and driving them recklessly, not following procedure for confined space entires, etc..). I've also been in situations where an employees, say, broke a nipple in a combustible service line, reported it, and was not let go.

I'm with you! This crap is insane! I completely understand a man feeling obligated to do certain things beyond normal to hold on to a good job, but this kind of stuff ain't cool.

Any of you plant guys in this situation need to weigh your options against your priorities.

RStewart

Not Easily Impressed
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Mar 14, 2009
    Gonzales, LA
    Almost as many people get hurt or killed trying to rescue someone without proper training or equipment. That's why you never try to do a resue unless you are trained and properly equipped. It's hard standing by, but it's even harder notifying 2 families of an injury, than one.

troy_mclure

Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 13, 2010
    Central
    as a diver i worked on several platforms/facilities that we were run off from for refusing to work until a safety issue had been corrected.
    instead of correcting the issue(usually not clearing/flushing a line, refusing lockout tagout, or even securing a 2" line with a pretty bad gas leak 30' from our work site) they just told us to leave, usually with lots of screaming/threats involved.

scooterj

Stupid is 'posed to hurt
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 14, 2008
    LaPlace

Shure could be negligence. If the truck was not propperly grounded, static electricity could have been the ignition source.

Top Bottom