Flooded Gun Safe

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • barbarossa

Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jun 18, 2010
    Baton Rouge
    Helping a friend clean out his flooded house, here"s one small lesson to learn from this: Do not buy a gun safe with an electronic key pad lock. If it goes underwater, you won't be able to get in. The lock is dead, even with a fresh battery. They don't just have guns in there, but family jewellery, documents, etc. We can't get it open. It's bolted into the concrete foundation. Anybody have any ideas?

JeeperCreeper

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 18, 2012
    LaLa Land
    Call either a locksmith or safe company... Brunson is a safe company van I see riding through my neighborhood.

Cutting wheels and sledge hammers?

JeeperCreeper

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 18, 2012
    LaLa Land
    Yeah I have the electronic lock, and have been thinking about issues it could have for years. I guess I will start looking into pricing on getting it switched if possible.

Blue Diamond

sportsman
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 12, 2014
    Metairie, La.
    My safe and most modern safes have a key override for this kind of issue. Think back about a key somewhere. It will be one of the round type and the lock may be hidden by a plastic panel.

Dave328

Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Jul 11, 2007
    Gretna
    Funny electronic lock story:
    When I first got my safe, i put all of my valuables in it including our passports. Fast forward almost a year, and i go to the safe the morning we were to leave on a cruise to gwt our passports. Lock clicks but won't unlock! Heartrate shot into the stratosphere as I'm thinking how i can rip this thing open in 2 hours. Turns out the 9 volt was too weak to cycle the solenoid fully. Replaced battery and all was good. Now it gets a new fresh 9 volt every 4 months! Even after that, i still prefer electronic since i can get into it way faster than a mechanical.

DAVE_M

_________
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Apr 17, 2009
    ________
    Funny electronic lock story:
    When I first got my safe, i put all of my valuables in it including our passports. Fast forward almost a year, and i go to the safe the morning we were to leave on a cruise to gwt our passports. Lock clicks but won't unlock! Heartrate shot into the stratosphere as I'm thinking how i can rip this thing open in 2 hours. Turns out the 9 volt was too weak to cycle the solenoid fully. Replaced battery and all was good. Now it gets a new fresh 9 volt every 4 months! Even after that, i still prefer electronic since i can get into it way faster than a mechanical.

One thing I will never understand is people that buy crap batteries. Not saying you did, but if it isn't Duracell or Energizer, you are wasting your money.

Hattrick 22

Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 13, 2011
    Kenner, Louisiana
    I own one also, with *gasp* and electronic lock. But it's one of the reasons why I went with cannon.

Yeah I have an electronic lock on mine as well. You can't prepare for everything mechanical stuff fails too (guns for example) you can't tell me that all of that flooding wouldn't rust/damage all of those fine enternals needed to work the locking mechanism on dial safes... just sayin.

One thing I will never understand is people that buy crap batteries. Not saying you did, but if it isn't Duracell or Energizer, you are wasting your money.

I had the same issue awhile back (that Dave328 did) and I used a lithium energizer for mine.

However, I didn't replace it until it went dead which took a little over a year.

Last edited:

Dave328

Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Jul 11, 2007
    Gretna
    Top of the line Duracell. Same type used at my wifes hospital for life sustaining equipment. Was a little surprised it lasted only a year, but oh well, lesson learned.

DAVE_M

_________
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Apr 17, 2009
    ________
    you can't tell me that all of that flooding wouldn't rust/damage all of those fine enternals needed to work the locking mechanism on dial safes... just sayin..

This.

No matter what, a rusted safe will be difficult to open, and from my experience with quality mechanical locks, if you don't operate them with precision, they won't open. Most safe companies won't warranty flood damage anyway, so get to destroying that safe, because the flood waters have ruined any fireproofing anyway.

Top Bottom