First Hog Hunt

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • sawgrass

Hunka Hunka burning lead.
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Mar 17, 2008
    Hammond
    Craig, congratulations on a great hunt and I am sure that your friend is grateful for helping rid his property of these destructive pests.

RedStickChick

-Global Mod-
    Premium Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 6, 2012
    Baton Rouge
    Nice job!

I've flown with a group in Texas who knock out these things. It's insane the amount of damage wild hogs do to agricultural fields, both commercial and private. There are plenty of other animals out there who will enjoy a free meal.

Dishonored

Hunter
    Silver Member
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Oct 27, 2012
    Prairieville
    Craig,
    I was an ******* this morning.
    It's been one of those weeks and I was just raised to eat what I killed.
    Not everyone is like that and just wanted to say sorry. Although I don't agree doesn't mean I should consider you a lesser man. So I apologize for the way I handled the situation.?(I pm'd the same apology but didn't get a response so ill post it here as well)

Thanks for the sportsman like responses from some of you. Since road kill and killing a cockroach are so similar to venturing out intending to kill something, then aligning them and taking a picture is like the same thing...

However, They are nice hogs and congrats on the kill. I'm sure it was fun.

madwabbit

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 2, 2013
    Lafayette, LA
    ^ that. I lay waste to the devilpigs whenever I get invited to, and gator farms will always take a few if its on your way home.

alternatively, bugs and yotes gotta eat too.

freedive10

-Global Mod-, Caballoloco
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Sep 17, 2008
    Mandeville
    Graig- Here is one less that we have to worry about in the South! LOL! This bad boy weighed in at 200+ lbs. 45-70 is a hell of a round and he took off as if nothing. First thought I missed him until I saw the blood trail. Easy to follow & found him a good 50 yards away. I wanted the meat and a European mount so made the choice to not shoot him in the ear. I have found that the ear shot is best. Drops them immediately.

Hope to see more people post their erradication efforts. Good hunting!

madwabbit

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 2, 2013
    Lafayette, LA
    and yeah to further beat the dead horse on what a tremendous plague hogs are, consider that it is legal to kill them with the weapon of your choosing, including: helicopters, machine guns, grenades, flamethrowers, and bazookas.

Thumper

Colt Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 8, 2009
    Jackson
    and yeah to further beat the dead horse on what a tremendous plague hogs are, consider that it is legal to kill them with the weapon of your choosing, including: helicopters, machine guns, grenades, flamethrowers, and bazookas.

They need to be NUKED !!!

ol shep

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 22, 2014
    Ethel, LA
    I have immense respect for not only every animal, bird, or fish I hunt but also for those raised for food and I try daily to instill that into my children.
    Feral hogs are a different story, they are to be Killed first and foremost then if some choose to eat them, well that is a byproduct.

How bout a round of applause for 3fifty7! Nothing like good manners and good sense...

Sully

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 1, 2012
    Sulphur
    Those sobs are tearing up rice field levees south of lake Charles...they are getting bad...shoot them sobs and eat'em if u like or give away or whatever they are bad news...

Lyle Savant

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 22, 2014
    Central (NE Baton Rouge, LA)
    Nice. Cut em. I dropped these 2 during a deer hunt, one was swimming a bayou with about 8-10 others; he caught one in the head at 100 yards. Real fun hunt!
    ebuvuve9.jpg
    e8e2y6e2.jpg

Last edited:

HogHunter1203

Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Feb 16, 2012
    SWLA
    Went on my first hog hunt last night/this morning. Had a blast.

Pictures aren't the best, but here they are.

Strong work brother. Just a warning, it's an addictive hobby. Those little bastards can destroy a food plot or crop in no time. BTW, If you haven't tried it yet, the meat is excellent; even (as we found out last year) on the big a$$ boars. Just make sure to avoid cutting the prostate gland and spilling the bladder when cleaning dressing them out.

Best recipe I've come up with: inject entire pig with marinade of choice, my favorite is the Cajun Butter line; coat with dry rub (some mix of red pepper, garlic powder, onion powder, brown sugar, etc), smoke for about 3-4 hours; baste with remainder of injectable marinade; wrap in foil and continue cooking at ~250 degrees for about 8-12 hours, until you can easily pull it from bone. Depending on the pig, feeds 8 to 30 people. Also, it may get you out of a speeding ticket or two... but that's another story.

Congrats!

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    TonyGuillory
    Top Bottom