Fuel mileage- whatcha got, whatcha get

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • JWG223

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Aug 16, 2011
    Shreveport
    VW's have always been some of the best daily drivers for me. Always a good time behind the wheel
    R32's have a big following. I never got why, but they are very popular. Is it quality, particular style ques people like, cost vs. Utility?

my-rifle

I make my own guns.
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Dec 12, 2007
    Jefferson Parish
    You averaged over 122 MPH for 4.5 hours?

I was an emotional wreck at the end of it. Keyed up like nobody's business. I smoked three packs of cigarettes on the road and about three more when I reached Austin. For about a week I kept reliving scenarios in which my life ended violently. I'll never do that again.

edman87k5

Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Oct 22, 2007
    Ventress, LA
    Dang, I think the fastest I ever averaged on a trip was 105 for 4 hours. It was in a mitsubishi truck, so thats like 200mph in an average car.

Other points to note from previous posts:
    Buying a new car would not work unless it got 100mpg, the car has to more than pay for itself in fuel savings. Even a $15 used car doesnt pan out in the long run unless you are putting several thousand miles a week on it. I say this because I see the VW diesels being mentioned. They are pricey to buy and if you ever have issues, you will go broke fixing them as maintenance and repair costs are ridiculous.
    Here is my simple math: I paid 3500 for my civic. ONLY driving it back and forth to work, it saves me around 200 a month (I drive it 90% of the time now though, and the 200 is compared to driving my f250) Insurance on it is $120 every 6 months and maintenance and repair costs are very cheap on it. So it saves me at least 150+ every month and no wear on my truck. If I paid $10-15k for a used vdub and still had the huge repair bill lingering over my head all the time, I might as well drive my f250 or jeep everyday.
    Previous vehicles that filled this spot (all bought for cash and carry liability only- similar insurance cost to the civic)- 98 ranger 22mpg, 96 ranger 27mpg, 91 camaro 27mpg (and insurance was $72 for 6 months go figure), 01 corolla 31 mpg, and a couple others I cant think of at the moment. After driving these for some amount of time I either broke even or made money on the sale and was not putting more miles on which ever 3/4 ton truck I had at the moment.
    The tiny little fiat 500 is only advertized to get up to 38mpg, WTF? Similar for the mini cooper and you cant buy those cheap used either.

Quickdraw22

I SPEAK DA THUGG!1!
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Oct 18, 2007
    Sulphur, Louisiana
    this might be of interest to you. its sexy AND a hybrid

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Toyota_FT-HS

If I hadn't gotten such a good deal on the Prius, I wouldn't own it. Once this thing explodes or gets stolen, I'll buy a Passat TDI.

Hybrid technology is complete **** IMO. Gas mileage = aerodynamics + anemic motor + a lack of weight. It's what the Europeans have been doing for decades while we've been driving around in tanks.

oldman45

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 22, 2010
    northwest LA
    1996 Chevy 3500 crew cab. 454 Vortec. 8mpg with tailgate up on hwy. 12 mpg with tailgate off on hwy.

2000 Buick LeSabre 24mpg in town 28 on hwy

VeedUp

Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    54   0   0
    Oct 15, 2007
    Destrehan, La.
    I've had 4 VW's and never had any outrageous maintenance cost, changed all the fluids and filters my self with basic tools and then changed the timing belt, water pump, and seals on two others at 80k and one at 110k. The TDI bug my aunt put over 220k on it with nothing done but required maintenance.

erazir

Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Dec 30, 2010
    Baton Rouge, La.
    I dont know if anyone else has posted it, but you might also want to consider the winn dixie fule perks program. You get $$$ off gas at Shell for every dollar you spend in WD. I filled up the tank on our minivan yesterday for $1.50 a gallon. Its a Honda Odyssey and gets about 26 miles to the gallon. I know this isnt great, but when you have 5 kids a vehicle that size is a sanity saver....LOL

Scott.Thornton

Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jan 23, 2012
    Denham Area
    1999 k1500 suburban. 3.73 gears turning 32's or there about, I manage 14 on the highway and 12 in town. The 14 was pulling a medium sized popup camper and I don't put it on the road unless I'm pulling something so no idea about empty mileage.

edman87k5

Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Oct 22, 2007
    Ventress, LA
    On the winn dixie, my wife tried to get me to do that. The math didnt work out. Spend several hundred in groceries to save $20 at the pump of an overpriced station. No shell station in my town, the one is zachary is 15-20 cents higher than the other place down the road and winn dixie's food prices are waaaaay higher than even my crappy local grocery store.
    Oh, filled the civic up today= 42.6 mpg

erazir

Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Dec 30, 2010
    Baton Rouge, La.
    That's strange. The WD on old Hammond/flannery is very competitive. Also you get double points on some items. Also I won the Saints VIP tailgating package from them...:). So I guess I'm a lil biased, LOL.
    My other car is a Mercedes Benz CLK500 cabriolet. It get 26-28 on the highway and 20ish in the city.

CaptainMorgan

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 25, 2011
    baton rouge
    2013 silverado. According to the dash 16.8 on average in the 1700 miles its got on it. Thats mostly city.
    1990 v8 s10 blazer. Not much lol, it was 17mpg on the highway before a gear change, so id guess 15 highway, 12/13 city

edman87k5

Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Oct 22, 2007
    Ventress, LA
    That's strange. The WD on old Hammond/flannery is very competitive. Also you get double points on some items. Also I won the Saints VIP tailgating package from them...:). So I guess I'm a lil biased, LOL.
    My other car is a Mercedes Benz CLK500 cabriolet. It get 26-28 on the highway and 20ish in the city.

They do have some decent sales, but everything else I priced was more than walmart. There is one in new roads, last time i went was a few months back - wife wa spicking up some cakes for school. Their plain gorund beef was 1.50 per pound more than my local grocery store, ribeyes were right at $4 per pound more. Poweraide about a quarter more, etc Doesnt sound like a whole lot, but it was averaging 20-30% more.

erazir

Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Dec 30, 2010
    Baton Rouge, La.
    I'm wedged in between a WD, target and a Walmart. They have to be competitive. The shell next to the WD shut down which sucks, but their are others. Gas is around $2.90 a gallon by my house. We were able to fill the minivan for around $30 this week with WD points. That will last us over a week. Plus we got the food for the 3 lil ones, the wife and I and our two ferocious guard dogs (chihuahua and minpin, rescue dogs), so it works out pretty good.

Top Bottom