First speeding ticket in... forever

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Mr.Squatch

Subsea Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 20, 2012
    River Ranch
    Hi all,

Last week I got a speeding ticket on my way to work. 81 in a 65. First ticket I've had in nearly 15 years. New to the area, not sure about the system. I heard in Texas (while I was there) that a person could take a defensive driving course or rent a dd video and take a test, that would help clear a ticket from your record. Anything like that in LA? I'm finally getting old enough that insurance is starting to take it easy on me. Would really like to get this off my record if at all possible. Any advice or insight greatly appreciated.

G

vern10mm

*Banned*
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 18, 2011
    Kenner, LA
    System here is that the black numbers on the white signs are the FASTEST you are allowed to go by law.

;)

You want the article 894 program...... Ask me how I know. Lol

baboonie

Now THAT'S a gunsight!
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Nov 9, 2008
    Arizona
    Write a letter to the DA's office requesting to have it changed to a non-moving violation. All they want is the money. Has worked once for me and once for my wife.

headshot

Mentally Hilarious
    Rating - 94.1%
    16   1   0
    Apr 3, 2010
    Gonzales LA
    If its your first time usually the DA will let it go. Just go to the DA office BEFORE the court date, write a letter explaining that you were just driving with the traffic and were not looking at your speedometer because you were being cautious and looking for hazards on the road (if that was the case). If not go to court and talk to the judge, tell them you'll plead guilty to a non moving violation if it stays off of your record. The judges are usually very willing to work with you

deafdave3

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Apr 26, 2010
    I've gotten quite a few speeding tickets, mostly in Texas. As far as Texas, it didn't change my insurance... that I noticed.

gotabyte

Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 23, 2011
    Slidell, LA
    Best thing to do is make an appointment with the DA and don't wait for a court date as you may sit there all day just to plead not-guilty and then get a court date to defend yourself. This was recommended to me by several LEO's and attorneys. It did work as my daughters ticket got reduced to a non-moving from 15 over the limit and she had to pay the fine. Fortunately, the Slidell court workers are pretty stupid and sent the money back to her. It's mostly about the money and as long as they get the $$$$$$ to support their system, they're happy.

jms

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 25, 2009
    Franklinton,La.
    What they all said about" Go talk to the D.A." about 10 years ago he reduced mine down to a seat belt violation. If you have a Texas drivers licence that might not work!

alpinehyperlite

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 27, 2011
    Baton Rouge
    If it's truly your first moving violation in three years, (I know in EBR) you can go to court and plead PTI (pre-trial intervention) do an online class, pay a fine and it disappears off your record.

Landry308

Class 3/SOT/Houma LA
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    Houma
    If it's the same as a few years ago, call the DA's office, request article 695 (?). You pay a fine and are on probation for 6 months. If no more tickets in 6 mo's, nothing goes on your records. No classes to take, etc.

Mr.Squatch

Subsea Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 20, 2012
    River Ranch
    Appreciate the advice, I'll give it a shot. Ticket's written on District Court of New Iberia, but nobody is answering the phone over there. Anybody know how to go about getting hold of the DA to make an appt?

g

Guate_shooter

LA CHP Instructor # 522
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Dec 4, 2009
    (Breaux Bridge)
    How can the SO NOT have it "in file" when they are the ones that issued it to you, there is no City PD in New Iberia.

Also the ticket should already have a court date in the back of it .........

Mr.Squatch

Subsea Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 20, 2012
    River Ranch
    Called again Friday to make an appt, got transferred four times after explaining why I was calling. Last transfer I was hung up on, then when calling back they just answered the phone "what was the ticket number?" the lady on the phone said she can submit a form to try and get my charged reduced and that I don't need to come in. She then told me not to do anything until a letter shows up at my house. I told her my court date is in two weeks, she said it will probably take longer than that. If I haven't received the letter I'm welcome to call back to the office if it will make me feel better. I said, well I don't want to miss my court date, to which she replied "ok." what's next?

Top Bottom