Fish-Fry day Today

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • N4sir

Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Aug 13, 2010
    Metairie, LA

I know a lot of people were boiling crawfish today being Good Friday but I decided to fry some good Des Allemands catfish this evening.

DVI0Gz.jpg

This morning I sliced up some potatoes 1/4" for fries. let them soak in vinegar and water until I was ready to cook this evening.

69QlBW.jpg

Time to eat!
    I also whipped up a spicy cole slaw as well as a tartar sauce, remoulade, and cocktail sauces for anyone who wanted any.

j4zuut.jpg

Of course I enjoyed a few ice cold Abita Strawberry lagers while cooking and with my dinner.

LRCHzL.jpg

This was a delicious meal!!!

N4sir

Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Aug 13, 2010
    Metairie, LA
    For this fry I used half Louisiana Fish Fry and half Zatarains Fish Fry. The Louisiana is a little coarser and the Zatarains is more like flour. I sliced the fish then let it marinate in beer and yellow mustard. When battering I use batter bowl with more dry fish fry batter than really necessary. That way you get a consistent coating of the batter.

The vinegar imparts a slight tang like vinegar potato chips and it helps to crisp the fries more than just frying. It only takes a few tablespoons of white vinegar.

davidd

Expert in the field of wife avoidance
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    May 9, 2011
    Baton Rouge, LA
    For this fry I used half Louisiana Fish Fry and half Zatarains Fish Fry. The Louisiana is a little coarser and the Zatarains is more like flour. I sliced the fish then let it marinate in beer and yellow mustard. When battering I use batter bowl with more dry fish fry batter than really necessary. That way you get a consistent coating of the batter.

The vinegar imparts a slight tang like vinegar potato chips and it helps to crisp the fries more than just frying. It only takes a few tablespoons of white vinegar.
    I like Louisiana Products better for that exact reason, but it is nice to see someone else point out the differences I have seen myself. I will try the vinegar suggestion. That is a very interesting suggestion that needs to be tried. I too use LOTS of batter, almost wastefully. Your cook looks really, really awesome.

Top Bottom