Fingerprint cards for LA CCW Permit

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Storm52

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 18, 2009
    Shreveport
    Folks, MOST law enforcement agencies these days, unless they are a 5 man department in the woods use the AFIS digital fingerprint system. If you have your prints taken on this system, the computer will reject unusable prints before they are ever printed on the card.

Psssssst....he lives in Springhill. I think the chief was just replaced and they are down to 3 men :)

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 8, 2011
    Springhill
    Psssssst....he lives in Springhill. I think the chief was just replaced and they are down to 3 men

Haha!! Actually, we just added a new officer so I think we may be up to 4 now.;)

And for those having response issues via e-mail, etc.; there is this magical invention known as the telephone. 225.925.6095 is the secret code...

I admit I didn't call the LSP asking the question about the fingerprint card, but I thought I had a very legitimate reason. My instructor's earlier phone calls were unaswered so he left voice messages requesting the fingerprint cards. The fingerprint cards were never sent. My time during the work day is very busy. Consequently, I frequently use email to correspond. It doesn't seem unreasonable to expect an agency to have a functioning email. It seemed like a better use of time to put the question to the knowledgeble folks on this forum. I have since found the answer, as well, on the LSP website. Consequently, I won't need to use the "magical invention", but if I do, I'll use the number you referenced as it's different than the one on the CHP application.

It's good to hear the digital scanners are so widespread. I thought they were limited to BR. A friend applying of mine is applying for a professional license he will need by mid-summer. He was told he needed to have digital fingerprints done for the criminal background check and that he'd have to come to BR to do that. I'll call some local SO and Shreveport/Bossier PD's Monday to see if any of them offer the service.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 8, 2011
    Springhill
    At any rate, he should know, as an instructor, that LSP won't send fingerprint cards to an individual; only official agencies. I asked the bride about that tonight at dinner to be sure.

Not making an accusation here, but it sounds to me like your "instructor" is trying to blow smoke up your ass to cover his.

I think I understand the process now. :)From what I've learned from this thread, the LSP does not provide fingerprint cards, to neither individual applicants nor instructors, as a part of the application packet. Individuals may get fingerprinted at a SO, PD, or the LSP HQ with the fingerprinting agency providing the fingerprint card. I guess part of my confusion stemmed from the application process for my FL non-resident CHP. I was required to use the fingerprint card in the application packet mailed to me by FL. I've reread the LSP website and application now for the umpteenth time and indeed it makes no mention of them providing a fingerprint card.

Maybe the instructor was indeed blowing up my posterior when he said the LSP had provided him applications and fingerprint cards in the past. On the other hand, that's been attempted many times by some pretty good smoke blowers through the years and my "smoke detector" sure didn't go off this time.;) I guess no one will really know without having been there. I do know the mail address referenced on the application is non-functional.

Thanks to everyone here for helping to clear up for me the process. :cool:Now I should be able to finish the application early next week.

Guate_shooter

LA CHP Instructor # 522
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Dec 4, 2009
    (Breaux Bridge)
    NOT to mention IIRC, Instructors USED to be able to do the fingerprints but that was changed, again due to the high amount of errors received on the cards by people who didnt know what they were doing.

NOW unless you are POST Certified and have attended "Instruction" on how to do it, a regular Instructor cannot perform the fingerprints for his/her students.

So yeah I think he was blowing a ton of smoke up the arzzzzzzzzzzz ........................., was it a 3 hour class ???????????

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 8, 2011
    Springhill
    I would think the lead instructors (and possibly the other instructors as well) are trained to do fingerprinting as both have many years experience in law enforcement, one as a police officer, the other as a parole officer. The other instructors had similar law enforcement experience. The class was 8 hours long.

I found out yesterday that a few of those who attended the course received their fingerprint cards in the mail Friday from the LSP. A few a the attendees had fingerprint cards and were fingerprinted at the course.

