First AR build!!

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Mr.Green

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 2, 2011
    Watson La
    Im building a rifle just to build to have to use for target shooting, it will besa .223 im thinking of starting off with a colt, spikes or armalite lower. May consider using it as a duty weapon. I know about the weapon i just want suggestions on what are some good brand to start with.

SGT_Kramer

Knuckle Buster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 23, 2010
    Ball
    Spikes will be far more afordable with equal quality then the other 2 your mentioned. You'll be suprised how simple AR's are once you have your rifle together. I'd do m4 type weapon for your needs with 16 inch barrel. I like to keep my guns simple and light.

CJB1911

PEW PEW PEW
    Rating - 100%
    56   0   0
    Mar 16, 2010
    SWLA
    Im building a rifle just to build to have to use for target shooting, it will besa .223 im thinking of starting off with a colt, spikes or armalite lower. May consider using it as a duty weapon. I know about the weapon i just want suggestions on what are some good brand to start with.

BCM, LMT, NOVESKE are a good place to start.

biggin215

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 8, 2010
    Baton Rouge, LA
    BCM, Noveske, LMT, Colt, and Daniel Defense (in no particular order) are exceptional uppers. The lower doesn't matter so much as long as it's in spec. I would go with the most affordable one you can find.

Mr.Green

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 2, 2011
    Watson La
    I went with a stripped spikes tactical lower got in it in today, my next question is what would be a good lower part kit, or does it really matter? I've been reading alot and spikes, dpms and rockriver keep coming up. I'm thing of keeping everything spikes tactical but need a little advice.

pntbllr228

Rating - 100%
    47   0   0
    Jan 27, 2009
    Right by LSU
    I went with a stripped spikes tactical lower got in it in today, my next question is what would be a good lower part kit, or does it really matter? I've been reading alot and spikes, dpms and rockriver keep coming up. I'm thing of keeping everything spikes tactical but need a little advice.

I can't speak for everyone, but my spikes rifle has eaten everything I've fed it (mostly cheap, dirty ****) and has never choked on me. Keep in mind, it's only seen maybe 3000 rds, but I love it.

Sin-ster

GM of 4 Letter Outbursts
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    I can't speak for everyone, but my spikes rifle has eaten everything I've fed it (mostly cheap, dirty ****) and has never choked on me. Keep in mind, it's only seen maybe 3000 rds, but I love it.

More than most people will ever feed theirs in a lifetime.

OP: Look at a basic LPK and a separate upgrade on a trigger. Most LPKs are created equal, provided you stick with a company that does Milspec to consistent tolerances and quality. Spikes is a fine example. I can't get into triggers on this iPhone, but if you are interested, several folks in this thread can help you out with answers.

Top Bottom