Forgot headphones and went to the gym anyway

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • headshot

Mentally Hilarious
    Rating - 94.1%
    16   1   0
    Apr 3, 2010
    Gonzales LA
    What a treat this was. I left my headphones at the house for the first time in probably 2 yrs. I got to admit it was kinda wierd but what the hell, I'll just work out anyways. To far to turn around and get them now. Let me tell you.... The headphones blairing in your ears really help a person zone out and focus on what you went there to do. I have never heard so much grunting, screaming, and just down right hollaring in my entire life. Does all this foolishness really help a person lift a weight?

AustinBR

Make your own luck
    Staff member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 22, 2012
    What a treat this was. I left my headphones at the house for the first time in probably 2 yrs. I got to admit it was kinda wierd but what the hell, I'll just work out anyways. To far to turn around and get them now. Let me tell you.... The headphones blairing in your ears really help a person zone out and focus on what you went there to do. I have never heard so much grunting, screaming, and just down right hollaring in my entire life. Does all this foolishness really help a person lift a weight?

Funny that you mention that. I actually never workout with headphones. I say that, but 99% of the time I workout, it is at home, but on the rare occasion that I hit up the LSU UREC I don't use headphones. I just don't like headphones on or in my ears. Maybe I am weird?

Hattrick 22

Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 13, 2011
    Kenner, Louisiana
    I use them every time I go. I started because of the guys that lift weights too heavy for them then slam them on the ground... Maybe it's a male ego thing that I just can't grasp.

The first couple of times I thought someone might be hurt then they would flex in the mirror while I shook my head..

Sully

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 1, 2012
    Sulphur
    I have a pair of Motorola Bluetooth headphones I use when running.

JR1572

Do they work well? Looking for a pair to remove stuffing wires through shirt to my iPhone on my arm...saw quite few at the RR marathon in NO a couple of weeks ago and it piqued my interest.

Music is a must at the gym for me...

JR1572

Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    58   0   0
    Nov 30, 2008
    Madisonville, LA
    Do they work well? Looking for a pair to remove stuffing wires through shirt to my iPhone on my arm...saw quite few at the RR marathon in NO a couple of weeks ago and it piqued my interest.

Music is a must at the gym for me...

Yes. Mine are 5 years old and they work like a charm.

JR1572

DoubleJ

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 21, 2013
    New Iberia,LA
    I'm with you..used to work out a gym nearby and also wore headphone..Forgot them a few times and the conversation going on was enough to drive me crazy...
    Advocating roids to young kids, 16-17 year old girl problems, and other junk I rather not have to hear about when I'm trying to workout haha...
    I got a few free weights, a mat, etc. and just workout at home now, I'm a runner first and foremost so most lifting I do can easily be done at home. Plus picked up everything I need for less than what the gym cost for 3 months anyway...

Last edited:

JWG223

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Aug 16, 2011
    Shreveport
    I go to a "soccer mom" gym (what I call any gym with carpet and no vomit buckets and no deadlift platform) and my main reason for the ear buds is to drown out the "Easy Listening" they play.

RedStickChick

-Global Mod-
    Premium Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 6, 2012
    Baton Rouge
    I'm not going to lie, when I worked out at a normal gym back in the day I always needed headphones. I was at the point of keeping a pair in my car, purse, backpack etc.

I don't use them now because they'd just get in the way and the music where I workout is legit.

madwabbit

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 2, 2013
    Lafayette, LA
    i've got to have headphones. When I say "got to", I have 2 spare cheap sets in the glove box and I've even turned around to get my favorite pair from home on repeated occasions.

it drowns out all the stupid broscience from young gearheads, the horrible music on the gym PA, and the whining of the new years resolutioners. It also presents an image of "im not here to talk, leave me alone"

in short- it keeps me focused.

Ironman26

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 18, 2010
    Patterson, La
    No self motivational skills....What ever happened to mentally psyching yourself up and just getting it done !! All mental dude...all mental !!

225todd

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 6, 2011
    Shreveport, LA
    I wear them only cause I don't want to be bothered while there.

+1

The last time I forgot my headphones I left halfway through my workout because I couldn't even concentrate with people trying to talk to me while I'm in the middle of a set. I'm not actually anti-social, but when I'm working out I like to be in the right mindset.

olivs260

Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Sep 23, 2009
    Geismar, LA
    +1

The last time I forgot my headphones I left halfway through my workout because I couldn't even concentrate with people trying to talk to me while I'm in the middle of a set. I'm not actually anti-social, but when I'm working out I like to be in the right mindset.

I'm the same way. I have a buddy who seems like he goes to the gym to socialize. The few times I've worked out with him, I could usually get through 2-3 sets before he was done chatting and actually got something done. I don't get it :dunno:

doc ace

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 14, 2012
    Pineville/Deville
    Expelling of carbon dioxide is very important to weightlifters. Never hold your oxygen to complete a lift. Expel the waste in your body (CO2) (exhale) on the lift in a controlled manner, and inhale on the rest. This will result in better sets as well as have your body operating at peak O2 and minimal cO2 levels. Some people go all male silverback gorilla on a lift. Some exhale quietly. I feel it depends on how heavy and strenuous the workout is. I guarantee you the workout room for the New Orleans Saints isn't silent. Try it out on your final reps, it will help. A quick google search will reveal that this isn't douchebaggery (well, sometimes it is) and alot of times assisting the weightlifter in their technique. Also consider the headphone scenario and a nice quiet exhale of air to you could sound like a primal grunt to those around you not wearing the headphones.

- - - Updated - - -

Holding in your air can also result in passing out or blacking out in front of everyone as well. Breathe in on the rest and out on the lift, repeat 12-15 times!

headshot

Mentally Hilarious
    Rating - 94.1%
    16   1   0
    Apr 3, 2010
    Gonzales LA
    Even on the heaviest of heavy days I can exhale without sounding like someone is cutting my legs off. Lol. I just forgot how loud and obtrusive some people can be. Even a cheap pair of buds drown that mess out

general mills

Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 1, 2010
    Denham Springs (BR,Hammond area)
    Expelling of carbon dioxide is very important to weightlifters. Never hold your oxygen to complete a lift. Expel the waste in your body (CO2) (exhale) on the lift in a controlled manner, and inhale on the rest. This will result in better sets as well as have your body operating at peak O2 and minimal cO2 levels. Some people go all male silverback gorilla on a lift. Some exhale quietly. I feel it depends on how heavy and strenuous the workout is. I guarantee you the workout room for the New Orleans Saints isn't silent. Try it out on your final reps, it will help. A quick google search will reveal that this isn't douchebaggery (well, sometimes it is) and alot of times assisting the weightlifter in their technique. Also consider the headphone scenario and a nice quiet exhale of air to you could sound like a primal grunt to those around you not wearing the headphones.

- - - Updated - - -

Holding in your air can also result in passing out or blacking out in front of everyone as well. Breathe in on the rest and out on the lift, repeat 12-15 times!

100% correct. I defiantly use breathing to help me lift, and that breathing is louder than me just sitting hear typing on the computer. I think the big complaint is the guys who give the loud swarzeneger like "NNNAAAAAAAAAAAAA!!!!, UH Uh Uh NAAAAAAAAAAAA!". I go to the YMCA, and not many people like that there, but sometimes one comes in. The other week, there was a guy you would yell "GODAMMIT, UHHHHHHHHHHHH!" right before his lift, and it was rather annoying. Not to mention creepy.

Top Bottom