As far the digital fingerprinting, Webster Parish does not have the capability. Bossier and Caddo have the equipment, but not yet running. Caddo will be the first to get it running. I don't yet know about Bossier City and Shreveport Police Departments. Man, on tv digital fingerprinting looks sooooo easy and readily available. I watch NCIS all the time and all their agents have had digital fingerprinters in the field for a number of years!!:rofl:

Last edited:
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 8, 2011
    Springhill
    I realize this thread has taken off on some different directions, but I for one find some of the new directions interesting. I'm curious w/ the specifics of the process and have a few more questions if y'all don't mind: ;)
    What happens w/ the fingerprint card once it's received by the LSP? Is it processed in BR by the LSP or is it forwarded on to the FBI to be processed? Makes no difference to me, I'm just curious.
    Can the digital fingerprinting be done eleswhere to satisfy that part of the criminal background check or can it be done only by the LSP in BR? No need for me to check any further about AFIS in this part of the state if it can be done for the CHP only in BR by the LSP.
    When the digital fingerprinting is done, it's then transferred to a card that is then put into the process like an inked card?

I don't know where you are getting your information, but EVERY parish sheriff's office in this state has an AFIS live-scan machine. That said, some of them do not provide the service for non-criminal business. The reasons for this vary, but whoever told you that the capability is not there is bullshitting you. The actual check of the prints must be done here at HQ, but EVERY parish has the machine to do digital prints and transfer them to a card.

Regarding AFIS, the more I check, the more confused I get. Someone in the fingerprint section of Webster Parish SD told me they do not have AFIS. A Bossier Parish SD Detective said Bossier and Caddo both have the units, but they're not online yet and that Caddo will be the first to go online. Neither were aware of Shreveport or Bossier City PD's having AFIS. I guess it's possible the Sheriff's Offices may have the capability but do not offer it to the public. If this is not correct and someone in Caddo/Bossier Parish or Shreveport/Bossier City can help me out, please feel free to let me know.

Each application packet for a CHP has two FBI cards in it. These are indeed mailed out by the Concealed Handgun Section, as a package. I thought you were talking about calling up that section or the BOI and requesting cards only.

Yeah, the folks I know who got their cards last week received it as a part of the applictions packet. I wasn't aware there was a distinction of asking for the cards as a part of the appliction packet and just asking for the cards alone.

Again, thanks for the info, guys! :)

Leadfoot

Low Speed High Drag
    Rating - 100%
    104   0   0
    Mar 4, 2009
    Livingston Parish
    Can the digital fingerprinting be done eleswhere to satisfy that part of the criminal background check or can it be done only by the LSP in BR? No need for me to check any further about AFIS in this part of the state if it can be done for the CHP only in BR by the LSP.

Yes. It can be done by any LEO agency that has AFIS capability. I thought we covered this.

I cannot imagine that a city, the size of Shreveport, does NOT have an AFIS machine.

Call Louisiana State Police Troop G in Bossier City (318) 741-7411. Tell them you need to have your fingerprints done for the Louisiana Concealed Handgun Permit. Ask them where would they advise you to go in your part of the state to have them done.

Guate_shooter

LA CHP Instructor # 522
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Dec 4, 2009
    (Breaux Bridge)
    As far as I know ANY major Jail facility that is ran by the SO has the big bulky machine that does the digital prints, even in a SMALL Parish like St.Martin we have the machine so I dont see how the other "bigger" areas wouldnt have one.

What do they do when they book people in jail ??????? old fashion ink REALLY doubt it, digital prints and digital picture is where the money is at as it eliminates errors and requires less from the person operating it.

Leadfoot

Low Speed High Drag
    Rating - 100%
    104   0   0
    Mar 4, 2009
    Livingston Parish
    Ok.

I had some time today so I personally investigated this matter myself.

I spoke to the Webster Parish Sheriff's Office in Minden who told me that if you would come to the Bayou Dorcheat Correctional Center, they have the AFIS machine, and will fingerprint you.

If you wish to verify this information, please feel free to do so, the # I called was (318) 371-9799 Ext. 229.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 8, 2011
    Springhill
    Yes. It can be done by any LEO agency that has AFIS capability. I thought we covered this.

Yes, you're right. I misread a later post that caused me to think otherwise.

