Free float tube suggestions

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Pas Tout La

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 12, 2012
    Droite La
    16in_midlength_premium.jpg

I have a PSA 16' midlengthupper on my AR (pictured above), but with a Magpul MOE hangaurd. I have been thinking about putting a free float tube on it. I don't want quad-rails because I simply do not need them. I would like to be able to put rail sections where I need them; basically for a VFG and a light. What are some decent handgaurds out there to look at? I am not looking to spend $300 on a tube though. Also, what would be the process of installing the free float tube? Do I have to chop the FSB or change to a low pro gas block? And how do I remove the delta ring in order to put the tube on? Any advice on either a nice handgaurd or how to install it would be appreciated. Thanks!

GunRelated

Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Feb 22, 2012
    Walker, La
    Bigsupplyshop.com

Search for troy alpha. They are the cheapest I have found on these rails, and the Troy Alpha rails are one of my favorite choices, especially for the $.

Dishonored

Hunter
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Oct 27, 2012
    Prairieville
    Midwest industries gen2 SS free float.
    I went with the 10" and I really like it so far.
    Right now they have a special introductory pricing of $156.00

SpeedRacer

Rating - 100%
    92   0   0
    Feb 23, 2007
    Mandeville, LA
    13" Troy Alpha or Troy VTAC Alpha. You have to shave the FSB and remove the delta ring. I prefer to just cut the delta ring off with the trusty ol' Dremel, much quicker/easier and after having several in a drawer for years I realized there's no real point in saving them.

GunRelated

Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Feb 22, 2012
    Walker, La
    Since I am too lazy to look it up at this time, what is the weight difference between the Alpha rails and the SS? I am fairly sure the Alpha is lighter, but not sure by how much.

kengel2

Rabble Rabble
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Jul 14, 2008
    Bedico
    Ill vote for midwest as well. I got a gas block from Mickey that was missing the set screws. I emailed midwest and told them I didnt buy it, but I would like to buy the set screws for it. They me the set screws and roll pin for the gas tube without even blinking. I emailed them friday and got the stuff yesterday. Put my upper together today. I have purchased a few items from them before, but never mentioned it in the emails. Midwest is good to go for me.

Pas Tout La

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 12, 2012
    Droite La
    I'm really liking the Midwest and Troy tubes. The JP is a little more than I'm willing to spend. If I shave my FSB will the existing gas block be too big for the tube to fit? I'm thinking the tube is too narrow to go over the gas block.

SpeedRacer

Rating - 100%
    92   0   0
    Feb 23, 2007
    Mandeville, LA
    I'm really liking the Midwest and Troy tubes. The JP is a little more than I'm willing to spend. If I shave my FSB will the existing gas block be too big for the tube to fit? I'm thinking the tube is too narrow to go over the gas block.

No you keep grinding until it fits. A well shaved FSB will actually be lower profile than most off the shelf low profile gas blocks.

Here's a well done one...
    fcteet.jpg

jdindadell

Not Banned!!!
    Rating - 100%
    267   0   1
    Feb 14, 2010
    Slidell
    Well done? Was it done in the dark...

HAHAHAHA

Anyways, I have a few different float tubes, troy alpha, samson evo, vtac (basically a troy with different slots) and a noveske keymod.

I go between the samson evo and the troy alpha as favorites. The samson uses a stock nut with the d-ring removed. The troy has its own nut. Both weigh about the same, I think the smamson looks cooler. You can usually find the troy rails for sale used for around 100 bucks, but those prices on bigshopsupply sure are tempting. I have bought from them before and they are gtg.

I always remove the barrel, as I have the tools and smarts to do it right. And i hate cutting stuff off guns with a dremel. I do agree that a cut down fsb is likely the best way to go, as it will be held on with taper pins, not setscrews as most low profile gas blocks are held on. Now you can pin a low pro on as well so I guess that would be the best of both worlds.

I make small flats on the barrel for the set screws to contact with, and use loctite on the journal and on the set screws. Just make sure you align the gas ports and keep the loctite away from them.

Planning to buy a JP for the ar10 I just got. Not as many options for 308 ar rifles.

Top Bottom