Fishing from Kayak anyone?

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • lureman

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 4, 2012
    Indiana
    I'm thinking about getting a Kayak to fish streams and small lakes and wondered if anyone had any thoughts or stories on Kayak fishing? Looks like it would be a lot of fun and pretty inexpensive.
    Thanks, Dan

BigNick73

Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Sep 21, 2008
    Brandon, MS
    I have a hobie outback that I used alot when living there. There's a couple of clubs that I know of.. Google the Lafayette kayak fishing club and there's one in baton Rouge are that was called bayou coast kayak fishing club or something to that nature. If you are in the Lafayette area go to pack and paddle and talk to skip, I'm assuming he's still there, you can pick whichever ones you want and go test drive them.

Gus McCrae

No sir, I ain't.
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 25, 2009
    Colorado
    PM Barbarosa. He's into doing Kayak stuff. Even talked about hunting using one (so you can get to those harder to reach places).

CrkdLtr

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Sep 12, 2006
    Have done it from a home-made pirogue. Mostly in ponds. Would love to afford a Hobbie Pro Angler and fish down in the marsh.

Pale Horse

one quarter civilized
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    May 15, 2007
    West Monroe, LA
    I've fished out of one for about 4 years now. Mine is a $200 Pelican from Academy and I've had zero problems out of it. It'll squeeze through pretty much anything at least 28 inches wide and 5 inches deep.

The only downsides are not being able to get out on the river due to the faster current (you can, but it's a one way ticket), and being limited on the amount of fish you can have on a stringer alongside the boat without it being a question of who's pulling who.

Last edited:

troy_mclure

Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 13, 2010
    Central
    I did a lot of fishing from sea kayaks in the puget sound. Talk about exciting when a 25lb coho salmon drags you around for 10 mins!

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 15, 2008
    New Orleans, Lafayette, and SC
    I used to do some bass fishing out of my parent's kayak when I was still living in South Carolina. I usually had better outings in the kayak then I would have when taking the motor boat out. Once I get my tax refund in and then some, I plan on buying a fishing kayak to use down here.

lureman

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 4, 2012
    Indiana
    Thanks for all the posts! When I get one and get proficient at it, I'll be meeting up with some of you to fish a bit!
    BTW, I have found several cool videos on YouTube regarding kayak fishing.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 15, 2008
    Yea, I find that you don't spook the fish as much from a kayak. Other advantages are not having to fill it up with gas, you can launch from the side of the road, you get a little workout, and it's more exciting when you actually get a fish that pulls you around some. You are however limited to where you can fish though, you can't really travel all over because it would take forever, and you obviously can't go out in rough weather. But you can however get into the tight/shallow areas to get after the reds.

OneStory

Warrior in God's Army
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 5, 2010
    Wandering
    Yea, I find that you don't spook the fish as much from a kayak. Other advantages are not having to fill it up with gas, you can launch from the side of the road, you get a little workout, and it's more exciting when you actually get a fish that pulls you around some. You are however limited to where you can fish though, you can't really travel all over because it would take forever, and you obviously can't go out in rough weather. But you can however get into the tight/shallow areas to get after the reds.

I find that I pass up too many fish when in a gas-powered boat.

Aussiecajun

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 19, 2012
    Maurice LA
    Sorry to hijack the thread a bit but I've been thinking of getting into kayak fishing but I'm unsure cos of the gators. Are they a problem when fishing out of a kayak, or do they tend to give a wide berth?

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 15, 2008
    I find that I pass up too many fish when in a gas-powered boat.

I agree with you here haha. I tend to focus in on an area better and fish it more thorough

Sorry to hijack the thread a bit but I've been thinking of getting into kayak fishing but I'm unsure cos of the gators. Are they a problem when fishing out of a kayak, or do they tend to give a wide berth?

I have only done a little kayaking out in gator areas, and I have never had a problem. For the most part they are usually going to keep their distance from you.

Brian22

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 22, 2009
    Lafayette
    I fish from a pro angler and its a blast, i go often to cocodrie, hwy 1, and big lake, always ready to go out so give a pm.

As fo gators, aussiecajun, they've left me alone. seen some big boys in lake Martin too.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 using Tapatalk

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    alwill112
    Top Bottom