For you Offshsore Fishing guys.......

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • themcfarland

tactical hangover
    Rating - 100%
    58   0   0
    Dec 6, 2008
    Destrehan
    If you want an Epirb, you want one that you can register new, and sometimes they require you to register a vessle, not sure if that would work for guys who change platforms.. They do work..
    some activate by water or manual plus water..

BigNick73

Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Sep 21, 2008
    Brandon, MS
    2 rescued from capsized boat....being a marsh guy I never heard of a EPIRB before but if I went offshore I might want one..

http://wtkr.com/2015/03/09/coast-guard-helicopter-from-elizabeth-city-rescues-two-from-sinking-boat/

They're not terribly expensive, I have a Fast Find 220 I picked up for around $200 a few years ago. Search for PLB rather than epirb and you'll find the more personal ones geared towards hikers and the like, which can be a pretty big price difference. Also watch out, some of those like the "Spot" are satellite deals that have a monthly fee, but can let you send messages from almost anywhere, they're kind of a satellite phone/pager deal from what I can tell. I just wanted a regular one that send a signal out on the 406mhz in case I broke a leg or something while out fishing, so got the 220 since it was cheap and waterproof.

Registration is with NOAA and free, you have to update every couple of years and they send you a sticker to put on the beacon. All they ask for is name, address, phone, emergency contact, and what the primary use (hunting, fishing, aircraft, etc...)

themcfarland

tactical hangover
    Rating - 100%
    58   0   0
    Dec 6, 2008
    Destrehan
    They're not terribly expensive, I have a Fast Find 220 I picked up for around $200 a few years ago. Search for PLB rather than epirb and you'll find the more personal ones geared towards hikers and the like, which can be a pretty big price difference. Also watch out, some of those like the "Spot" are satellite deals that have a monthly fee, but can let you send messages from almost anywhere, they're kind of a satellite phone/pager deal from what I can tell. I just wanted a regular one that send a signal out on the 406mhz in case I broke a leg or something while out fishing, so got the 220 since it was cheap and waterproof.

Registration is with NOAA and free, you have to update every couple of years and they send you a sticker to put on the beacon. All they ask for is name, address, phone, emergency contact, and what the primary use (hunting, fishing, aircraft, etc...)

Good info, thanks

BOSS351

CZech It Out
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    62   0   0
    Dec 13, 2008
    Prairieville
    Thank all of you for sharing your thoughts on these devices. I may look into getting a PLB myself just in case....you never know what might happen or when. Never really considered getting one before but if I"m on someone elses boat going out I can tote one along with me.

Coastie Paul

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 29, 2009
    Slidell, LA
    They'll work for hunters/land dwellers, too. Like someone said before: gear like the "SPOT" have a middle man provider involved but come with different capabilities. A personal or vessel EPIRB will get you found fast- takes the search out of search and rescue.

Top Bottom