First time to get pulled over by a cop

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jackinpox

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 17, 2011
    Westwego, LA
    I got pulled over by a state trooper this morning. And im not gonna lie I was speeding. But this was the first time I got pulled over with my gun in my truck, I told the officer where I had it and that it was between the seat. He then ask if I had a carry permit and a bill of sale???? I thought I knew the law but I shouldn't need carry permit to have my gun in my truck right??????

alpinehyperlite

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 27, 2011
    Baton Rouge
    No. You don't. But if he saw that you had a permit, he might have just been curious. Idk why he asked for a bill of sale. I've never heard of a LEO asking to see that.

SVTFreak

Huh?
    Rating - 100%
    34   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    Galvez
    I got stopped by LSP the other day also. I informed him that I have permit but was not armed nor one in vehicle at the time. When he returned, he told me that if I wasn t armed, I didn't need to tell him that.

Well, law says you gotta tell them you have permit and tell them if your armed. If rather tell him and him not be pissed if he saw it on his check and I hadn't told him

jackinpox

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 17, 2011
    Westwego, LA
    I have a bill of sale he asked if I had it then that was it. But yes I did get a ticket. I just wanted to knOw if I had missed something with the law

03protege

#1 Stevel Spell II fan
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Nov 20, 2008
    Mandeville
    Did he actually look at your bill of sale? I've heard of NOPD pulling this stunt but would expect more for a trooper.

themcfarland

tactical hangover
    Rating - 100%
    58   0   0
    Dec 6, 2008
    Destrehan
    no you didnt miss anything. No you dont have to carry the bill of sale...

I got stopped yesterday, actually had two on me, told him as he walked up, thought it was funny I would have a 45 AND a 380... asked me where I bought them, I said it doesnt matter there is no registration process for guns.. whether they were sold face to face or though a local dealer.. his buddy ran them, of course and they came back fine and not in NCIC..

I said dont treat me like an idiot since I didnt treat him like one, we went on our business of me getting an inspection ticket, even though he saw me pull out of the place and I told him I had made an appointment for today since the guy was obviously busy and it would have gone past 5.. he didnt care.. said if I made my appointment for today and got it inspected I could get the ticket waved and just pay the court costs.. well the ticket is 130, fn court costs are 100.. He didnt do me any favors.. fn dick head..

as I am pulling out of the court house after setting up arrangments, another pulled me over, I thought WTH, right.. lol He just wanted to ask about my jeep, and asked if I wanted some flairs... I about died laughing.. He didnt get it till I told him..

Hunh Bruh

*Banned*
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 3, 2012
    setting you free!
    no you didnt miss anything. No you dont have to carry the bill of sale...

I got stopped yesterday, actually had two on me, told him as he walked up, thought it was funny I would have a 45 AND a 380... asked me where I bought them, I said it doesnt matter there is no registration process for guns.. whether they were sold face to face or though a local dealer.. his buddy ran them, of course and they came back fine and not in NCIC..

I said dont treat me like an idiot since I didnt treat him like one, we went on our business of me getting an inspection ticket, even though he saw me pull out of the place and I told him I had made an appointment for today since the guy was obviously busy and it would have gone past 5.. he didnt care.. said if I made my appointment for today and got it inspected I could get the ticket waved and just pay the court costs.. well the ticket is 130, fn court costs are 100.. He didnt do me any favors.. fn dick head..

as I am pulling out of the court house after setting up arrangments, another pulled me over, I thought WTH, right.. lol He just wanted to ask about my jeep, and asked if I wanted some flairs... I about died laughing.. He didnt get it till I told him..

I don't get why flairs are funny. But big words confuse me.

deafdave3

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Apr 26, 2010
    I get pulled over for speeding a few times... and I always tell them I have my "licensed concealed handgun" with me. Only once, did the cop get excited, confiscate the handgun (it was a Firestorm; he coulda kept it and let me go home), took it apart, and called it in.

At least I didn't get a ticket.

charlie12

Not a Fed.
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 21, 2008
    Pride
    I got stopped by LSP the other day also. I informed him that I have permit but was not armed nor one in vehicle at the time. When he returned, he told me that if I wasn t armed, I didn't need to tell him that.

Well, law says you gotta tell them you have permit and tell them if your armed. If rather tell him and him not be pissed if he saw it on his check and I hadn't told him

A few years back someone posted on here about a problem with a LEO out in Livingston Parish. The guy got stopped I think leaving the State Park in Springfield. He was NOT armed and had a CHP. He didn't tell the LEO that he had a CHP since he didn't have any guns on his person or in his vehicle. The LEO found out when he ran his DL and came back and chewed out the guy and told him he could take him to jail.

He should have told him "well just book me."

BRitchieLCK

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 25, 2010
    Denham Springs, La
    You only need to inform a Leo that you have a chp if you are carrying on your person. If you are not armed there's no need for you to volenteer that information. If your weapon is in your vehicle ie under the seat, in the glovebox or in the console and he ask if you have any weapons in the vehicle then yes you need to tell him/her.

charlie12

Not a Fed.
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 21, 2008
    Pride
    I got pulled over by a state trooper this morning. And im not gonna lie I was speeding. But this was the first time I got pulled over with my gun in my truck, I told the officer where I had it and that it was between the seat. He then ask if I had a carry permit and a bill of sale???? I thought I knew the law but I shouldn't need carry permit to have my gun in my truck right??????

Since you know who the Trooper is I would call Troop B at (504) 471-2775 tomorrow and ask to speak to Capt. Saizan. Ask him why his Trooper wanted a bill of sale and is that SOP for Troop B.

themcfarland

tactical hangover
    Rating - 100%
    58   0   0
    Dec 6, 2008
    Destrehan
    What agency stopped you? Was it a two man unit or two units?
    the guy that stopped me was bike, the backup was a cruiser who was a white guy right handed, 6 foot tall. 190 or so as its hard to tell with Body armor.. DSprings.. the back up ran the guns and was likely a trainer.. had some tattoos on arm..

The bike rider wore glasses, young.. tazer qualified..

Top Bottom