Factory .338 lapua hunting ammo ???

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • bjb550

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 16, 2008
    So i'm planning on using .338 lapua mag for hunting primarily long range. I've found alot of factory ammo but it almost all seems to me match ammo and from what I've read it is not recommended to hunt with match ammo as it doesn't have the proper expansion like hunting ammo does. Anyone know of anywhere or anyone that sells factory hunting ammo in either 250 or 300 grain.
    Found some HSM ammo but don't know anything about the quality of there ammo found it at thehuntingshack.com
    Not setup for reloading which would prolly be the best thing and have no experience in reloading :confused:
    Any help would be much appreciated

Last edited:

Ritten

SSST Mad Scientist
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Dec 8, 2007
    Thibodaux, Louisiana
    For squirrel I'd just go ahead and use the match stuff. :D

If you're looking to shoot out past 800yds then I wouldn't think bullet design will be your biggest concern more-so than shot placement. Considering that, you'll want to shoot what holds it's accuracy out that far and stay with the match kings or Scenars anyway. This ought to be plenty sufficient inside of that though:

http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct/?productNumber=687245

bjb550

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 16, 2008
    As for squirrel hunting lol I think that would be the most expensive squirrel I've ever shot, if I could find any of the pieces .

Ritten is right, I'm mostly looking for hunting rounds as all resources online I've found DO NOT
    recomment using match ammunition for hunting because of the bullets design. Match bullets do not properly expand, not that it won't kill you've just got to have precise shot placement.
    I've started researching reloading and have found some starter kits so I am looking at that being an option. Also I am sure that as the popularity of the round goes up we'll see more variations of factory rounds available.

Thses are all I've been able to find so far but I know no one who has used them yet.
    http://store.thehuntingshack.com/hsm338lapua25ogrgrandslam.aspx

Last edited:
    Top Bottom