Fl Non-resident question

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • dsonyay

Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Dec 15, 2007
    Broussard, LA
    I hold a Florida Non-Resident CC permit. I'm a resident of La. I was made aware today that my permit will no longer be valid in La.

(And I did read the above sticky, but there is something that confuses me)

I dug up the new rule on the state police website and it says this:

(2) A nonresident concealed handgun permit issued by another state is invalid in the state of Louisiana if issued to an individual who is a resident of this state has been denied a handgun permit or has been issued a handgun permit which is under revocation or suspension.

Ok- so I am a resident LA, but I have not been denied a handgun permit nor had a permit suspended or revoked.

So- does this mean my Fl non-resident permit is OK? Or does it mean my FL Non-Resident is invalid for any of the three reasons in the new law? The wording is confusing, there seems to be two stipulations to make the Non-resident permit "invalid."

I have not been notified by the state of Florida, but plan on calling them ASAP, as well as the La State Police Concealed Handgun division.

Florida keeps their Conceal Carry portion of the website updated and assure their readers that they DO keep it current to the day-- So I find it odd there is no mention of the La State change affecting their Non-Resident permit holders.

The wording of the new La state law makes is hard to make sense of. Seems a comma is missing between "state has" or is it supposed to be worded like that?
    Poor grammar in the actual text of the law??

Seems our state is simply trying to stop a LA resident who was denied a La License, or had theirs revoked, to go through the Florida system to get one.

Also according to the LA State Police website, the law is already in effect, but I've read in numerous websites it doesn't go into effect until Aug 2011. Seems even the LA State Police is not as updated as it should

Man- I'm confused! I spent good money getting that license.

I lurk on this forum quite a bit, and you guys seem to be up on this- so I eagerly await your comments.

David
    Slidell
    USN (ret)

Guate_shooter

LA CHP Instructor # 522
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Dec 4, 2009
    (Breaux Bridge)
    1)you need to apply for a Louisiana CHP, and you have until August 15,2011. This date is only good if your permit was valid/current before August 15,2010

2) Why would the State of Florida notify you of something that is not happening in their State ?? Maybe as a courtesy but its not a responsability, they are not making any changes.

Florida is NOT stopping to issue said Permits, they just wont be accepted here for a Resident of this State.

honestlou

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 17, 2009
    Baton Rouge
    1)you need to apply for a Louisiana CHP, and you have until August 15,2011. This date is only good if your permit was valid/current before August 15,2010.....

Just to clarify, you need to have a Louisiana permit by August 15, 2011-- your Florida non-resident permit is not good after that date. It doesn't help if you've applied for Louisiana but haven't gotten it yet.

Guate_shooter

LA CHP Instructor # 522
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Dec 4, 2009
    (Breaux Bridge)
    Just to clarify, you need to have a Louisiana permit by August 15, 2011-- your Florida non-resident permit is not good after that date. It doesn't help if you've applied for Louisiana but haven't gotten it yet.

JUst to clarify his permit is NOT good here but still good in Florida and any other State they have reciprocity (US EXCLUDED), and the one year window ONLY applies if the permit was Issued by the State of Florida before said date, a permit issued after that date is still NOT valid in the State of Louisiana and does NOT fall on the one year window.

Better?????????

:)

Last edited:

dsonyay

Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Dec 15, 2007
    Broussard, LA
    JUst to clarify his permit is NOT good here but still good in Florida and any other State they have reciprocity (US EXCLUDED), and the one year window ONLY applies if the permit was Issued by the State of Florida before said date, a permit issued after that date is still NOT valid in the State of Louisiana and does NOT fall on the one year window.

Better?????????

:)

Yes-- my FL Non-resident permit was issued in 2007. So-- seems to me it is still valid until Aug 2011.

And yes-- I'm in the process of applying for a LA permit.

But like I said I do not quite understand the way the law is written. My original post quotes the passage from the LA State police website. The wording leads me to understand that my FL non-resident permit would be voided if I was a LA resident "AND" (??) I was denied a La permit. (The portion I underlined). It's just confusing to me.

Like I said I'm going to call someone later to explain that wording. Seems some commas and maybe a word like "and/or" are missing in that particular sentence.

I didn't mean to say Florida should notify me personally. Rather, their website is updated daily to notify their permit holders of changes in other state laws that may affect FL resident and FL Non-resident permit holders. I check that site quite a bit, and nothing about the LA law change is mentioned. I guess I worded that incorrectly.

I definitely don't want to break the law. Since my permit was issued in 2007-- am I ok to use it until AUG2011? Thanks again for the comments.

dsonyay

Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Dec 15, 2007
    Broussard, LA
    You can read about it here. http://bayoushooter.com/forums/showthread.php?t=52876

You are going to need a LA pemit.

Thanks-----

I didn't see that thread. I did read the actual bill ( http://www.legis.state.la.us/billdata/streamdocument.asp?did=721669 ) and it makes sense now. The information on the La State Police website is what I have a difficult time with. They seemed to have typed in the data and made grammatical errors or something.

I'm disappointed. I was hoping to apply for a La Permit later on when my Fl Non-Res permit was nearing the expiration date. Had a couple years left on it.

David

yarbsea

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 1, 2009
    Bossier
    The real question - are military members stationed in Louisiana "residents" ???? I don't pay taxes...do I need a louisiana permit? I don't think so...but sure don't want to go to court to find out!

DuckYou

Angry Wiener
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Oct 9, 2009
    Baton Rouge, LA
    You may want to ask if a Louisiana CCL is going to be good in Florida after August 15, 2011. The Florida law states that they are reciprocal only with states that accept their license. I am not sure if that includes the non-resident.

Baldrik78

Misanthrope Savant
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jul 7, 2009
    Baton Rouge, LA
    You may want to ask if a Louisiana CCL is going to be good in Florida after August 15, 2011. The Florida law states that they are reciprocal only with states that accept their license. I am not sure if that includes the non-resident.

LA still recognizes Florida Resident and Non-Resident licenses. The Non-Resident licenses are only invalid if you are a resident of LA. I.e. if you are a resident of Texas and have a Florida Non-Resident license, it is still valid in LA.

Col_Sanders

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Oct 24, 2010
    Deridder
    I swear this state will never stop finding ways to take money out of my pocket. First I have to pay sales tax on a vehicle I bought 4 years ago in another state, then I have to pay it on a vehicle I traded in, now my permit that I got while stationed in FL is no good. Whats next, checking my bank statements for purchases I made out of state and charging me tax on that? :rolleyes:

Emperor

Seriously Misunderstood!
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 7, 2011
    Nether region

I know this thread is kinda of old, but Duck, you may remember my NRA rant? This was the exact reson why the NRA pushed for the Federal Reciprocity Act.

DuckYou

Angry Wiener
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Oct 9, 2009
    Baton Rouge, LA
    I know this thread is kinda of old, but Duck, you may remember my NRA rant? This was the exact re_son why the NRA pushed for the Federal Reciprocity Act.

And we still do not need more FEDERAL LAWS. I am thinking about canceling my NRA membership because of people like you whom blindly follow their lead on everything.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    alwill112
    Top Bottom