Facebook banning ads from Friends of NRA

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • SIBBSLSU

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 26, 2011
    Mandeville, LA
    http://radio.foxnews.com/toddstarnes/top-stories/facebook-bans-ads-from-conservative-newspaper.html

Don't think things like this are really hapening...

Facebook has recently banned our ads promoting a charitable banquet hosted by the Friends of NRA - Northshore Chapter. We are a volunteer run non-profit organization that promotes the shooting sports.

Here is an email just received from Facebook today. Going as far as to threaten termination of our account.

"We've noticed that you are currently running Facebook Ads that violate our Advertising Guidelines or Terms of Use. It is important to us that a person’s experience with Facebook ads enhances their overall experience on Facebook. Our advertising system aims to show the most highly-relevant, social ads that provide value to each user. Continuing to run and create ads that violate our policies may result in additional action being taken on your account, including possible termination."

Last edited:

JNieman

Dush
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 11, 2011
    Lafayette
    That's the one I assumed, but not having seen the ads, I figured I'd ask first, to see if there was even an attempt to follow the guidelines.

Emperor

Seriously Misunderstood!
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 7, 2011
    Nether region
    If this is true, and they are targeting FNRA groups unfairly; the obvious recourse is for all pro 2nd A people that actually use this service to terminate their accounts. I am sure they would feel that.

The sad reality is, people that should, won't care enough; and those dummies who are living fantasies out on Wastebook are too stupid to care.

They are publically held, so if it can be proven they are discriminating; sue them! It's the American way!

SIBBSLSU

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 26, 2011
    Mandeville, LA
    From Facebook ad guidelines:

"J. Weapons and Explosives - Ads may not promote the sale or use of weapons, ammunition, or explosives."

From Facebook prohibited content policy:

"Weapons:
    Ads and Sponsored Stories may not promote firearms, ammunition, paintball guns, bb guns, fireworks, explosives, pepper spray, knives, tasers, or weapons of any kind, including those used for self-defense. Ads and Sponsored Stories may not directly or indirectly link to landing pages where users can purchase any of these products.

Images of weapons are generally acceptable, as long as the weapon is not pointed directly at the user.

Ads and Sponsored Stories promoting blogs or groups that exist to help connect users whose interests are related to these products are allowed as long as the service does not lead to the sale of any weapons or explosives.

Acceptable: "Gun Exposition Today"
    Unacceptable: "Get your ammo here"

Emperor

Seriously Misunderstood!
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 7, 2011
    Nether region
    From Facebook ad guidelines:

"J. Weapons and Explosives - Ads may not promote the sale or use of weapons, ammunition, or explosives."

From Facebook prohibited content policy:

"Weapons:
    Ads and Sponsored Stories may not promote firearms, ammunition, paintball guns, bb guns, fireworks, explosives, pepper spray, knives, tasers, or weapons of any kind, including those used for self-defense. Ads and Sponsored Stories may not directly or indirectly link to landing pages where users can purchase any of these products.

Images of weapons are generally acceptable, as long as the weapon is not pointed directly at the user.

Ads and Sponsored Stories promoting blogs or groups that exist to help connect users whose interests are related to these products are allowed as long as the service does not lead to the sale of any weapons or explosives.

Acceptable: "Gun Exposition Today"
    Unacceptable: "Get your ammo here"

They are garbage! Cause a stink for them. It's probably some little snot nose douche at the HQ that checks ads; and brought their personal BS to work with them.

Also, in the context of their terms; I think they are wrong. And as you know the Friends of NRA do not "promote" firearms.

Last edited:

Hitman

® ™
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Sep 4, 2008
    Lake Charles
    Well....Facebook is a Private Company so they can do what they want.......

But yea they do lean to the left of things. Kirk Cameron got the same shut-down for his YouTube Trailer of a movie until the backlash overwhelmed the tard admin who thought it'd be cool to stomp on him just because he was is a Christian promoting Christianity. It's now back online and his page has been unlocked.

Either way as a Private Company they can be as UNFAIR as they want to be.

Facebook Market Cap @ 63.61 BILLION!
    https://www.google.com/finance?q=NASDAQ:FB&sa=X&ei=xiTwUZb3BYqC9QS8ooGYAg&ved=0CCsQ2AE#

Yea, they care about the NRA and it's friends.... :rolleyes:

JNieman

Dush
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 11, 2011
    Lafayette
    Yea, it sucks but oh well.

