Family dog breeds

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Yrdawg

*Banned*
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 24, 2006
    Big Woods
    German Shorthaired Pointer

german-shorthaired-pointer.jpg

BlueTik X Pyrenees

DSCF0136.jpg

Catahoula Leopard Cur

DSCF0141.jpg

The Blue tik X , is breeding hillbilly style for what you want. I got it in this dog and others, the Leopard Cur is Bozo RIP

Hitman

® ™
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Sep 4, 2008
    Lake Charles

Yup... BUT!!! You should be able to have a year guarantee on health. And you get several generations of information. You know where the dog came from. Depends, going this route could be great if you have dogs susceptible to major issues.
    It separates the backyard careless breeders by far.

Sure does, Most reputable Lab breeders garuntee 26 month health actually. That's right after you should be able to get their hip test done. if their hips are bad, (not likely from a Rep. breeder) they usually offer full refund.

BUT I could never justify paying $2200 for a house pet. :p

Now paying $1000+ for a Lab/Working Dog is different. He's going to work for me for the better part of 12 years.(hopefully)

But to pay a thousand dollars or more for a dog to lay around the house eat thousands of dollars of dog food cost me thousands of dollars in Vet cost over the course of 10 YEARS!...just…so I can pet him?! nah...

I just can't justify that in my brain housing group. :p

But hey, that's just me ;)

The thing about pets is that whether mutt or full blood, their owners love them the same but…

I will say though that most Full Blooded dog owners seem to be more responsible.
    I hear and have seen with my own eyes folks losing their mutt dogs, allowing them to free roam/breed all over the place etc. etc.

I've just never really seen this attitude with someone's who's paid good money for a registered breed. I've invested over a thousand $$ into my pup already and he's not even 5 months old. You can bet your ass he doesn't get to roam the country side where he can be shot, run over, stolen, beat up or killed by other dogs etc. That **** ain't happening! lol

Also like you alluded to Cat, allowing BYB’s to profit from deluding 'said' breed by not keeping breeding standards does just that. Dilutes the breed and does the breed an injustice.

I, like Cat, take great satisfaction in being able to use AKC in being able to look at my dogs bloodline all the way back to the VERY FIRST LABRADORS! Now that's cool! ;)

Last edited:

apso1857

Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Feb 27, 2011
    Crowley, LA
    I personally would not have a potentially aggressive dog if there is a chance of lil kids and their friends or even your friends in the house.
    Although I do agree with you, my 10,8,and 5 year old daughters treat Hooch like a big teddy bear. Even my 2 year old autistic nephew tries to ride him like a horse. He's highly protective of them, and has never shown any aggression towards them. I do feel sorry for anyone who would try to harm any of those children while he's around though.

See, I wouldn't own either one of those dogs, they have massive breathing problems.
    I've seen the breeding stock (one of which was American Leavitt Bulldogs) that was used to breed my dog. Believe it or not I haven't seen many breathing problems with the Am BD's. Maybe is some others, but that's just my opinion soo far.

Last edited:

Hitman

® ™
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Sep 4, 2008
    Lake Charles
    No dogs should be around small children unattended.

All dogs should be treated as if they are potentially aggressive.

The difference is if a Lab attacks a small child causing serious bodily harm or death it's consider a freak accident.
    If a Pit does it, no surprise and you might go to jail for allowing such a thing to happen.

So I'll repeat;

No dogs should be around small children unattended.

All dogs should be treated as if they are potentially aggressive.

Millions of Huge Aggressive looking dogs go about every day without biting someone just like I might go every day of my life without being robbed or without someone trying to kill or harm my family.

But that doesn't mean I'm not in a constant state of preparedness for either.

The fact of the matter is that different breeds carry higher risk.

Buying any breed of Pit/Bulldog/Mastiff that is NOT registered is only increasing the risk. Goes back to breeding standards and responsibility of owners/breeders.

Last edited:

XD-GEM

XD-GEM
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jun 8, 2008
    New Orleans
    Both the best and worst dogs I ever had were mutts (Heinz 57 for you, Cat).

The best was part lab, part cocker spaniel and God only knows what else. He was abandoned with his entire litter in a box under one of our cars at work. He was great with the kids, a good watchdog, and a great all-around companion right up to the day he died of intestinal cancer that neither we nor our vet had any inkling about.

