First Duracoating attempt

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Ritten

SSST Mad Scientist
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Dec 8, 2007
    Thibodaux, Louisiana
    I learned a few lessons but it's certainly easier than I thought and I'm loving this coating! I'm using a cheap Paasche VLST airbrush to apply the stuff and it goes on pretty easy. I just wanted to use Duracoat for a base and then I'll come back and put a Krylon camo job. I can take the Krylon off without hurting the Duracoat underneath in the event that I want to change the pattern/colors. After knocking the gun over a couple of times while trying to spray it I learned that from now on I'll be hanging all of the components up. You can see the few spots where I marred the finish before it was completely dry. I went with the SL (self lubricating) and after spraying the bolt (not the lugs) and letting it dry for a few days, I have to say I'm pretty impressed with how thin it goes on and the smoothness that it lends to the action.

I may try some stencils on a few of my gas guns to see how they come out, but for now I'm just using this as a protective coating. I do have a S&W 629 that I'm looking forward to coating as well. That will be a pretty good test to see how the finish holds up.

IMG_1746.jpg

IMG_1749.jpg

IMG_1752.jpg

Ritten

SSST Mad Scientist
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Dec 8, 2007
    Thibodaux, Louisiana
    Looks good. Next time have some MEK handy and you can wipe out the blems with a lint free rag if you spray it while still wet

Thanks. I did have some laquer thinner on the side ready to go, but I knew I'd be spraying over this one so I just left it. The above rifle was kind of my "practice and see what the big deal is" type of work. My next one will be done with much more care and time allowed for a blemish free coating. I'm shopping around for a blast cabinet that will handle alum. oxide that won't break the bank. Sandpaper is ok, but I think I'd get a more even preparation with blasting.

rockmup

Please be my friend
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   0
    Apr 21, 2007
    City of Central
    I have the large HF blast cab that I added their dust collection system to. I run it on average of 6 hrs every week and have for 4 yrs at least. I run 70G aluminum oxide and am still on the orig. nozzle and hose. The only thing I did was to add some lights. Oh, and commercial gloves

Ritten

SSST Mad Scientist
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Dec 8, 2007
    Thibodaux, Louisiana
    I have the large HF blast cab that I added their dust collection system to. I run it on average of 6 hrs every week and have for 4 yrs at least. I run 70G aluminum oxide and am still on the orig. nozzle and hose. The only thing I did was to add some lights. Oh, and commercial gloves

That's good to know! On the specs for the HF unit it recommends not using Alum. Oxide, but if it lasts that long then I may just pick one up soon. Thanks!

Top Bottom