First Loads

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • angrycookieman

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 27, 2009
    Central Louisiana near Pitkin
    Well, I just loaded and shot my first reloads today:D. Everything went good, I started out with a light load and will increase slowly. I was worried that it might not be enjoyable, but after doing it I think that I will enjoy reloading. I never shot any factory ammo with recoil that light. Now I need to see if I can set the seater/crimp die up for my bayou bullets. If I can get it to do as good with them as the fmj's, I will get a powder check die for the extra station. If not I'll get something to do the crimp seperatly. Anyway, just wanted to share, later.:)

gravytrain

Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 3, 2010
    Lafayette
    What type of equiptment did you start out with? I can't wait to get out of my townhouse and into a real house with some room so I can start reloading...

angrycookieman

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 27, 2009
    Central Louisiana near Pitkin
    I started with the Hornady lock and load ap because I plan to do a lot of pistol rounds. If you are mechanically inclined, it's not too hard to set up. Just do one station at a time just like you would a single stage. I even loaded one round at a time just to keep an eye on everything. It still doesn't take long. The only problem I had was the recommended length of the deprimer pin didn't always knock them completly free and out the discarding tube, jamming the press when it tried to index. I lengthened that adjustment just a little and now everything runs smooth. I know I still have lots to learn but I think just getting started is the worst part, trying to decide what to get and all that.
    LSP972 I bought a metal digital caliper from grafs with their name on it and already had a stanley plastic one. They both seem accurate, but I will look into the other one you suggest also. Thanks.

Guate_shooter

LA CHP Instructor # 522
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Dec 4, 2009
    (Breaux Bridge)
    Pretty soon once yours needs increase you will do a switch to the mean blue machine, its cave man simple and accurate not to mention super efficient.

I own a Dillon 650 and 2 Lee's.

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Demmickb
    Top Bottom