Front bead removal

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Cajun_Chuck

Premium Certified Cajun
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Hi guys,

I was curious if removing the front bead on a shotgun required a special wrench or tool? This is for the Maverick88...I am sure it is the same as the Mossberg 500, threaded 5-40. The stock bead has a small nut, it is smaller than a 4mm socket.

Do I have to make a special trip to Lowe's or is there a gun smithing kit I need to acquire. I do not want to break it off in the barrel. I have never tried to modify any shotguns before and just want to make sure that this one is "better" for my wife *cough*and me...*cough*

Thanks in advance for any help. I can take some pretty close up pics if needed.

aroundlsu

Bayou Photo Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Dec 21, 2007
    Baton Rouge
    Just unscrew it.

My story, my front bead on my 500 broke just before the Awerbuck 3-day shotgun class. I completed the entire course just using the broken screw on the end of the barrel to aim. :D

Tell me where/if you found a new bead. I haven't been able to find one yet to replace it.

Cajun_Chuck

Premium Certified Cajun
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Ohhhhh...man, that thing must be made of soap!!!

Tiny needle nose pulled all kind of gold flakes on the end, just when I went to apply some pressure to bite down on it to twist. I attempted to stabilize my hand and the tool and it did the same thing the second time, but with a little scratch to the barrel.

The small crescent wrench did a fine job of striping two sides of the tiny nut part at the bottom of the bb..it added to the scratches on the barrel.

I stopped for some guidance. Here are some pics...lol. Fock! :(

100_2067.jpg

100_2069.jpg

rockmup

Please be my friend
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   0
    Apr 21, 2007
    City of Central
    Why is there no tape on that barrel ? your fawked.
    Take the barrel off send it to me at your expense.
    Go buy a new one and we'll be good to go

Cajun_Chuck

Premium Certified Cajun
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    AHH-HAA!! Well, I did a number on the bead...it is still intact mind you, but had to get some serious bite on it to twist it off and that was after I took the butt end of a screwdriver and popped the bead a couple times.

Tape?! Bah! I am sure that this sucker will have plenty scratches on it before it is all said and done. Amy whopped it twice on the lane bench when we first brought it out the other day. I was like...oh come on?!? She said...you act like its a 1000 dollar gun. She had a good point. :rolleyes: Anywaaayyyyyyssss

Sorry Rockmup...I was gonna send it to you, but I figured I would give it one more try..and wha-la! Heh! ;)

100_2083.jpg

100_2086.jpg

100_2090.jpg

Cheapy upgrade (8 bucks), but it is MUCH brighter & quicker to put on target for an inexperience shotgun user.

artabr

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 24, 2008
    New Iberia , Louisiana
    Just unscrew it.

My story, my front bead on my 500 broke just before the Awerbuck 3-day shotgun class. I completed the entire course just using the broken screw on the end of the barrel to aim. :D

Tell me where/if you found a new bead. I haven't been able to find one yet to replace it.

Try Brownells, most of their beads & front sights are 3-56 or 6-48 but there are a couple with 5-40 threads.

http://www.brownells.com

Art

Cajun_Chuck

Premium Certified Cajun
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Just unscrew it.

If you want the stock BB 5-40, just PM me your snailer. I will mail it to you. It will have some groves and is not perfect anymore, due to the fact that I had to rough it up a bit, but if ya want it..lemme know. I can snap a few pics and e-mail it to ya.

-Chuck

Candyman

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 15, 2008
    Denham Springs
    Just unscrew it.

Try Reynerson's Gunsmithing Service at 10044 Hoopre Rd PH # (225) 261-4860
    They might even put it on your gun while you wait.

headspace

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Feb 9, 2009
    Hammond
    Just unscrew it.

i order parts directly from mossberg and they are very reasonable, even the shipping. the only problem i ever had was them not wanting to sell me a safety (top tang) for a 500 and i wound up finding a 10 pack on sportsman's guide. otherwise the last thing i ordered was an extractor for a 20 ga and it cost me like 4.50 or so.

Top Bottom