Favorite powder for reloading 223 for plinking?

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • sawman

Coyote Warrior
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Kinder
    For plinking, it's hard to beat W844 mil-surplus pull down. It's cheaper than anything else and readily available in large quantity. Keep the good stuff for long range/accuracy rounds.

drumz2129

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 29, 2009
    Sulphur, La.
    if u want 2 do it on the cheap, dip the case in imr4895, fill 2 the bottom of the neck, seat a 55 gr fmj on top and go shooting!

How accurate do you think you could possibly get with this method? I don't think it is safe to recommend any kind of loading without properly measuring the charge. It could spell disaster for someone new to hand loading if they read this and assume it is an acceptable practice.

tangiltows

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 21, 2011
    Denham Springs, La
    That's pretty wild man, Please tell us that your just goofing off here...???
    did it for years when i reloaded 223. it's not something you would want to do for precision ammo but, works just fine if all you want to do is make noise. you really can't pack enough of it in the case to get yourself in a bind. worked for me w/ no problems.

stancel

Swamp Stalker
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Nov 7, 2008
    Carriere, MS
    if u want 2 do it on the cheap, dip the case in imr4895, fill 2 the bottom of the neck, seat a 55 gr fmj on top and go shooting!

I would bet I can meter powder into a case quicker than you can dip it into a jug and empty it back out till you are down to the desired eye ball level. Probably end up with less powder on my floor too.

To answer the original question, I love me some H335 under a 55gr FMJ.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom