Finding a property owner

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • LS1RX7

Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Aug 27, 2010
    Slidell
    Here's the back story short and sweet. There's a tract of land that runs along hwy 190 in Slidell that is also behind my property. Someone hunts the land and put up no trespassing signs including a large "keep out" sign on my property where there's a trail end. Kids cut through and ride atvs back there and I guess the hunter(s) is mad. They have shot my house before and I'd rather them not hunt so close but it is what it is.

Id like to find out who actually owns the land so I can find out of these hunters are even the real owners, and if it's for sale. My neighbor who is 80 ish and lived here his whole life said no one owns the land. There's no address that I know of. Any ideas?

BOSS351

CZech It Out
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    62   0   0
    Dec 13, 2008
    Prairieville
    Go to the courthouse with the location and you should be able to find out. Better yet, call the St.Tammany Clerk of Court first to get better instructions on how to do this. If we have a realtor on board they could steer you also. Somebody has to be paying taxes on the property and you simply have to find out who is doing that. This is public information to anybody and my wife used to do this every once in a while for somebody interested in buying property that wasn't marked. Hope this helps.

oppsImissed

Rating - 94.6%
    35   2   0
    Sep 3, 2012
    somewhere south of I12
    Question, Just how does that work, Was this a property auction ?

grey area in louisiana property tax code. If you pay the property tax on a parcel for 3 years you can petition the courts for property rights. Attorney Wayne Kuhn in Franklinton handled it. Im really not sure of the statutes. And the bad part of it is, if you pay the tax before the owner each year then you have more rights that the owner does. Its like who ever pays first wins. Call a real estate attorney. I dont want to give you bad info.

Gator 45/70

Rating - 100%
    31   0   0
    It's all good, Just looking for the general basic info. and Thanks for the head's up. We have been paying tax's on family land since 86, I'm pretty sure the rest of my cousin's think's it's tax free land...!

grey area in louisiana property tax code. If you pay the property tax on a parcel for 3 years you can petition the courts for property rights. Attorney Wayne Kuhn in Franklinton handled it. Im really not sure of the statutes. And the bad part of it is, if you pay the tax before the owner each year then you have more rights that the owner does. Its like who ever pays first wins. Call a real estate attorney. I dont want to give you bad info.

oppsImissed

Rating - 94.6%
    35   2   0
    Sep 3, 2012
    somewhere south of I12
    It's all good, Just looking for the general basic info. and Thanks for the head's up. We have been paying tax's on family land since 86, I'm pretty sure the rest of my cousin's think's it's tax free land...!

Id call an attorney, but from my experiance if it was not willed to some one and you have proof that you have soley paid the taxes yourself then its basically yours. But again its a manulipation of a grey area.

Gator 45/70

Rating - 100%
    31   0   0
    It's not willed, I sure I will be a BIG hit at the next family reunion.

I'm sure all of them will understand since none have even offered to pay taxes.

The land must be a gift from heaven ?

Id call an attorney, but from my experiance if it was not willed to some one and you have proof that you have soley paid the taxes yourself then its basically yours. But again its a manulipation of a grey area.

fordw60s

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 14, 2011
    Lufkin, TX
    Here's the back story short and sweet. There's a tract of land that runs along hwy 190 in Slidell that is also behind my property. Someone hunts the land and put up no trespassing signs including a large "keep out" sign on my property where there's a trail end. Kids cut through and ride atvs back there and I guess the hunter(s) is mad. They have shot my house before and I'd rather them not hunt so close but it is what it is.

Id like to find out who actually owns the land so I can find out of these hunters are even the real owners, and if it's for sale. My neighbor who is 80 ish and lived here his whole life said no one owns the land. There's no address that I know of. Any ideas?

Ok just to let you know St Tammany parish sucks for trying to find propert owners. the only map you will find is a 1950's tobin map. This will be in the land records office. If you have an actual address for the property the tax assessor may be able to help if you go straight to them. If you have no map they will be clueless. Last time I was there they had just started getting a gis person to try and work on the owner plats to make a map book. About 2 years ago they only had 1/2 the parish done. At that time i spend 2 days looking for 3 property owners so I could access their land for the research I do. Since you only have one piece of land you may could try and talk to the GIS guy in the maps office.

LS1RX7

Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Aug 27, 2010
    Slidell
    Ok just to let you know St Tammany parish sucks for trying to find propert owners. the only map you will find is a 1950's tobin map. This will be in the land records office. If you have an actual address for the property the tax assessor may be able to help if you go straight to them. If you have no map they will be clueless. Last time I was there they had just started getting a gis person to try and work on the owner plats to make a map book. About 2 years ago they only had 1/2 the parish done. At that time i spend 2 days looking for 3 property owners so I could access their land for the research I do. Since you only have one piece of land you may could try and talk to the GIS guy in the maps office.

Man are you spot on. Spent an hour at the tax office/records office today and got no where. I don't know what to do. They are clueless. I cant believe there is no map of the parish in the land records office, its unbelievable. I gave them addresses of 4 surrounding properties to no avail. I don't know what to do. They just say "I don't know what to tell you." :confused::confused::confused:

Kraut

LEO
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Oct 3, 2007
    Slidell, LA
    Man are you spot on. Spent an hour at the tax office/records office today and got no where. I don't know what to do. They are clueless. I cant believe there is no map of the parish in the land records office, its unbelievable. I gave them addresses of 4 surrounding properties to no avail. I don't know what to do. They just say "I don't know what to tell you." :confused::confused::confused:

Dude, you know you just gotta ask the old 118! His family used to own all of Slidell, remember! He might still be the owner for all we know! How was your first day back?

What about alternate sources? Does any utility service cross or abut the land at any point? Anything that would require obtaining of permission or granting of right-of-way? Maybe the fire district, mosquito control, forestry, US Gegological Survey, wetlands agency/advocacy groups? Trying outside the box a little.

Last edited:

fordw60s

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 14, 2011
    Lufkin, TX

To actually fond the owner you have to find it on the Tobin map and fallow property convances to the current owner.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk

DoubleJ

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 21, 2013
    New Iberia,LA
    To actually fond the owner you have to find it on the Tobin map and fallow property convances to the current owner.

This.
    I'm not Familiar with the Records in that Parish.But if you can get any map that shows ownership, even if outdated. Just run it forward from that point.
    There has to be somewhere you can get a current map of that area or at least an older one of that area. I do this stuff for a living but despite living in LA I have no experience in LA and every location I've worked in luckily had good current maps and usually online.

Last edited:

fordw60s

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 14, 2011
    Lufkin, TX
    This.
    I'm not Familiar with the Records in that Parish.But if you can get any map that shows ownership, even if outdated. Just run it forward from that point.
    There has to be somewhere you can get a current map of that area or at least an older one of that area. I do this stuff for a living but despite living in LA I have no experience in LA and every location I've worked in luckily had good current maps and usually online.

That is a bad parish. St. Tammany, lafourche, caddo, st john, st charles, and Orleans are all this bad. I've even sat with the tax assessor for lafourche and he could not tell me anything. Most of these parishes dont spend any funds on other things instead of having good maps. I've been to @ 40-50 of our parish courthouses every year for the last 4 years and these are the ones I always dread. Lol

Top Bottom