The worst was an absolutely beautiful mix, son of a full blood German Sheperd father and a mixed Lab/Golden Retriever mother. he was built like a shepherd, but with LAb paws. A nearly pure white coat with a tan drape on the shoulder. But he was the most ornery, stupid, and obnoxious dog ever. He was virtually untrainable and quite destructive. After he began taking pleasure in purposely knocking down my kids, I decided he had to go, but one of my neighbors wanted him because she liked his menacing presence as a guard dog.

I warned her that he was destructive and said that her lovely rose gardens would get destroyed first chance he got. I was wrong. The first thing he destroyed was he back porch. He grabbed hold of one of the supports and pulled it until the whole thing collapsed. Surprisingly, she kept him.

Jack

Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Dec 9, 2010
    Covington
    I've seen the breeding stock (one of which was American Leavitt Bulldogs) that was used to breed my dog. Believe it or not I haven't seen many breathing problems with the Am BD's. Maybe is some others, but that's just my opinion soo far.

The Americans aren't as bad as the English, and the frenchies are the worst. Once they make a mutt it's usually much better. I always recommend mutts, they usually healthier dogs.

Moondew

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 21, 2011
    BR
    Although I do agree with you, my 10,8,and 5 year old daughters treat Hooch like a big teddy bear. Even my 2 year old autistic nephew tries to ride him like a horse. He's highly protective of them, and has never shown any aggression towards them. I do feel sorry for anyone who would try to harm any of those children while he's around though.

Having had an assortment of kids around in the past an always having had a variety of dogs from Chihuahua to Germ Shepards, (one "heinz 57" was among the best I have ever had till a burgler killed her.) I have seen some other folks somewhat aggressive dogs get more aggressive with older age. Parents now will look for little excuse to sue if a dog even snaps at a child.

Greed ($$$) seems to have no problem "dropping the hammer" while the dog owner says (he/she) is a good dog and wouldn't blah blah.....all too common now. Gotta keep the attys in business. I was surprised at how many towns in the US and several countries in Europe have restrictions or ban certain breeds. :confused:

Or owners getting breeds without realizing what they are getting into. Ex. walk thru animal control and see the animals there. Ever see how many animals are out there some in rescue orgs, others being lined up to be put down or turned loose on a side road to fend for themselves?:mad:

All I can say is choose the right dog for your needs and experience.....kind of like a new shooter choosing their first firearm...

Last edited:

TomTerrific

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 11, 2010
    Centre, Ky
    German Shorthairs, Brittanys great dogs also. I personally would not have a potentially aggressive dog if there is a chance of lil kids and their friends or even your friends in the house. And keep in mind young 'uns will chew and big 'un with tails have a tendency of sweeping things off tables in the house.....

Keep researching...

It is said that bassets are incapable of biting a person and I have seen them rated as the best breed around kids.

If mine see a person, another dog, and a child, they will go to the child.

Once I was walking Maggie and a school bus unloaded. The neighborhood kids knew her and gathered around her being nice. She got uncomfortable, and instead of growling and being defensive, she came out of the group and heeled on me.

YMMV.
    :eh:

Cat

*Banned*
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 5, 2009
    NE of Alexandria, Cenla
    I agree! My Dad's basset was able to sound the alarm with that deep hound bark. Definitely what I want at 2am. But.... Not in the HOWDY STRANGER!!! kind of way. Apple defeated the purpose of a guard dog there. His black lab does the same. Woof, woof, woof, did you come to pet me?

I want that behavior during the day absolutely. We're in campgounds alot and socialization is key here. At night, I want a different kind of bark.

LACamper

oldbie
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 3, 2007
    Metairie, LA
    Then you've never heard a lab bark like mine! Very ferocious sounding all the time. Then you walk up and the tail starts going. OTOH, god help the burglar that gets too close to that tail!

Mjolnir

*Banned*
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 12, 2009
    Baton Rouge, LA

Having had an assortment of kids around in the past an always having had a variety of dogs from Chihuahua to Germ Shepards, (one "heinz 57" was among the best I have ever had till a burgler killed her.) I have seen some other folks somewhat aggressive dogs get more aggressive with older age. Parents now will look for little excuse to sue if a dog even snaps at a child.

Greed ($$$) seems to have no problem "dropping the hammer" while the dog owner says (he/she) is a good dog and wouldn't blah blah.....all too common now. Gotta keep the attys in business. I was surprised at how many towns in the US and several countries in Europe have restrictions or ban certain breeds. :confused:

Or owners getting breeds without realizing what they are getting into. Ex. walk thru animal control and see the animals there. Ever see how many animals are out there some in rescue orgs, others being lined up to be put down or turned loose on a side road to fend for themselves?:mad:

All I can say is choose the right dog for your needs and experience.....kind of like a new shooter choosing their first firearm...

