Finnish M91/30 Tikka 1942

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • dwr461

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 23, 2009
    Baton Rouge

It was a little rough looking when I found it. After removing the action from the stock I found some pitting and rust on the underside of the barrrel. (Not deep enough by a long shot to effect safety) The rust was removed with Kroil and a brass 32 acp case. The bluing was still under the rust except in the pits! So I scored there. This method of rust removal doesn't hurt the blueing at all and only removes the rust. The bore looked rough too. I'm still cleaning it. But I think it'll end up with some light pitting and darkened grooves. I understand the majority of the 1940's made M91/30's were not used as much and courtesy of an arsenal rebuild are in excellent shape. This one? Not so much... For a 1942 Finnish rifle it actually appears to have seen some use!

For those not overly familiar with this firearm I'll tell you what I know. But I don't claim to be an expert at them. I took images of both sides of the rear sight so you could see the arshin's crossed out on one side and the meter's put on the opposite. (arshins was a imperial russian unit of measurement for length) The Finn's also got rid of the dog collar's for the sling and put in swivels. Furthermore the Finn's used whatever captured or old pieces of Mosin Nagants' they could find. My magazine box shows where it was completely rusted through, then cleaned up, re-blued, and used again. The bolt has an old serial number that is cross out and a new one that coincides with the weapon serial number is stamped on it. I understand this to be very common on these rifles.

The stocks on these rifles were made in two pieces on purpose I understand. I've included an image of the splice. The wood work is very good.

I found this one in a local pawn shop for $89.95. So I decided to take a chance and see how well it cleaned up. So far so good....

Dave

Bassncrap

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 20, 2012
    Arnaudville
    89$ ??????? Omg some of is are only so lucky.

I found my 1928 M91/30 Ex-Dragoon at a pawn shop in Sulphur for 140$.

Forced match parts on Mosins are extremely common!!!! Mine is all matching except for the mag plate. But oh well I reckon.

What pawnshop you scored that at and are there more? Lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Candyman

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 15, 2008
    Denham Springs
    That's a nice one and at a good price. I just love those old warhorses. If you want a real nice Hex Mosin, bring it by the house and I will trade you a nice one with bayonet and sling for it.

dwr461

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 23, 2009
    Baton Rouge
    I'd love to come by the house sometime. But this is the only Finn I have so I'm going to keep it. Thanks anyway. :)

Dave

Bassncrap

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 20, 2012
    Arnaudville
    Never give up a Finn capture for a basic Mosin refurb....unless theres a PU bolted to it :)

dwr461

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 23, 2009
    Baton Rouge
    Never give up a Finn capture for a basic Mosin refurb

I agree. And this is a Finnish made barrel and Russian and (as it turns out) French made parts put together to manufacture a rifle. The butt plate is made by Chatellerault. The magazine, receiver, and barrel bands are Russian. The stock and barrel is Finnish.

Dave

Last edited:

Candyman

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 15, 2008
    Denham Springs
    Also it is not a 91/30. it is a M91. It is not a Finn capture, it's Finn built from old parts and a new Tikka barrel. I don't know why people call a rifle a Finn capture just because it has the [SA] stamp. The [SA] stamp stands for Finish Army. Now if it were to have 40 or 41 stamped on it, then it would be a Finn capture from the war with Russia.

You can still bring it by the house and while you at the house I could pull out 11 M91 for you to look at and a Civil guard M24. You could also play with my double 41 stamped (Finn captured) Dragoon.:D

Also to all of our forum members. My door is always open to those that wish to come and check out my collection. What is the point of having a bunch of cool guns if you just hide them away from everyone.

Bassncrap

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 20, 2012
    Arnaudville
    Amen to that!!!!! Trying to grow
    My collection with my tight budget. I have a 43 Izzy reserved for me at Daves in Lafayette. Just can never get over there to get it since they are closed on the weekends!!!!!!! Grrrr.

Candyman

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 15, 2008
    Denham Springs
    Amen to that!!!!! Trying to grow
    My collection with my tight budget. I have a 43 Izzy reserved for me at Daves in Lafayette. Just can never get over there to get it since they are closed on the weekends!!!!!!! Grrrr.

Where are you located? I think I have 2 Hex 91/30 that are extra.

Bassncrap

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 20, 2012
    Arnaudville
    Arnaudville. In search of a wartime 91/30. Years 43 or 44. Hex or not. Tula or not. I have my 28 izzy ex dragoon thats a hex. Sweet rifle.

Daves has 91/30's for $120 all day long. Hard to beat those prices locally I reckon.

If i cant get to Daves soon there is another gunshow in Lafayette in a couple of weeks so maybe I can score a deal then.

dwr461

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 23, 2009
    Baton Rouge
    http://forums.gunboards.com/showthread.php?276630-Finnish-M91-30

According to the guy on the Mosin Nagant Collectors board M91/30's that were captured by the Finn's would have the 41 mark stamped into them. But rifles that were made using Finnish barrels would not have the 41 mark b/c the barrels were not captured. They were manufactured by the Finn's.

I'm not an expert by any means and cannot argue the point. I can only repeat what I read. If you were to read the above link two of them have that same disscussion about the 41 mark. The gentleman that claimed it should have the 41 stamp conceded the point.

Dave

Top Bottom