Federal or state gun law

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Cat

*Banned*
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 5, 2009
    NE of Alexandria, Cenla
    On another forum, there are a bunch of women working up to hysteria because one saw her neighbor's three-ish year old daughter photographed holding an AR. No magazine, unloaded.

Some are saying its illegal in their state for children to hold a gun.

I know! I know! But before I weigh in and really not make any new "friends"... Is there anywhere in the country where a state says nobody under X-age can hold or handle a firearm?

Someone who said that lives in Oregon, I googled youth shooting events in Oregon. Definite hits there. But more are mouthing off about it.

So... Cities and such aside (if she lived in Chicago I'd say yeah she's right), state wise?

Cat

*Banned*
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 5, 2009
    NE of Alexandria, Cenla
    Screw it... Nevermind... Disregard...

I'm bugging out of that thread. Now it's OMG, a fully clothed child holding an assault weapon will gain the attention of violence seeking pedophiles.

BR55

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 27, 2013
    My standard answer to anyone saying something like this is always, Cite the Statute/Source or STFU. If you know there's a law against it, show me. Otherwise the conversation is over. That usually ends the argument.

Cat

*Banned*
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 5, 2009
    NE of Alexandria, Cenla
    The OP came back and said its not illegal. She is still freaking out but it's apparently legal, she looked. So maybe the thread will die down.

And that's a good response.

Just to clarify: I was thinking 3-4 yrs old, toddlers, when I said "X-age". Kids too young to really hold a rifle due to sheer physics.a

And I ask to verify I am correct in what I was going to type.

Last edited:

edman87k5

Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Oct 22, 2007
    Ventress, LA
    If anyone has a problem with a pic of my kid holding a gun (yes, there are quite a few of them out there holding various guns), they should not be friends with me or talk to me because it it rather obvious we dont have enough in common to carry a conversation. There are other things I can tell them to do also, but not in a public, family friendly forum!

AustinBR

Make your own luck
    Staff member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 22, 2012
    On another forum, there are a bunch of women working up to hysteria because one saw her neighbor's three-ish year old daughter photographed holding an AR. No magazine, unloaded.

I know! I know! But before I weigh in and really not make any new "friends"... Is there anywhere in the country where a state says nobody under X-age can hold or handle a firearm?

Someone who said that lives in Oregon, I googled youth shooting events in Oregon. Definite hits there. But more are mouthing off about it.

So... Cities and such aside (if she lived in Chicago I'd say yeah she's right), state wise?
    Wasn't this a big issue a year or so ago? Didn't some dad get his "kid-seeing-privileges" taken away temporarily for putting a picture of his kid on FB with an AR in their hand?

JLouv

Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 13, 2010
    Youngsville
    Wow.

I take my 5yo to the "store" all the time.

Every single time, she goes straight to the pink cricket and checks to see if it finally fits her (it doesn't) but she is aware of her muzzle sweep and trigger when she handles it.

Everyone in the store thinks its cute. She's gonna be responsible enough to have it one day. And I'll gladly buy it for her.

Just demonstrates the widening cultural divide.

AnnieOakleaf

LA CHP Instructor #725
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 16, 2011
    Elmwood, LA
    We have a standing policy with our 5 year old, if he asks to touch any gun we immediately stop and work with him. He has to first tell us the rules, stop, don't touch, run away, tell an adult. Than he has to help us show clear. Finally he can touch as long as he keeps the muzzle in a safe direction. We make sure either my husband or I do this as soon as he asks, because we use it as a reward for him not touching by himself. We did the same thing with our now 14 year old.

Bill Baldwin

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2012
    Ragley
    In some states a FOID card is required to handle a firearm. Illinois comes to mind.

I'm pretty sure in NY, too, (it may only be NYC) that you have to have a license before being legally allowed to hold a firearm. There was deputy that got in trouble earlier this year for taking her teen to the gun range and allowing him to shoot.

I_FLY_LOW

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 15, 2007
    Gonzales
    If anyone has a problem with a pic of my kid holding a gun (yes, there are quite a few of them out there holding various guns), they should not be friends with me or talk to me because it it rather obvious we dont have enough in common to carry a conversation. There are other things I can tell them to do also, but not in a public, family friendly forum!
    I have a problem...
    The pics aren't showing up! :D

Annieoakleaf, that's a pretty cool way of introducing and raising children with safe firearm handling.
    :rockon:

Top Bottom