Except a dog is a gun that can press his own trigger.

Mjolnir

*Banned*
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 12, 2009
    Baton Rouge, LA
    It is said that bassets are incapable of biting a person and I have seen them rated as the best breed around kids.

If mine see a person, another dog, and a child, they will go to the child.

Once I was walking Maggie and a school bus unloaded. The neighborhood kids knew her and gathered around her being nice. She got uncomfortable, and instead of growling and being defensive, she came out of the group and heeled on me.

YMMV.
    :eh:

Really? I had one try to bite me once...

They TEND not to but they are individuals.

Mjolnir

*Banned*
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 12, 2009
    Baton Rouge, LA
    For those interested in the Mastiff breeds check out:

www.molosserdogs.com

For those, like Yrdawg, who are into working (hog, bear, lion) dogs check out:

www.boardogs.com

For those into Personal Protection try:

www.leerburg.com

BTW, I don't think Molossers are for non-experienced dog people - same with the "bull and terriers". Other nice breeds that require an experienced hand are WORKING STRAINS of the Livestock Guardian Breeds (Belgian Malinau, Dutch Shepherd, German Shepherd, etc.). In fact, these are not really classified as "Family Dogs" as I interpret the term and from what I glean from the OP.

Now !I! like them but one must also consider one's environment. A Bandogge in a major city or an apartment? HELL NO.

Cat sits on acreage which gives her options. Just beware of coyotes, Cher.

Cat

*Banned*
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 5, 2009
    NE of Alexandria, Cenla
    I knew Doxies have the potential. They were bred to be vicious. The short long length wasn't an accident. They were meant to go into badger dens. Not too many creatures wanted to mess with a badger.

it boils down to socialization and basic training. If you allow a small animal to think it's the pack leader, you have problems. Little dogs get away with it because they're "cute". Now in full disclosure, Mutt had it in her mind while Daddy was around, she was his alpha girl and I had to put up with it. Many mornings in bed we'd both give her scratches. I was barked back to my side of the bed and she'd scoot closer to Jody. We laughed because that dog was our heart, and when he left for the day I'd have my black shadow.

This time around not so much. We're going to do things a little different. Instead of a WTF have you been smoking expression, I'd like to go with an okay mama, yes ma'am route. ;)

TomTerrific

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 11, 2010
    Centre, Ky
    I knew Doxies have the potential. They were bred to be vicious. The short long length wasn't an accident. They were meant to go into badger dens. Not too many creatures wanted to mess with a badger.

it boils down to socialization and basic training. If you allow a small animal to think it's the pack leader, you have problems. Little dogs get away with it because they're "cute". Now in full disclosure, Mutt had it in her mind while Daddy was around, she was his alpha girl and I had to put up with it. Many mornings in bed we'd both give her scratches. I was barked back to my side of the bed and she'd scoot closer to Jody. We laughed because that dog was our heart, and when he left for the day I'd have my black shadow.

This time around not so much. We're going to do things a little different. Instead of a WTF have you been smoking expression, I'd like to go with an okay mama, yes ma'am route. ;)

I think what we are getting with doxies is the result of inbreeding over the last 50y or so.

I esp notice it in miniature ones. Most of them that I see are yipping little hyperactive s**ts.

The breed has gone to pot IMHO.
    :ohreally:

apso1857

Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Feb 27, 2011
    Crowley, LA
    For those interested in the Mastiff breeds check out:

www.molosserdogs.com

For those, like Yrdawg, who are into working (hog, bear, lion) dogs check out:

www.boardogs.com

For those into Personal Protection try:

www.leerburg.com

BTW, I don't think Molossers are for non-experienced dog people - same with the "bull and terriers". Other nice breeds that require an experienced hand are WORKING STRAINS of the Livestock Guardian Breeds (Belgian Malinau, Dutch Shepherd, German Shepherd, etc.). In fact, these are not really classified as "Family Dogs" as I interpret the term and from what I glean from the OP.

Now !I! like them but one must also consider one's environment. A Bandogge in a major city or an apartment? HELL NO.

Cat sits on acreage which gives her options. Just beware of coyotes, Cher.

Thats some good links and points you brought up. Thank you. I have some new sites to read while at work now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    mike933
    Top Bottom