Florida Concealed Carry

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • cavebankraider

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 7, 2008
    Denham Springs
    Well first let me say hello, I have been lurking for a few weeks. I Have been thinking about getting my concealed carry license for a while. Last week I got a call from a friend saying he and a group of co-workers were taking the class, and had an open spot. I jumped on the opportunity. I have learned however that the instructor is encouraging them to apply for a florida license. Is this something that is common among license holders. I know the permit is valid for a longer period of time, but I would like to get some input from you guys. Thanks for any information.

Cave

CajunTim

Premium CoonAss Member
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Oct 19, 2006
    Mandeville, LA
    The Florida non-resident license in the future might possibly no longer be recognized/acceptable in Louisiana. If you have the class and everything already done in La why not just get one here in La?

Welcome to the site.

henry

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 13, 2008
    Central Louisiana
    Florida Permit

A while back, I knew of several people that were going to get the Florida permit because it was recognised by more states,...Several went as far as to get the permit forms. As far as I know, only one person actually did it.
    Just the other day, I heard that if you are a Louisiana resident, you MUST have a Louisiana CCW to carry concealed in Louisiana.
    If this is true, that pretty much eliminates the need for the Florida permit.

bayouthunder

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 26, 2008
    River Ridge,La.
    As a Louisiana ccw instuctor. The Louisiana law says to carry concealed in the state of Louisiana, as a resident of Louisiana you must have a Louisiana permit, not a Florida non-resident. If you are and La. resident you can only carry a concealed weapon only with an La. permit only, who every the other instuctor was need to check the laws for concealed carry. He sould know better.

LouisianaCarry

Tactibilly
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 14, 2007
    Keithville
    Ok, incorrect info is flying again.

You may be a LA resident with a non-res permit from a State whose permits LA recognizes. The only conflict with LA law is that if you have been DENIED a LA permit, or had one revoked, then you may not carry with a non-res permit. If you have not been denied or revoked, there is no issue.

LA gets you more States than FL- years ago this was not the case, but it is true now.

Certificate is good for one year.

Last edited:

SeventhSon

Evil Conservative
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 30, 2008
    Slidell
    Bad info abounds. You can indeed carry with a FL. non-resident permit even if you are a LA resident. I have my FL permit and have had it for years. I have checked and double checked with LA State Police and several instructors.

LouisianaCarry

Tactibilly
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 14, 2007
    Keithville
    As a Louisiana ccw instuctor. The Louisiana law says to carry concealed in the state of Louisiana, as a resident of Louisiana you must have a Louisiana permit, not a Florida non-resident. If you are and La. resident you can only carry a concealed weapon only with an La. permit only, who every the other instuctor was need to check the laws for concealed carry. He sould know better.

With all due respect, especially if you are an instructor- please stop teaching incorrect info. We all make mistakes, and I imagine someone you trust told you this info, but please stop teaching this.

gbundersea

Just my 2¢
    Rating - 100%
    34   0   0
    Jun 4, 2007
    Walker, LA
    I hold a FL permit, which I indeed got instead of LA because at the time, the FL permit was recognized by many more states, and mainly because the LA permit wasn't recognized by MS or AL. So, when traveling to FL, I'd be illegal in those 2 states in-between, and would have to obey their state laws which applied to in-car carry. No thanks!

Also, the LA permit is $100 for three 4 years, while the FL permit was $117 for four 5 years. Now, it's an even better deal, as the FL permit is good for SEVEN YEARS and the fees haven't changed!

Mine is up for renewal in Febrary, and you can best believe I'm renewing. Cost of renewal is $107.00, and my renewed license will be valid 7 years!

When money permits, I intend to get my LA permit too. I figure the more credentials I have, the harder it will be to lose them all.

THANK YOU LACARRY AND OTHERS for clearing up the misinformation on this thread! FL nonresident permits are indeed good in LA.

Last edited:

spanky

Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    141   0   0
    Sep 12, 2006
    Gonzales, LA

Funny. The couple police I've shown mine to didn't think that.

spanky

Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    141   0   0
    Sep 12, 2006
    Gonzales, LA
    I hold a FL permit, which I indeed got instead of LA because at the time, the FL permit was recognized by many more states, and mainly because the LA permit wasn't recognized by MS or AL. So, when traveling to FL, I'd be illegal in those 2 states in-between, and would have to obey their state laws which applied to in-car carry. No thanks!

Also, I believe the LA permit was (maybe still is?) $100 for 3 years, while the FL permit was $117 for 4 years. Now, it's an even better deal, as the FL permit is good for SEVEN YEARS and the fees haven't changed!

Mine is up for renewal in Febrary, and you can best believe I'm renewing. Cost of renewal is $107.00, and my renewed license will be valid 7 years!

When money permits, I intend to get my LA permit too. I figure the more credentials I have, the harder it will be to lose them all.

THANK YOU LACARRY for clearing up the misinformation on this thread! FL nonresident permits are indeed good in LA.

LA is 4 years.

gbundersea

Just my 2¢
    Rating - 100%
    34   0   0
    Jun 4, 2007
    Walker, LA
    LA is 4 years.
    Thanks! I recall that at the time I got mine (2004) FL gave 1 additional year for only $17.00 more than LA. (Plus it was honored in many more places than LA.) I incorrectly thought it was 4 versus 3 years, but your post (and my checking my CWL) confirm that it was 5 versus 4.

As of June 2008, the FL permit is 7 years, still at a cost of $117.00.

Note: While the FL permit is a concealed WEAPONS permit, LA holders must obey LA law when in LA, which provides for the concealment of handguns, not other weapons. In FL, I can conceal any weapon which the permit allows. In general, any holder of a non-resident permit must obey the CC laws of whatever state they happen to be in at the time.

Last edited:

flamatrix99

Rating - 100%
    62   0   0
    Oct 7, 2008
    Zachary, La
    Anyone know how long the certificate is good for? I might send off for a LA one if it is still good and don't have to retake the class.

I took my class yesterday. You can apply for an La permit within 12 months of taking the class. La is good for either 2 years ($50) or 4 years ($100) plus you will have to pay an extra $50 if you have not lived continuously in La for the last 15 years. Might as well get the 4 years permit.

Nolacopusmc

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Oct 22, 2008
    New Orleans, LA

Can you please post where this is written in either LA Revised Statutes or the LA CHP rulebook? Thanks

flamatrix99

Rating - 100%
    62   0   0
    Oct 7, 2008
    Zachary, La
    Can you please post where this is written in either LA Revised Statutes or the LA CHP rulebook? Thanks

Only thing I could find is what LA Carry was saying about if you have been denied a permit in LA.

From the good (blue) book:

"(2) A nonresident concealed handgun permit issued by another state is invalid in the state of Louisiana if issued to an individual who is a resident of this state has been denied a handgun permit or has been issued a handgun permit which is under revocation or suspension."

Top Bottom