Facebook provides a very valuable service for free-to-most, and has a set of rules they require us to follow. Do so or don't use their service. They have amassed one of the biggest targeted-marketing crowds that gives people the opportunity for nearly-google-level of invasive advertisement, so they are in the position of power, here. It's business for them.

Good luck getting people to boycott Facebook like they supposedly do for anti-gun restaurants ;)

Hitman

® ™
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Sep 4, 2008
    Lake Charles
    Good luck getting people to boycott Facebook

Ain-t-Nobody-Got-Time-Fo-Dat-sweet-brown-31241125-480-330.jpg

Emperor

Seriously Misunderstood!
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 7, 2011
    Nether region
    Yea, it sucks but oh well.

Facebook provides a very valuable service for free-to-most, and has a set of rules they require us to follow. Do so or don't use their service. They have amassed one of the biggest targeted-marketing crowds that gives people the opportunity for nearly-google-level of invasive advertisement, so they are in the position of power, here. It's business for them.

Good luck getting people to boycott Facebook like they supposedly do for anti-gun restaurants ;)

What the Friends of NRA is advertising doesn't break their rules as posted. He is advertising a fundraiser.

Emperor

Seriously Misunderstood!
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 7, 2011
    Nether region
    Well....Facebook is a Private Company so they can do what they want.......

But yea they do lean to the left of things. Kirk Cameron got the same shut-down for his YouTube Trailer of a movie until the backlash overwhelmed the tard admin who thought it'd be cool to stomp on him just because he was is a Christian promoting Christianity. It's now back online and his page has been unlocked.

Either way as a Private Company they can be as UNFAIR as they want to be.

Facebook Market Cap @ 63.61 BILLION!
    https://www.google.com/finance?q=NASDAQ:FB&sa=X&ei=xiTwUZb3BYqC9QS8ooGYAg&ved=0CCsQ2AE#

Yea, they care about the NRA and it's friends.... :rolleyes:

They are a publically held stock!

Emperor

Seriously Misunderstood!
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 7, 2011
    Nether region
    Touche'

I'm sure the AD will get put back up. It's like when an overzealous MoD on a website bans someone, and the Owner has to come in and undo it.

You know how many Admin/MoD's Facebook has? :eek3:

I realize nothing will happen. But, they are held to a different standard of rules than truly private companies though.

I love that freedom to be able to tell people to get f'ed if I choose!

I will tell you this about Foolsbook; when I need to find a dirt bag that tries to beat me out of money, it's a treasure trove of information. ;) People are so stupid!

JNieman

Dush
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 11, 2011
    Lafayette
    It may get put back up but come on, they ban the advertising of the /use/ of guns and I don't think you can argue that promoting the NRA is anything but. It has a picture of a colonial rifleman in the logo.

Hope it gets resolved; I'm just cynical about Facebook in this aspect.

cajun_64

Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Mar 22, 2012
    Abbeville
    It may get put back up but come on, they ban the advertising of the /use/ of guns and I don't think you can argue that promoting the NRA is anything but. It has a picture of a colonial rifleman in the logo.

The violation is that you are not paying them to advertise, possibly?
    Hell, DD is on face book and I see them posting what is available all the time, along with others

That or someone reported your advertisement, which is highly possible

Emperor

Seriously Misunderstood!
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 7, 2011
    Nether region

I would argue that the Friends of NRA are promoting, building, and fostering character in children by affording them opportunities to expand their horizons and social skills, and by raising awareness about safety! :p

Pacioli

Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 10, 2009
    Baton Rouge
    I don't get the Facebook thing. I was raised to not hang my dirty laundry on the line in the back yard. Apparently I'm in the minority. Good luck with the boycott........

From CNBC.com
    Facebook - The social-networking giant posted earnings of 19 cents a share, excluding one-time items, on revenue of $1.81 billion, exceeding Wall Street expectations for 14 cents a share on sales of $1.62 billion. In addition, the company said its daily and monthly active users soared more than 20 percent year over year. Shares surged in extended-hours trading.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    cajuntiger84
    Top Bottom