Frog Lube

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • skyracer

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 30, 2012
    Has anyone found that Froglube made a difference in the functioning of their semi-automatic pistols?

CatCam

Ready, Shoot, Aim!
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 20, 2013
    Not really - I think IMHO it is overpriced lube. For my Colt M4 I use Mobil 1 Synthetic Motor Oil - $6 for a quart! A lot cheaper than the frog oil stuff. I figure if it can protect the internals of my Corvette engine it should have no problem with my semi-auto!

Vanilla Gorilla

The Gringo Pistolero
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Feb 22, 2008
    Froglube is better than Mobil1 in the regard that its non toxic. Shoot alot and breathe those fumes and you can have some long term health issues.

JBP55

La. CHP Instructor #409
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    338   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Walker
    Being a Senior Citizen six to eight drops of oil from a needle oiler is not a real concern to me after working with oil, grease, chemicals, for more than 50 years. We did not know these chemicals were harmful years ago and would wash tools with our hands daily in a bucket of MEK or other toxic chemical. I think there is more of a health risk from shooting lead bullets and breathing the fumes than using Mobil 1.
    Weapon Shield products work and are non toxic if you do not want to use Mobile 1 or Dextron ATF.

CatCam

Ready, Shoot, Aim!
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 20, 2013
    Froglube is better than Mobil1 in the regard that its non toxic. Shoot alot and breathe those fumes and you can have some long term health issues.

If that is the case I'm probably gonna croak next week driving behind the idiot burning so much oil it looked like the mosquito control truck. And for what it's worth, it had a brand spanking new Louisiana State Inspection Sticker (or as the room temperature IQ folks call it a Brake Tag) on it's windshield. What a joke this state is when it comes to vehicle inspections.....but that is fodder for another epistle.

SpeedRacer

Rating - 100%
    92   0   0
    Feb 23, 2007
    Mandeville, LA
    Has anyone found that Froglube made a difference in the functioning of their semi-automatic pistols?

A properly lubed gun will function the same regardless of what lube is used. As long as you avoid cheap oils that will seep out/burn off (Rem Oil, etc) you'll be fine. Mobil 1 is a good cheap alternative and I used it for years as my primary lubricant. One quart will likely keep your whole collection running for a lifetime.

That said, Frog Lube does have some benefits. It is non-toxic, smells good (no complaining wife while you clean guns), and stays put after application. I got tired of pulling guns out of the safe only to find the internals dry and the buttstock covered in oil. Frog Lube stays in a paste-like state until it's heated by the first shot, then liquifies and acts as a normal lube. I've also found it's much easier to clean my guns after the FL application.

But no, it won't fix any problems or make the gun run "better". It's just a different means to the same end as any other lube. It does cost substantially more, but I personally find the addes benefits worth it.

djdig

F@ck Me Right?
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Jul 10, 2013
    Thibodaux, La
    On every rifle, handgun, shotgun, i heat all the metal parts (minus weak springs, etc..) with a wagner heat gun till they are close to 200F and apply a generous layer of froglube and let it sit for 15 minutes, then wipe clean with micro fiber cloth and repeat once more. After a month I do the same thing, and they are well seasoned, it is just like seasoning a cast iron pot, same principle. I have a 1970 remington 1100 I do this to, and brand new handguns, the guns bead water and repel most of the normal grime and filth.

It also brings out the metal's true coloring (bluing,etc..) in my opinion. Never hit the woods for hunting season without all of my guns froglubed, also I only apply light coat of Slick2000 after to the key components, no gun I have on hand, in storage, or being used is "wet".

I also make sure to clean every part with (acid) brush and 91% alcohol or the frog lube cleaner before doing anything with the frog lube (green) or oil, making sure the parts are 100% free of dirt,filth,grime,etc.. (whatever you want to call it) makes it easier for everything else to work properly.

Cajun Chooter

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 18, 2011
    So Louisiana
    I think Frog lube is a bunch of hooie... I bought some tried it on my Glock 19.. after 100 rds my gun was dry as a bone.. I think its over priced junk.. but it does smell DIFFERENT from oil

Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Jun 24, 2009
    Pineville/Alexandria
    I've used the Rem Oil, LPS and such for almost half a century with nary a problem. But, I am open to new ideas and will probably try the Mobil I if no one chimes in with real negatives.

jvr

Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Dec 29, 2013
    new orleans
    Imo they all work relatively well (as pointed out by hdfinder47). I like slick 2000 and have moved to synthetic motor oil. cheaper and also provides a long lasting film on the working parts (like slick). I still use clp on external surfaces of my blued guns. Honestly i used to spit in my m16 to keep it running on long training exercises (blanks are hell on gumming up the works). A good spit would run quite a few mags.

buy some and give us a report on what you think.

Top Bottom