Fracking Risk?

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Cochise

is not here
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 19, 2012
    Calhoun
    Maybe we want to be the last ones to have it.

We should, don't you think? We do have a "large amount" of oil in the ground, but we use so much that, if we didn't source any from overseas, we would run out completely in 20-40 years, depending on whose estimate you believe. The people we have to buy oil from overseas are a pita to deal with, but we can still get it today. Who knows if we will have the option of buying foreign oil in 20 years. We need to keep what we have while we have options, as insurance against the day we run out of other options, imo.

SpeedRacer

Rating - 100%
    92   0   0
    Feb 23, 2007
    Mandeville, LA
    I don't know what the hell the solution is, but I know when the thing you're doing causes freakin' earthquakes it's time to start looking at alternatives.

I don't think we'll ever see green energy. Even with the most hippie-ass administration in White House history, they've done nothing but give friends billions and accomplish nothing. Solyndra anyone?

DAVE_M

_________
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Apr 17, 2009
    ________
    I would love to see solid evidence that fracking is the sole cause of an earthquake.
    Do I care if they start fracking near my home? Yes, but not because of earthquakes or water pollution.

Jack

Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Dec 9, 2010
    Covington
    I would love to see solid evidence that fracking is the sole cause of an earthquake.
    Do I care if they start fracking near my home? Yes, but not because of earthquakes or water pollution.

Were earthquakes happening regularly in OK before extensive fracking?

- - - Updated - - -

Most of the majors run about 4 cents profit per gallon. Taxes are north of 50 cents.

Source?

SpeedRacer

Rating - 100%
    92   0   0
    Feb 23, 2007
    Mandeville, LA
    Try living without oil, natural gas or things made from petroleum porducts.

I get that. It's just funny because a month ago it was "fracking is safe you guys are idiots" and now it's "yeah it may not be safe but so what you need oil!"

And no one is saying we could live without all, that's a silly argument. My question is are we in such desperate need of it that doing risky things to get it is necessary? I'm 100% certain there are ways to cut down our petroleum consumption as a nation.

DAVE_M

_________
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Apr 17, 2009
    ________
    I get that. It's just funny because a month ago it was "fracking is safe you guys are idiots" and now it's "yeah it may not be safe but so what you need oil!"

And no one is saying we could live without all, that's a silly argument. My question is are we in such desperate need of it that doing risky things to get it is necessary? I'm 100% certain there are ways to cut down our petroleum consumption as a nation.

My only argument is this:
    Whether fracking is good or bad, I don't care. What I do care about, is that someone is going to start altering the environment, for profits, near my home. Profits that I will never see. I am in no way, shape, or form, part of the efforts that will go into fracking near my home. So for me to be "for it" would be silly.

I will add, to go along with your quote, that we all depend on oil. There may be ways to cut back on consumption, but it will not last. I will also add, that as my occupation consists of working in the petrochemical industry, business is'a boomin' regardless of gasoline prices.

some_goat

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 17, 2009
    Baker/Central area
    Isn't there an oil boom going on in the Dakotas. If I'm not mistaken I think a lot of it is fracking. And I haven't heard anything about earthquake s up there. I've seen 2 documentaries on the subject. Gasland and Fracknation. This is a hot topic and there will be links scientific proofs and discoveries to both pros and cons on this sudject. The only thing I want to know is this. How long till my energy bill and price of gas goes down.

Emperor

Seriously Misunderstood!
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 7, 2011
    Nether region
    Then why are you posting in a thread about fracking in Oklahoma? Did you read the article in the first post?

Now! Now! Understanding the thread point or argument has never been a pre-requisite for opining here. :p

Now what I, as the ultimate consumer, wants to know; is where the hell is my share of that giant oil deposit they found in Australia? I have a gas guzzling truck I need to keep full and a penchant for driving a lot with no particular reason to do so.

AK shooter

Redneck with a gun!
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Apr 12, 2008
    Raceland

I said it was safe a month ago and still believe it is. My job and our society is dependent on oil. If green energy sources could produce electricity and cut our petroleum uses by 50% that would be great but the technology is not there. Some people think electric cars are reducing petroleum use but its not.

freedive10

-Global Mod-, Caballoloco
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Sep 17, 2008
    Mandeville
    While the company expects to hear a decision from the Department on Natural Resources regarding moving past the first step in the drilling process, unitization approval, the parish lawsuit filed against the state agency, in an attempt to stop the project, is moving forward.

A status conference in this case is scheduled for the end of next month and a tentative hearing date is set for October.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Donut Man
    Top Bottom