Fire fighter shot by rifle while fighting fire in Missouri

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jro6803

Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 7, 2009
    Lafayette
    Saturday, August 18, 2012

Early this morning at approximately 0053 hours, fire companies were dispatched to a possible fire in an occupied mobile home near the intersection of Nelson Mill Rd and Valley View, near Nixa, MO. Units from Nixa Fire District were dispatched, along with auto-aid from Ozark, Clever, Highlandville and Battlefield Fire Districts. Companies from Nixa arrived on scene to find a well involved 14’x 66’ mobile home extending to mobile homes on the B & D Sides. Crews immediately assumed a defensive position and began extinguishing the fire encroaching on surrounding exposures.
    Battlefield Engine-1 arrived and was assigned to perform a primary search on the B1 exposure. While crews were extending lines and preparing to enter the home, a loud “pop” was heard. One firefighter from Engine-1 went down and a “MAYDAY” was called. ALS Personnel from Nixa Fire District immediately began to assess the firefighter and found a large laceration to the upper left thigh, consistent with an avulsion. The firefighter was stabilized and once the ambulance arrived, he was subsequently transported to Cox South Hospital were he was treated and later released.

One of the Chief Officers, who is also a certified Crime Scene Investigator, provided us the following information.

“Upon hearing of the injury, I responded to the hospital to check the well being of our firefighter. I discovered his injury, even severe, was survivable with limited long term effects. Once relieved of my duties at the hospital by the on-duty shift commander, I responded to the scene where I began my injury/accident investigation to discover what had happened.

The response videos taken by vehicle mounted cameras and helmet cameras were reviewed. The “pop” described by witnesses was consistent with a large caliber weapon or rifle.

I was shown by on scene personnel to the location where the firefighter was standing when the incident occurred. I could see damage to the rear wall of the B1 Exposure consistent with a small projectile glancing off the wall. The next building over, a storage building known as B2 Exposure, also had similar markings at approximately the same height and velocity.

I entered the burned home and discovered two lever action rifles underneath the burned mattress in the master bedroom. Both rifles were 30-30 caliber, one Marlin model 336 and one Winchester model 94. The Marlin was not loaded and did not contain any spent shell casings. The Winchester was loaded and there was a spent shell casing in the chamber. After careful reconstruction, I was able to determine the bullet fired from the Winchester rifle traveled through the exterior wall, traveled 14’-18’ and struck the firefighter in the left upper thigh, then traveled to and ricocheted off of the adjacent mobile home and storage building, coming to rest in the ground North of the scene.

There was no one near the rifle when the bullet was discharged. The damage to the room was consistent with full room involvement. The mattress above the rifles was completely consumed. Based upon the evidence available to me, witness statements from on scene personnel, statements from EMS and Emergency Room personnel, I have determined the following: The fire in the room reached temperatures high enough to cause the round to discharge in the weapon. The round then proceeded to the path of least resistance, which so happened to be the rifle barrel. The round then struck the firefighter. There were no signs visible for on scene personnel to determine this was going to happen.

This incident, however tragic, was not avoidable or preventable. The firefighter escaped with injuries that required stitches and loss of work projected to be at least one month. This was a definite close call. Had the bullet traveled another two to three inches deeper, it could have struck the femoral artery causing significant blood loss and maybe even death. A full investigation report will follow, with videos, pictures, diagrams and statements.”

The occupant was discovered deceased in the home during overhaul operations. An investigator from the Missouri Division of Fire Safety was called to the scene to investigate the cause and origin of the fire. The name of the deceased is being withheld until his identity is confirmed. The cause of the fire has not been released

http://www.firefighterclosecalls.com/news/fullstory/newsid/169264

bassicpackrat

Dopplebock Slayer
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 20, 2011
    Opelousas,LA 70570
    Wow, thats crazy! As a firefighter, I know you never know what to expect when responding to a fire. When I started reading this, I was thinking "meth lab" right away. I know one house fire we went to had a stockpile of weapons and ammo in it and when we got to the scene it was already fully involved and the rounds were going off like the 4th of July!

Wolfgang1952

LOCAL Fla. Par, Cha. Pres
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 27, 2009
    Mt Hermon / Franklinton La, USA
    I was with Dis.2 Vol. Fire Dept. in Washington Parish for a number of years. We responded to a house fire. What we found was the shed was on fire. I was lead man on the main attack line when the shed started to pop. Rounds started to cook off. Come to find out the owner had just reloaded a bunch of ammo. I got hit in the right cheek just under my shield by a piece of brass. We saved the shed and most of everything in it though. I never did find out what started to fire.

Ar15>Ak47

VIP member
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Oct 30, 2010
    shreveport
    What do you guys think we as gun owners can do to try & prevent this from happening. Aside from taking all guns & ammo out with you, which you probably wont have time to do & will probably be focused on saving you & your family, is there anything that could prevent these types of incidents? Perhaps a fire proof safe, but not everyone can afford one.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I997 using Tapatalk 2

Sin-ster

GM of 4 Letter Outbursts
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    What do you guys think we as gun owners can do to try & prevent this from happening. Aside from taking all guns & ammo out with you, which you probably wont have time to do & will probably be focused on saving you & your family, is there anything that could prevent these types of incidents? Perhaps a fire proof safe, but not everyone can afford one.

Keep as few guns loaded as necessary, I suppose.

Then again... quite obviously... it only takes one. :dunno:

Crappy situation, for sure-- but I guess it's just one of the risks of the job. Albeit a pretty rare one, I'd imagine...

olivs260

Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Sep 23, 2009
    Geismar, LA

At least if they're stored properly in a safe, the right barrels should be pointed up. Handguns are probably a different story, but as long as the homeowner doesn't have a 10mm, everything is probably going to be ok :ninja:

Top Bottom