First ticket since 2008

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • USMC-Deano

Baby Eagle FTW
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 20, 2011
    Oceanside, CA
    Feels like a lot longer than that, but 4 years since my last ticket. Anyway, here goes.

I was driving my kid to the doctor this morning, and I was heading through a school zone that I go through a couple times a week while it is in effect (St. Joseph's Academy on Broussard in BR). When I was heading into the school zone, I looked down at my speedometer to make sure I was going about 20mph(speed limit during non-school zone hours is 35), and I was, maybe a fuzz over. I always do this because I usually have some jackoff behind me tailgating the crap out of me because they just HAVE to go, even though it's a school zone and the limit is 20. Right when I'm about to the main entrance of the school, I see a cop walking into the middle of the street flagging me to turn right, as if it's a detour or something, so I head on down that street so I can get my kid to her appt. Next thing I know, my wife is telling me the cop is still waving me down telling me to come back, so I back up slowly until I'm parked between two cars. Roll down my window, cop asks for license/reg, so I inform him I'm packing concealed, hand him my license, reg, insurance, and CHP. He hands me back the insurance and CHP after looking them over briefly, and he walks away to his car, which is parked in front of my car, and looks like he's going over stuff. This whole time, mind you, I'm thinking this is some kind of random registration/license check, because I have not been told ANYTHING except to show him my license/reg/ins. After a few minutes of my wife and I talking, me telling her to call the Dr. to let them know we might be late, I look at the cop and he's writing me a ticket, for what reason, I still have no idea. After he comes back to my window, he hands me back my license and reg, then asks me if I knew I was in a school zone, I replied to the affirmative, then he has me sign a ticket, which, again, I still have no idea what is for. I look at the ticket and see what LOOKS like 30mph in a 20 school zone, but the 3 is basically nonexistent, and it actually shows up as 0mph in a 20mph zone. The last thing he says is that I need to call "this" number, while pointing to it, to find out how much the fine is. So, seriously, WTF? I wasn't even CLOSE to 30mph, and I know my speedo isn't off that much. It's actually fast at speeds over about 50 by 2-3mph, depending on speed. When it reads 70, I'm doing about 67-68, according to GPS, and speeds below 40-45 are pretty much dead on, maybe 1mph fast. My speedometer never read faster than about 23-24 when I was in the school zone, however, this will be impossible to prove in court without video evidence, which I do not roll around with, because I'm not the kind of person who expects to be ticketed for something I did NOT do.

So, what are my chances of fighting this successfully in court? Being a school zone, I'm worried the judge might be a bit more strict, and again, I can't prove what speed I was going just by saying I wasn't doing it. I KNOW I wasn't, as does my wife, but that means nothing in this case. Also, what would court costs look like? I plan to fight it, even if court costs would be more than the ticket just based on principle that I got a ticket for a straight up ******** reason, was never informed WHY I was stopped, and the fact that the cop was EXTREMELY unprofessional in his actions. My wife doesn't even want to hear me talking about becoming a federal LEO right now because of this crap.

Just FYI, I'm not one to fight tickets, never have before, because every time I have gotten one in the past, it has been legit. I have no trouble admitting when I'm doing something wrong, and if the ticket was written for a few mph over the limit, I wouldn't even bother fighting it. But because it's a flat out lie, I will be going to court for it. Again, if I get pulled over on I-12 for doing 80 in a 70, I won't bother fighting it, because odds are, that's about how fast I was going at the time.

Hunh Bruh

*Banned*
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 3, 2012
    setting you free!
    the tickets in baton rouge are the same if you are 1mph or 30mph over. so if he wrote 50 in a 20 or 21 in a 20 its the same price. i know because i read the back of one :eek3:

I looked down at my speedometer to make sure I was going about 20mph(speed limit during non-school zone hours is 35), and I was, maybe a fuzz over.

USMC-Deano

Baby Eagle FTW
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 20, 2011
    Oceanside, CA
    the tickets in baton rouge are the same if you are 1mph or 30mph over. so if he wrote 50 in a 20 or 21 in a 20 its the same price. i know because i read the back of one :eek3:

I noticed that, too, but again, I'm not worried about the price, I'm worried about the fact that it's a flat out lie. Seriously, I'll fight it even if it costs more than the fine would just on principle alone, along with my insurance getting reamed because of some BS ticket. As I said in the OP, if you want to give me a LEGIT ticket, I'm not going to waste my time fighting it, because I KNOW I was speeding, but I'm not bending over and taking this one without a fight, because what I was ticketed for is complete ********.

Hunh Bruh

*Banned*
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 3, 2012
    setting you free!
    I noticed that, too, but again, I'm not worried about the price, I'm worried about the fact that it's a flat out lie. Seriously, I'll fight it even if it costs more than the fine would just on principle alone, along with my insurance getting reamed because of some BS ticket. As I said in the OP, if you want to give me a LEGIT ticket, I'm not going to waste my time fighting it, because I KNOW I was speeding, but I'm not bending over and taking this one without a fight, because what I was ticketed for is complete ********.

you said you were 'a fuzz' over 20. thats speeding

if you can get me the officers name and badge ill call IA and get his supervisor to make him meet you and FORCE him to pick an acceptable number to you over 20mph, or you can settle on 21 mph?

or i will certify you and your speedometer for a nominal 'fee'

JBP55

La. CHP Instructor #409
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    338   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Walker
    Speeding in a School Zone your word against his, you lose in Court. He will tell how he observed you speeding and then clocked you with Radar/Lidar and you have nothing but your word you were not speeding, you lose. Ask for an 894 and pay the fine. It will not be on your record and your insurance will not go up. It would not go up for 1 Citation anyway.

Last edited:

BRitchieLCK

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 25, 2010
    Denham Springs, La
    If he did clock you and you decide to fight it in court ask him on the day he got you speeding through the school zone when was the last time his radar gun was calibrated and ask him to prove it.

jdessell

Womb-Raider
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Aug 28, 2011
    NOLA
    I have a lawyer who charges $150.00 to get them squashed. By the time you add up the original fine, insurance, lost time, parking... well you get the idea.

Ben

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 18, 2006
    Baton Rouge
    I drive down Broussard most mornings. People are always flying through that school zone. I saw a few cars pulled over when I went by this morning. Probably best to just pay $150 to a lawyer to take care of it.

JWG223

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Aug 16, 2011
    Shreveport
    Feels like a lot longer than that, but 4 years since my last ticket. Anyway, here goes.

I was driving my kid to the doctor this morning, and I was heading through a school zone that I go through a couple times a week while it is in effect (St. Joseph's Academy on Broussard in BR). When I was heading into the school zone, I looked down at my speedometer to make sure I was going about 20mph(speed limit during non-school zone hours is 35), and I was, maybe a fuzz over. I always do this because I usually have some jackoff behind me tailgating the crap out of me because they just HAVE to go, even though it's a school zone and the limit is 20. Right when I'm about to the main entrance of the school, I see a cop walking into the middle of the street flagging me to turn right, as if it's a detour or something, so I head on down that street so I can get my kid to her appt. Next thing I know, my wife is telling me the cop is still waving me down telling me to come back, so I back up slowly until I'm parked between two cars. Roll down my window, cop asks for license/reg, so I inform him I'm packing concealed, hand him my license, reg, insurance, and CHP. He hands me back the insurance and CHP after looking them over briefly, and he walks away to his car, which is parked in front of my car, and looks like he's going over stuff. This whole time, mind you, I'm thinking this is some kind of random registration/license check, because I have not been told ANYTHING except to show him my license/reg/ins. After a few minutes of my wife and I talking, me telling her to call the Dr. to let them know we might be late, I look at the cop and he's writing me a ticket, for what reason, I still have no idea. After he comes back to my window, he hands me back my license and reg, then asks me if I knew I was in a school zone, I replied to the affirmative, then he has me sign a ticket, which, again, I still have no idea what is for. I look at the ticket and see what LOOKS like 30mph in a 20 school zone, but the 3 is basically nonexistent, and it actually shows up as 0mph in a 20mph zone. The last thing he says is that I need to call "this" number, while pointing to it, to find out how much the fine is. So, seriously, WTF? I wasn't even CLOSE to 30mph, and I know my speedo isn't off that much. It's actually fast at speeds over about 50 by 2-3mph, depending on speed. When it reads 70, I'm doing about 67-68, according to GPS, and speeds below 40-45 are pretty much dead on, maybe 1mph fast. My speedometer never read faster than about 23-24 when I was in the school zone, however, this will be impossible to prove in court without video evidence, which I do not roll around with, because I'm not the kind of person who expects to be ticketed for something I did NOT do.

So, what are my chances of fighting this successfully in court? Being a school zone, I'm worried the judge might be a bit more strict, and again, I can't prove what speed I was going just by saying I wasn't doing it. I KNOW I wasn't, as does my wife, but that means nothing in this case. Also, what would court costs look like? I plan to fight it, even if court costs would be more than the ticket just based on principle that I got a ticket for a straight up ******** reason, was never informed WHY I was stopped, and the fact that the cop was EXTREMELY unprofessional in his actions. My wife doesn't even want to hear me talking about becoming a federal LEO right now because of this crap.

