For the panic buyers: How much ammo is enough

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • parallel

Often Beside Himself
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    LaPlace, Louisiana
    I've never had too much ammo..
    This... I'd like to buy more even though I'm at about 20,000 rounds total of practice ammo in 9mm, .40S&W, .45ACP, .223/5.56, 7.62x39 and 12 gauge 00Buck. I haven't because I can't justify the cost at the moment. What I have decided is to replace what I shoot when I can find it at relatively reasonable prices instead of waiting to buy in bulk like I used to do. When things simmer back down I'll probably try to double my stash.

Last edited:

gabesurface

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Oct 25, 2012
    Baton Rouge, LA
    I'd like to have a lot more than I have but I have enough 9mm to keep all my 8 mags full just in case. I have plenty of .22 thanks to some bs members. Although I'm fairly new to the field- as long as I feel I have enough to be safe in my home, I'm alright for now.

parallel

Often Beside Himself
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    LaPlace, Louisiana
    I'd like to have a lot more than I have but I have enough 9mm to keep all my 8 mags full just in case. I have plenty of .22 thanks to some bs members. Although I'm fairly new to the field- as long as I feel I have enough to be safe in my home, I'm alright for now.
    Do you have practice (FMJ) ammo in your mags for defensive purposes? If so, I'd highly recommend that you obtain some quality defensive ammo. Get enough that you can test fire a mag or two in your gun so that you know it will feed well.

gabesurface

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Oct 25, 2012
    Baton Rouge, LA
    Thanks all for the input. I wasn't sure if this was unusual buying as a panic or really a manifestation of standard buying practices just slightly compressed. It seems most people aren't panic buying, just purposely looking and buying when they can.

As I've just started collecting ammo, I'm at 200 rounds each on 9mm and 40. However, I expect to be adding to that as the days and paychecks come by. I still don't plan to pay more than reasonable prices, i.e. no 2x or 3x what it's normally worth, and I have time on my side I think, generally speaking. I am actually trying to explain the value of reloading to my wife, but she's been exposed to the firearms scene a bit on the quick side so she needs time to digest all this before I spring any more on her.

I was actually thinking somewhere between 2k and 5k would been enough, but now I'm not sure. Hmm, time to put the thinking cap back on.

:beer:

Do you have practice (FMJ) ammo in your mags for defensive purposes? If so, I'd highly recommend that you obtain some quality defensive ammo. Get enough that you can test fire a mag or two in your gun so that you know it will feed well.

Great advice parallel. I meant to mention that and didn't. First two mags are loaded with jhp and the rest are fmj. You're right though, make sure you have enough to spend a day or two at the range working with whatever you have so that you're comfortable shooting with what is loaded. Can't protect yourself with something that won't feed.

returningliberty

Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Nov 8, 2009
    Hammond, LA
    Again why I am so glad I reload and have plenty to keep me reloading for a while.

I thought that too until primes became as scarce as white rino's and conservatives in congress.

To answer the OP's question, in the "you only really own whatever you can pick up and run away with" sense, 1k rounds is probably too much. For me, I feel good with 1k 5.56. I shoot my .40 a lot though, and I don't care how much nice factory ammo I have for that, I was caught with my pants down as far as reloading supplies go, and my 2500 primers with 3k on backorder (expected delivery: Ragnarok) is really freaking me out.

Gator 45/70

Rating - 100%
    31   0   0
    I'm with you on that, Plus being able to cast my own help's plenty !!

Again why I am so glad I reload and have plenty to keep me reloading for a while.

Attachments

• boolits 11-6-12 039 (800x600).jpg
      boolits 11-6-12 039 (800x600).jpg
      88.4 KB · Views: 76
    • ballast 002 (800x600).jpg
      ballast 002 (800x600).jpg
      69.7 KB · Views: 76

josh62685

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 14, 2012
    houma, la
    I'm not a panic buyer. If I see value packs in stock I'll buy a couple. Only because I like to replace what I shoot. I keep a small tool box full of 12g, .380 & 9mm. I had this before the panic and its enough for me..... for now lol
    2013-01-26_07-39-15_908.jpg

NOLASHOOTER

Rating - 100%
    55   0   0
    Jul 9, 2010
    New Orleans
    I have about 1K for each caliber of gun I own. If an average range trip consumes about 200-500 of each caliber then I really don't have much at all. I would have felt comfortable with 5K to 10K but I did not have the time or money to get there. Wanted to start reloading but now I may have missed the boat on that.
    I went to Academy yesterday and it felt so idiotic buying 1 box of 5.56. If I could find a chance to buy a 2500 can of .22lr I would be happy. At least I could go shoot and not have to worry about ammo depletion. If I have to wait it out on my other calibers or look for reloading components for them I would be fine. So, in my opinion 5k would make me comfortable. And, I don't really want to pay these outrageous prices. I have been close on a couple of deals that have popped up on ammo and actually got some deals on magazines so it can happen. I just would like to find a place that will take a backorder for some bulk .22 and I will just wait it out. If manufacturers are not ramping up production then they are just dumb.
    On a side note, it is cracking me up to see some of the ammo for sale on here. I really like the nasty old boxes that people are pulling out of the depths of the closets. I think one ad even called it vintage. I really want to jump on some 40 year old ammo for triple it's price. Who wouldn't trust their life to a beaten up box of ammo?

thatguy

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jun 17, 2011
    Franklinton, La
    I felt like an ass buying cases of 5.56 for $350 in 2008.....now i sit and look at the pile of cases and smile. Maybe things will get bad enough that those paying 1k will feel good one day.

kcinnick

Training Ferrous Metal
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Dec 24, 2008
    Baton Rouge
    I have about 1K for each caliber of gun I own. If an average range trip consumes about 200-500 of each caliber then I really don't have much at all. I would have felt comfortable with 5K to 10K but I did not have the time or money to get there. Wanted to start reloading but now I may have missed the boat on that.
    I went to Academy yesterday and it felt so idiotic buying 1 box of 5.56. If I could find a chance to buy a 2500 can of .22lr I would be happy. At least I could go shoot and not have to worry about ammo depletion. If I have to wait it out on my other calibers or look for reloading components for them I would be fine. So, in my opinion 5k would make me comfortable. And, I don't really want to pay these outrageous prices. I have been close on a couple of deals that have popped up on ammo and actually got some deals on magazines so it can happen. I just would like to find a place that will take a backorder for some bulk .22 and I will just wait it out. If manufacturers are not ramping up production then they are just dumb.
    On a side note, it is cracking me up to see some of the ammo for sale on here. I really like the nasty old boxes that people are pulling out of the depths of the closets. I think one ad even called it vintage. I really want to jump on some 40 year old ammo for triple it's price. Who wouldn't trust their life to a beaten up box of ammo?

Back order some .22LR if you want it. Brownells and Sportsmans guide have been taking back orders.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    kjstang02
    Top Bottom