Fishy.....

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jasonj5313

Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Dec 29, 2011
    Ponchatoula
    So the story below represents a weird encounter this afternoon.

The wife and I was sitting around playing with the baby and a knock came from the garage door, which is odd being that I wasn't expecting anyone to come over.(I usually don't keep the garage open due to inventory) Anyway, I open the door and a cute girl is there around 30 years old and she asks me if I wanted to have a rug cleaned. I politely told her "no". She proceeded to tell me that she had a quota to fill and she had to get 3 more people to let her clean their rug. (This is were it gets fishy) I told her "no" again. I then noticed there were three guys in the suburban with her and no equipment. She then asked me if she could polish my tile flooring and I told her "no". She went back to her quota, but now changed it to 2 people needed to let her do her test. (At this time I am thinking she is trying to get me to buy something, or she and her buddies wants to come in my house really bad)

I told her that I was not interested in any "free" service. She then asked me for her flyer back, so she could give it to the next homeowner. The thing is she got into the truck and they left the block and didn't move on to the next home.

Recap of Fishiness

1. Trying to come in my house multiple times with different excuses
    2. Not having any cleaning supplies and asking to clean my rug in a sundress. (Usually when women want to clean my house in a sundress they want a couple hundred dollars an hour)
    3. Having multiple guys in the truck, that weren't very professional looking. (Trying not to stereotype)
    4. Asking for her flyer back and not letting me hold onto it for future reference (Maybe they aren't up on marketing and don't know how business cards and flyers work)

So I guess I am going to sleep with the shotgun. Luckily I just picked up a nice 30+ round mag for the 9mm from Bayoushooter.

The question I have is, am I paranoid? I could use some of that cop insight on this one. (Or as Speedracer say's some of yall's Spideysenses from the booty buddy club)

Spent Brass

Keeping South BR Classy
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Oct 5, 2010
    baton rouge
    9mm shotgun? lol. I'd be on alert for a few days. hopefully they'll just move on to someone less aware and not come back to bother you. Hope you didn't have to much valuable in sight in the garage.

JWG223

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Aug 16, 2011
    Shreveport
    Hell no. I would NOT have let those people in. Travis Horn would have shot them on his lawn the way they were acting, lol

jasonj5313

Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Dec 29, 2011
    Ponchatoula
    That's what I told the wife, never let anyone in that you didn't call. They probably would have tried to rob me. What they didn't know was that I carry at home.

Dummy walked right past a bunch of Ar uppers. (They were boxed up, so she probably didn't know)

The shotgun is a 12gauge, I leave the 9mm for the wife so she can spray and pray.

Hattrick 22

Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 13, 2011
    Kenner, Louisiana
    Does sound fishy to me. Check out the locks and such that you have case your place for a few days then hit it. I am not trying to freak you out but being on your toes lately isn't such a bad idea since the criminals have started upping their game. Your gut and judgement won't steer you wrong and I would give the cops a heads up you might not have been the only person they have tried to check out that thought things where a little fishy. Description of all of them vehicle and flyer/anything else would probably be helpful if they do turn out to be non legitimate.

Last edited:

gmshooter

Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    328   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    Gramercy La.
    keep it on lockdown brother you never know who is going to show up. she does not sound legit!!! Lots of home invasions going on!

RedStickChick

-Global Mod-
    Premium Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 6, 2012
    Baton Rouge
    That's really scary. I've actually had something like that happen to me before. It was right after a storm and they claimed to do debris removal. I was living alone at the time and called one of my cop friends to come over for the night. They actually came back around 3am and he arrested them :shocked:

oleheat

Professional Amateur
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 18, 2009
    She didn't work for Trojan Horse Carpet Cleaners Inc., by chance? :squint:

No- that wasn't normal. This ain't 1953. Door to door carpet cleaners? Please.

Your suspicions were probably correct....keep your eyes open and your protection close.

jasonj5313

Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Dec 29, 2011
    Ponchatoula
    negative on the plates, but I will be calling TPSO tomorrow. (I don't want to freak the wife out)

I'm a city boy and pride myself on street smarts and 1+1 was not adding up.

maybe she was dumb and is caught up in a pyramid rug cleaning scheme.

What I do know is since I've been hanging around this place, and doing my gun thing I catch myself paying more attention to my surroundings. (call me a pig, but a few years ago i would have been thinking dirty thoughts about said girl)

Last edited:

enutees

Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jul 4, 2010
    Prairieville
    I call the cops on all door to door salesmen. Luckily it is my next door neighbor but he gets someone else to come if he isn't home. We have had several that he has checked out that had warrants for burglary. I do not trust them at all and if I'm outside or if I see them coming I switch to open carry. I never open the door unarmed if I'm not expecting someone.

SpeedRacer

Rating - 100%
    92   0   0
    Feb 23, 2007
    Mandeville, LA
    The downside to having a home-based FFL. Maybe coincidence, maybe not. If your garage has a manual lock, use it! If you don't have a monitored alarm, I'd get one.

It may have just been some kind of a scam as opposed to robbery attempt, but there's no harm in being cautious. Keep your guard up and be safe man.

jasonj5313

Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Dec 29, 2011
    Ponchatoula
    The downside to having a home-based FFL. Maybe coincidence, maybe not. If your garage has a manual lock, use it! If you don't have a monitored alarm, I'd get one.

It may have just been some kind of a scam as opposed to robbery attempt, but there's no harm in being cautious. Keep your guard up and be safe man.

Definatly have an alarm and garage door locks

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Gordoloco
    Top Bottom