Just FYI, I'm not one to fight tickets, never have before, because every time I have gotten one in the past, it has been legit. I have no trouble admitting when I'm doing something wrong, and if the ticket was written for a few mph over the limit, I wouldn't even bother fighting it. But because it's a flat out lie, I will be going to court for it. Again, if I get pulled over on I-12 for doing 80 in a 70, I won't bother fighting it, because odds are, that's about how fast I was going at the time.

I didn't read it all, just skimmed, that's a SERIOUS wall of text, but I have only paid for one ticket in my entire life, and the officer lied about how fast I was going--and I agreed to his statement happily...

Go to court after calling to find out the EXACT charges against you.

A traffic lawyer will cost you more than the ticket is worth, so skip that.

Now, they will, after explaining things on a 3rd grade level, ask you to plead guilty or not guilty--you are going to ask if you "can please speak with the prosecuting attorney". They will take the guilty pleas first, as they just sign a piece of paper and then make payment arrangements. Then they will get to you (although they are going to tell you "It's going to be a LONG time, so go back and have a seat". It's not bad, really.)

You tell the prosecuting attorney what honestly occurred in a polite tone without placing blame on anyone.

They will either let you off, or say "Sorry, bud". At that point, you either ask for them to downgrade the violation because of: Your occupation/inability to pay for the ticket AND driving-school, so please can you just charge me with something that won't go on my insurance?/etc. etc. etc.

So far I have paid for:

29 over (yeah, they got me...but it never went on my record :) ) ($175+$50 driving school)
    Missing gas-cap. (17 over) ($117)
    Had one ticket judicated and was placed on 6mo probation in some little podunk town in Texas. (18 over or something) ($350)

I have an acquaintance that is a lawyer who would take care of going to court for me for $100, but I don't like to waste his time on stuff like that, and he has the same amount of luck as I do for the most part, and if it's just some stupid 15-20 over, I wouldn't bother. The School Zone is a nasty wrinkle to your situation, though, so you might want to consider. Usually, without a "deal", $300 is the going rate to make a ticket go away in a "straight" town. Shreveport is crooked as ****, but ever since our DA got his office trashed by the FBI, they have pretended they are straight, and they aren't going to let you do ANYTHING before your court date here.

When I had a rolling stop ticket in Mansfield, I just went and had a talk with the mayor and he took care of it for the cost of the ticket and made it go away (he didn't pocket it, I payed it just like it was the ticket and it went to the same place).

Last edited:

SVTFreak

Huh?
    Rating - 100%
    34   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    Galvez
    They must be hungry right now. One wrote me a 70 in a 55 the other day and I wasn't even 1 over. When've hit the lights I looked down and was dead nuts on 55. I was taking it easy cause I had a washer board game leaned up in the back of my wife's suv and didn't want it falling over. Still chapped over that lying cock sucker. I've paid many that I was doing and will but I'm still pissed about this one. Debating fighting it cause I know chances are I'll lose.

edman87k5

Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Oct 22, 2007
    Ventress, LA
    You mean cops arent all 100% honest? They will lie and make stuff up? Even just to get your money when there was no harm done?
    Somebody want to list these lawyers that will take care of it for $150?

CrkdLtr

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Sep 12, 2006
    I often think the cops doing school zone ticketing just randomly select people for the speeding ticket. My only two tickets that I received have occurred in school zones.

CrkdLtr

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Sep 12, 2006
    i figured they ticket the random guy speeding

tumblr_m1yx4yrZel1qi13xvo2_500.jpg

Knave

Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 27, 2010
    Baton Rouge
    They must be hungry right now. One wrote me a 70 in a 55 the other day and I wasn't even 1 over. When've hit the lights I looked down and was dead nuts on 55. I was taking it easy cause I had a washer board game leaned up in the back of my wife's suv and didn't want it falling over. Still chapped over that lying cock sucker. I've paid many that I was doing and will but I'm still pissed about this one. Debating fighting it cause I know chances are I'll lose.

You weren't being stopped for how fast you were going when you were lit up. You were probably clocked a good 10 seconds earlier, and possibly even longer before that. I know a guy that clocks people coming west on I-12/I-10 at the split, gets behind them, and pulls them over into TJ Ribs/Chevron/Shell parking lots on Acadian. Doesn't light them up until they are approaching the Acadian exit, almost a mile down the road from where he actually clocked them.

Deano, a similar thing likely happened to you. The officer may have been in error, but it's also possible that he was clocking you right as you entered the school zone, and was maybe not giving any grace.

my buddies who are cops DGAF if they catch speeders or not. they get the same check.

Hm, this is true for alot IMO, but definitely not all. Hypothetically speaking, we could pretend for a moment that certain elements within BRPD push an implied quota system, and that officers might be subject to intimidation and harassment for not complying. Hypothetically speaking of course:hsugh:

Top Bottom