I spoke to the Webster Parish Sheriff's Office in Minden who told me that if you would come to the Bayou Dorcheat Correctional Center, they have the AFIS machine, and will fingerprint you.

If you wish to verify this information, please feel free to do so, the # I called was (318) 371-9799 Ext. 229.

Leadfoot, you're right again!:) Yesterday when I spoke w/ the WPSO, the person answering the phone was not helpful. Today I spoke w/ someone else, this time a very helpful Detective in the Booking Office (same Office you referenced). He told me the very same info you posted. Said he'd be glad to do the digital fingerprinting as soon as our schedules match up.:D

I imagine there are other departments in Shreveport/Bossier/Caddo that also have the same capability, but maybe don't offer it to the public; or maybe I just haven't found the right person to talk too, similar to my experience w/ the SD. At any rate, I now know where I can get it done. Will hold off on the ink fingerprint for now and instead get it done digitally ASAP. Thanks again for everyone's help.;)

stancel

Swamp Stalker
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Nov 7, 2008
    Carriere, MS
    My wife is going through the fingerprinting now. She just got back a letter saying her first prints were rejected. They were ink rolled prints from the Marshal's office here in Slidell. I called the Sheriffs dept crime lab in Covington and they also only do the ink rolled prints. She has 10 days to resubmit another set of prints, and there is no chance of her making it up to Baton Rouge in that time frame. Guess we will have to keep forking over $10 until we get a good set. What a pain.

Nolacopusmc

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Oct 22, 2008
    New Orleans, LA
    My wife is going through the fingerprinting now. She just got back a letter saying her first prints were rejected. They were ink rolled prints from the Marshal's office here in Slidell. I called the Sheriffs dept crime lab in Covington and they also only do the ink rolled prints. She has 10 days to resubmit another set of prints, and there is no chance of her making it up to Baton Rouge in that time frame. Guess we will have to keep forking over $10 until we get a good set. What a pain.

Have them roll two sets. Since they will not go through the "gatekeepers" down stairs due to being mailed directly in, you stand a batter chance of them making it to the examiner before being summarily rejected either because someone who is not an FBI fingerprint examiner "thinks" they do not look good or because they are ink. If they input both sets, between the two, they might get a full set in case one or two fingers on one set got smudged.

I feel their pain, but just like not everyone who rolls prints gets it right every time, determining if prints are "good enough" is a subjective art. I had a set of electronic prints get summarily "rejected" downstairs because they were not dark enough. Yes they were. They were not as dark as the ones printed there, but were most certainly dark enough.

Not trying to defame anyone in CHP or fingerprints at LSP, but the ladies downstairs, while intimately familiar with prints, are office workers, they are not fingerprint examiners. They see prints all day and have a very good idea of what will most likely fly and what will not, but then again, they can be wrong too.

If not going there, get a couple of sets done. Might save you a third attempt, but then again, they might not.

stancel

Swamp Stalker
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Nov 7, 2008
    Carriere, MS
    Thanks NOLACOP. I will tell her to get two sets done. Hopefully it will work out.

Hitman, I will call around some of the surrounding areas and see if anybody does the prints with the scanner. Maybe I can find somebody close enough for her to go. Thanks.

Nolacopusmc

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Oct 22, 2008
    New Orleans, LA
    Sigh.

My wife and her immediate subordinates (the CRA 4 supervisors) damn sure ARE fingerprint examiners. My wife and two of the CRA 4s are FBI-certified EXPERT latent examiners. One of those (my wife the CRA 5, or one of the CRA 4s) is always immediately available, and often as not will be at the cubbyhole there. They don't "have a good idea what most likely will fly"... they KNOW.

I keep telling myself to not get involved in these "discussions", and to let the ******** fly un-abated. Perhaps one day I'll listen to myself...:rolleyes:

If that is the case, then I stand corrected. The way it was explained to me, they did the paperwork end and there were "actual examiners" that looked at the scans for those who brought in ink rolls or cards not generated there.

Thanks for the clarification.

*** marked for future reference that not only am I not always right, but i admit it when I am wrong. Cat#101

Last edited:
    Top Bottom