F-Class/600 Yard Wind Reading Class November 21, 2010

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • FreedomGunworks

"Fearless"
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 28, 2010
    Camilla, GA
    Oil in the bbl can cause the velocity to go up, solvent in the chamber can cause pressure. We've run several Savage bbls through the shop here and they like that load in the factory bbls.

tactical723

3 Gun / F Class Player
    Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Feb 16, 2008
    Northshore - Covington, LA
    Bobby that sounds about right, i was pushing a cotton patch with solvent in the break in phase and then pushing a clean patch, but I am sure there may have been some residual solvent in the barrel and chamber, I will know for sure at the next range session as she is now broken in

HiCapMag

Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 11, 2009
    Baton Rouge, La
    What do you think about the 6.5 Grendel, and can it make major, safe

Survey says no.

Yall have fun. Maybe I can make the next one. Must go to the woods this weekend to feed the family....its the cross I must bear :D

Since this has gotten into load development.....on the 308 gas guns, it was mentioned they are only able to take a lighter load vs. a bolt gun. Is this only because it is a gas driven device, or other reasons. If the former, would an adjustable gas block (JP) solve the issue?

I dont have a 308 gasser, just wondering.

kz45

1911 cool-aid drinker
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Jun 8, 2008
    Baton Rouge
    I saw a thread on Enos that hinnings had his at major, had ben for a couple of years, a few other people too, but they wouldn't post their loads, and everyone else is saying they are crazy!!! for doing it

kz45

1911 cool-aid drinker
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Jun 8, 2008
    Baton Rouge
    Major power factor, bullet weight x1000 divided by speed, in pistol its 165, rifle I'm not sure, so if I'm shooting a 223(minor pf) it takes two hits to neutralize the target, 308 (major) takes one hit in the a/c zone

HiCapMag

Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 11, 2009
    Baton Rouge, La
    QUOTE=FreedomGunworks;608685]There are some propellants available that will take the 6.5 to major PF, the issue is they are not listed as popular powders for that cartridge.[/QUOTE]

Hummmmm......HiCap becomes intrigued once again.....Joe, still got my upper that has yet to be shot....we may have to experiment a bit. :naughty:[

Any load data you can share Mr. Keigans?

FreedomGunworks

"Fearless"
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 28, 2010
    Camilla, GA
    All you've got to do is get a 120gr bullet to 2700 fps, but you're not going to do that with an 18" bbl. You better plan to go 24" to make major. Another possibility is going to be the Hornady "Superformance" powder when it is released.

As load development and testing continued, I discovered the 6.5 PPC was very effective and accurate using medium weight 6.5 mm bullets. My initial goal of achieving 2650 fps was surpassed as I developed loads using moly-coated Cauteruccio 128-grain bullets achieving 2750-2800 fps. I've tried a variety of powders, and right now Vihtavuori N530 is the most promising in terms of velocity, but I'm convinced the cartridge will perform well with a variety of propellants.

Golden Dragon

Stay Alert.... Stay Alive
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    171   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Mandeville
    Just a reminder about this Sunday the 21st.
    These are the folks I have confirmed.

Confirmed-
    1- Owen 502
    2- KZ45
    3- Nortac
    4- Tactical 723
    5- Request Dust Off
    6- Zeek
    7- GB300wm
    8- Mickey
    9- Grayson
    10-12 Golden Dragon +2
    13-Barney88pdc

If anyone wants to come out and watch, please feel free to.

We plan to get started at 9 AM.

Fix -one of our guy will be out of town

Top Bottom