Fishing in Bogue Chitto? (The park or the river)

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • OzymandiasX

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 25, 2013
    I'm planning to spend a few days camping at Bogue Chitto State Park in a few weeks. There are lakes (ponds) on the campground and the Bogue Chitto river passes through as well, but I can't seem to find any info on fishing there. I called the park and they were nice, but didn't know a thing about fishing.

Has anyone here been fishing there? Is the fishing any good? Is it mostly bass and perch? Any tips on fishing the ponds or the river?

Ijaw

Unknown Camper
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 20, 2013
    Bayou Tigre, LA
    What is the temperature of the water?

Reason being, Bass will be feeding at 57* or below and will be much harder to catch, but the Crappie fishing should be getting good. Crappie function excellent in 57* water.

Danny Abear

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Aug 11, 2007
    Brusly, La.
    I have camped there several times, never saw anyone catching any fish in the old gravel pits they call ponds. However I have seen a couple of old black guys catching a few at a pit in the rear of lower campground behind the water park.
    Don't know what kind they were.

paddle007

Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Apr 15, 2009
    Covington
    Years ago we would do multiple day canoe trips down the Bogue Chitto with Enon being our destination. I always found the river challenging from a bank or canoe. The producing areas were always ponds that no one seemed to fish and were close enough to get flushed when the river flooded. Some of the most fun I had fishing for bass was in those hidden ponds. Gravel pit ponds of age with clear water are difficult. Timing is everything with them. Good luck figuring out the feeding schedule.
    On second thought with all the mapping available some preparation with scouting for those gems could pay off.

LACamper

oldbie
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 3, 2007
    Metairie, LA
    I've never tried the Bogue Chitto but I watched someone land a couple of nice bass on Magee's Creek (feeds into the bogue chitto). There are reports of fossils on the sand bars if you get bored waiting for a bite.

Good luck!

paddle007

Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Apr 15, 2009
    Covington
    I've never tried the Bogue Chitto but I watched someone land a couple of nice bass on Magee's Creek (feeds into the bogue chitto). There are reports of fossils on the sand bars if you get bored waiting for a bite.

Good luck!
    Magees and Red Creek are known for petrified wood. Magees Creek would be a slow trip because of current water levels. Catch it with some water and it is a great float with good fishing. Catch some spot tail shiners, hang limb lines at night, scramble some eggs the next morning with fresh catfish on a beach and have a great start to a day. Brings back good memories.

paddle007

Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Apr 15, 2009
    Covington
    The issue I have been lucky enough to avoid is trespassing in MS. The landowners property line is in the middle of the river. As soon as your foot hits anything you are trespassing. I know a few times some of my friends have been run off a beach during the night while canoe camping. These were adults being responsible with respect to the land. As far a river conditions the the USGS does not monitor Maggees Creek. Leaves one to trust the local outfitters for info. Road rage......your on your own there.

OzymandiasX

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 25, 2013
    Thanks for the advice. I'll be up there in a few days and will be bringing some assorted fishing gear. If I have any success I'll let yall know.

edman87k5

Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Oct 22, 2007
    Ventress, LA
    I have fished there several times. Never any luck in the gravel pits, but have seen some brem pulled from them. No real luck on the river either, did find one spot that was decent about 15' above the water, caught a few small ones but no real way to land a nice fish from there.
    This was tight lining with worms and shad and bass fishing with artificials.

Hashler

Weekend Warrior
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 29, 2010
    Denham Springs
    Going out there this weekend, probably pick up some worms and crickets see what works. I wonder if they stock those pit ponds at all or if I will just be killing bait.

J.wag

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 25, 2015
    poplarville mississippi
    I'm planning a trip next week to kayak from the lock 3 boat launch to walkiah bluff launch. Fishing along the way I will let you know what I catch! Also does anyone know what you need to have on you to legally camp there? Just the print out thing? Or do they have a check in station.

I'm going to the boga chitto national wildlife refuge not state park.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom