First time handgun buyer! Have a question.

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • brentb03

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 9, 2013
    Thibodaux, LA
    I have owned many shotguns and rifles but I am looking to make my first handgun purchase. I have already decided that I want a 9MM (need to get used to handguns before stepping up and cheaper ammo for hopefully lots of range time). This gun will be mostly used for range shooting and home defense although maybe conceal carry in the future. Looking to spend in the $500 to $600 range. With all of this said I have done quite a bit of research and have narrowed down my choices to a S&W M&P 9MM and a Glock 19. Has anyone fired both if so what are your thoughts? I do plan on firing both before I buy but would love to hear from some handgun veterans who are not trying to sell me anything! ;)

Thanks in advance!

aroundlsu

Bayou Photo Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Dec 21, 2007
    Baton Rouge
    Welcome to Bayoushooter. Both are excellent first handguns. They are different grips though so try them out before deciding. Personally, I would get the smith because I like the grip angle better and it's just cooler overall. :)

JBP55

La. CHP Instructor #409
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    338   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Walker
    Two good choices. If you go with the S&W get a very new pistol because S&W has recently improved the trigger and hopefully resolved the 9mm accuracy issue some have.

Dishonored

Hunter
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Oct 27, 2012
    Prairieville
    M&p is actually available still around here as far as I can tell....And is a nice gun. It is a bit higher than a gen 3 g19 and in my opinion having shot both and I owned a m&p.... I would go with the g19 hands down. GLOCK parts are everywhere and so are their certified smiths. But you will be waiting to get one of those... Most distributors are out.
    Shoot them both before choosing. The one thing i do like about the M&p over the GLOCK is the grip texture. It is not near as "slick" as the glocks and the straps are interchangeable.

johnmichael

Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 13, 2012
    Hammond, La
    ^^^Good advice, spot on describing the different grips between M&P and Glock. My nod would go to Glock also...I like the build better and just easier to work on.

luv1979

Genesis 27:3
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 18, 2012
    Shreveport, LA
    I love them both! I have the S&W and my father in law has the Glock 19. When eevgetbtogether to shoot we trade shooting them back and forth. You can't go wrong with either one, both are excellent guns.

neverknowsbest

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 1, 2009
    BRLA
    yes both are great. i have a 23, and it fits my hands just right. if you have larger hands, you may want something different. but ive had no problems with mine.

peyton676

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 28, 2012
    New Roads, LA
    I got to handle a G17,MP,and XDM last night,all seem sweet and feel good
    No 19s in stock so all i could get my hands on was a 17 that i wasnt looking to buy.
    Ive narrowed down to a G19 and Xdm. Still very unsure
    Didn't care for xdms grip safety,or smiths trigger

Last edited:

Jack

Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Dec 9, 2010
    Covington
    M&p is actually available still around here as far as I can tell....And is a nice gun. It is a bit higher than a gen 3 g19 and in my opinion having shot both and I owned a m&p.... I would go with the g19 hands down. GLOCK parts are everywhere and so are their certified smiths. But you will be waiting to get one of those... Most distributors are out.
    Shoot them both before choosing. The one thing i do like about the M&p over the GLOCK is the grip texture. It is not near as "slick" as the glocks and the straps are interchangeable.

Look at a gen 4, its got more texture and the back straps. It also has a better mag release.

fng

Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Nov 2, 2008
    St. Charles Parish
    I own both and to me neither one as any better than the other. Both are VERY accurate and VERY reliable. It's which ever one you can find the best deal on.

brentb03

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 9, 2013
    Thibodaux, LA
    Thanks for all of the replies. As it turns out fate or rather potential gun ban made the decision for me. I was only able to find the M&P and only in .40S&W not 9MM. I haven't had a chance to shoot it yet but will try to hit the range tomorrow. It does feel good in the hand!! Again thanks for the replies.

Mac 1

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 5, 2012
    Welsh, LA
    I have both the Glock and S&W and they are good pistols. One that I have not seen mentioned though, is the Steyr M9-A1. It is a fantastic gun. Very little recoil and it has trapezoid sights. I have 12 9 mm pistols and the Steyr is the sweetest of them all in my view.

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Mikeyy504
    Top Bottom