Favorite 30-06

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Gman2255

Sho-nuff
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 23, 2008
    Independence; Hammond area
    Hi guys

I am coming into a large amount of 30-06 rounds and it seems like a good excuse to add another gun to the collection. I am not familiar with many 30-06 rifles so instead of researching all of them i figured i would ask yall what your favorites were and i could start from there.

Thanks
    Gman

Xenon

Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Jul 30, 2010
    Metairie
    I would say Winchester Model 70 or the Remington 700 for modern ammo. Both are pretty common, been around for years and are easy to find parts/customizable options for.

oleheat

Professional Amateur
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 18, 2009
    MY favorite is my BAR (no, not the military weapon).

(Oh- the uh, Garands are nice, too. :mamoru:)

del4

All around nice guy.
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Mar 22, 2009
    Walker
    What's the deal with no new ammo in garands? The only limitation I was aware of was nothing over 180 grains. I reload '06 but it's at normal pressure. 150g fmj over 47g of imr4895.

Gman2255

Sho-nuff
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 23, 2008
    Independence; Hammond area
    Thanks for all the responses guys, seems i should have listed the ammo i was getting. The ammo is handloaded and i am not sure of the specifics yet, working on that now. I do know they were loaded for hunting though. Do you think this will be a problem if i were to get a Garand? Also what would you consider a avg price for a Garand?

Last edited:

Tim67

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 20, 2010
    EBR
    What's the deal with no new ammo in garands? The only limitation I was aware of was nothing over 180 grains. I reload '06 but it's at normal pressure. 150g fmj over 47g of imr4895.

It's not a chamber pressure issue. It's the pressure at the gas port. The Garand has a long, slightly curved operating rod that's easy to damage if the port pressure is too high. Slow powders stay at high pressure longer and since there's no way for the consumer to know what powder is used in a given factory load, it's safer just not to use any that aren't labeled for the Garand. A McCann or Schuster gas plug can be tailored to work your Garand's action with the correct pressure from most any load-but you'll have to re-adjust every time you change ammo. IMR 4895, 4064, Varget, and Win 748 are all great for Garand loads.

Richard in LA

Mag Whore
    Rating - 100%
    109   0   0
    May 19, 2007
    St. Amant, LA
    Thanks for all the responses guys, seems i should have listed the ammo i was getting. The ammo is handloaded and i am not sure of the specifics yet, working on that now. I do know they were loaded for hunting though. Do you think this will be a problem if i were to get a Garand? Also what would you consider a avg price for a Garand?

For your best bang-for-your-buck in a garand, go here : http://www.thecmp.org/m1garand.htm

How much ammo are you talking about, and how well do you know the person whom loaded it? I'd wager that 95%+ of the members on this board would probably tell you be extremely cautions when shooting others reloaded ammo.

Garands are a ton of fun, but if the ammo is not all the same, (such as one lot with a different powder, or bullet weight, etc) even with an adjustable gas plug you can still damage the op rod if you are not very careful. You can get a remington 700 SPS and put an optic on it for about what a nice service grade garand would cost.

Top Bottom