Fencing question

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Metryshooter

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jul 11, 2010
    OK, I have a bit of a weird question so try to bear with me.

On my property there exists (part of one now) a 4 ft. chain link fence that has evidently been there for several decades. The previous owners of my house built on the inside of the chain link fence a 6 ft. wooden fence for privacy. As I understand it the old man who owned the neighbors house was a bit irrational and refused to replace the fence stating that it was his without any survey papers, again, hence the wooden fence.

I am now the owner of the house and the wooden fence that was built inside the chain link fence interferes with access to my backyard, ie, wheelbarrow. The fence does not extend the length of the property, merely to the nearest edges of the house.

The neighbor (who was not living there at the time I purchased the home) has since passed and a woman picked up the home to rent. She fixed the house up and to my disagreement removed the chain link fence up until the point that my wooden fence ends. She stated that that was here fence, and the wooden, mine (not going by any type of survey).

This brings me to my question, the chain link fence was obviously the property line fence for decades and had since mostly been removed, am I allowed to removed my wooden fence? If so am I obligated to replace it?
    If the owner now decides to remove ALL fencing and build it to the correct survey lines am I now obligated to share costs? I was once willing to split the costs, but now after her being so belligerent and unyielding in the past, now not as much so.

daxjosh77

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Sep 17, 2012
    Baton rouge
    Yes you can remove the wooden fence and no you don't have to rebuild or split costs for a new fence if you don't want to. Find your property corner markers in the ground or hire a surveyor so you know exactly where your property is

Metryshooter

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jul 11, 2010
    So is it not considered common usage?
    The thing that really ticked me off was the lady who bought the house (the owner not the tebant)is a foreigner (Vietnamese) and her English was perfect up until the part about the fence, then all of a sudden she didn't understand.

daxjosh77

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Sep 17, 2012
    Baton rouge
    If it's on your property , it's yours and not your neighbors therefor they have no say if you tear it down or not. Find your markers and run a string from each and you'll know exactly what's yours

LACamper

oldbie
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 3, 2007
    Metairie, LA
    Cool! Another fence thread!!!! :)

Get a surveyor! even if you know where the property line is when this blows up you want someone else to blame, preferably someone with a huge liability policy.

Top Bottom