Fn-fal?

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • BRLAShooter

Smart @$$ Extraordinaire
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 4, 2009
    Baton Rouge, LA
    So, I've decided I want to build my first rifle, and I was looking at the AR-15, but I'm now leaning towards the FN-FAL. Where can I find a kit for the FAL?

Any Advice from anyone out there?

Oh, and I'd like it chambered in .308, I think.

Edit:
    Sorry if it's in the wrong section, Mods, please relocate.

Last edited:

beauxdog

Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Sep 18, 2007
    Baton Rouge
    Go back to the AR-platform. There is so much more you can do with one. There is nothing wrong with and FN-FAL (own one), but you can do a whole lot more with an AR and the information for them is everywhere. Parts are everywhere and there are so many makers of quality parts. Put it this way Brownells has a catalog just for AR parts and equipment. There are other catalogs for AR parts but none for FALs.

Beauxdog :)

BRLAShooter

Smart @$$ Extraordinaire
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 4, 2009
    Baton Rouge, LA
    Go back to the AR-platform. There is so much more you can do with one. There is nothing wrong with and FN-FAL (own one), but you can do a whole lot more with an AR and the information for them is everywhere. Parts are everywhere and there are so many makers of quality parts. Put it this way Brownells has a catalog just for AR parts and equipment. There are other catalogs for AR parts but none for FALs.

Beauxdog :)

Ideally, I'd like both, lol, so we'll just see how it plays out. I also have no idea what to buy? Do I buy complete Uppers and Lowers and just customize it later? Do I buy the most/least expensive. This is gonna be my first rifle, so I dunno what I'm looking at/for.

kd5hlx

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 6, 2009
    Gray, La.
    In a parts kit the only thing missing is the receiver. But I agree with beauxdog, more options on the AR platform. The FN-FAL is a 7.62 Main Battle Rifle. There is alot of info on it out there, but the options for the platform are limited.

BRLAShooter

Smart @$$ Extraordinaire
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 4, 2009
    Baton Rouge, LA
    Oh, yeah, I completely agree, options abound with the AR.

Now, what is the difference between the Upper and Lower receiver? Do I need to buy both of them to make a full receiver?

kd5hlx

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 6, 2009
    Gray, La.
    yup gotta have both. FFL required for the lower receiver, but not the upper, or is it the other way around. There was another post with a link for a complete AR for around $650.00

WHEELER

Don't Tread on Me
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Nov 28, 2008
    on the AR the lower is the FFL item.. on the FAL the upper is the FFL item. You need an upper & lower on both systems.

Both systems will take some special tools to assemble, and the FAL is a bit more challenging as headspace needs to be checked.

eganx

Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Jul 22, 2008
    was Monroe LA, now Kingston WA
    I recently built my first FAL. went together like legos. no problems what so ever. there are people on this board who have the tools and know-how that will help you build your FAL. I LOVE mine, and am planning on building a second. get in on them while you still can, they will never be any cheaper than they are now...

Top Bottom