Full Auto Ammo? Lower Power?

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Hitman

® ™
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Sep 4, 2008
    Lake Charles
    Huh?

Co-worker pointed this out saying he'd never heard of such. Neither have I.

Apparently this guy(Pro-Gun) is attempting to make a point about the difference between M16's and AR-15's.

Paraphrase;
    He says M16's are Full Auto
    and that the cartridge for those Full Auto's had to be tuned down by 50%
    b/c firing a Full Powered Cartridge on Full Auto would beat the heck out of you with recoil.

....Mkay....

So anyone ever see any 'Full Auto Ammo' or 'Low powered 5.56' for this purpose?

Libs repeat what they hear us say b/c I found an NYtime article repeating
    that the difference between an AR15 and an M16 is Full Auto or not.

Here's the Vid. Statement starts @ 1:11

My point in this topic is that it seems very important that when we get someone to speak on our behalf(Pro-RTKBA)
    they MUST know what they are talking about.

/

Last edited:

Emperor

Seriously Misunderstood!
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 7, 2011
    Nether region
    Wouldn't a combat veteran with experience with full auto's know that? I mean, is the ammo they used in the battlefield different than what they see now stateside?

Just curious!

Quickdraw22

I SPEAK DA THUGG!1!
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Oct 18, 2007
    Sulphur, Louisiana
    The only full auto ammo I've ever seen is subgun specific. And it was much hotter and not meant for pistols.

X2

I remember seeing 9mm +P+ Hirtenberger that was meant for subguns, but never reduced loads. I've shot commercially available ammo through a FA M16, and it didn't disintegrate my shoulder...

flemgunner

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 24, 2008
    lafayette
    Yeah Ive never heard of that in 14yrs mil and 6yrs working on/building them. There has been a couple things, as been stated, for subguns. But thats all I know about. I think dude is talking out his ass

sgt z

Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    Hammond, LA
    I think the ammo is the same as stated in every training manual I have ever seen regardless of auto, 3-round burst or semi. There was never any discussion before live fire training as to the correct flavor of ammo in M249 or M16. Never heard of this for 7.62X51 or 30-06 or 5.56 only as mentioned previously submachinegun ammo being hotter. Guidebook for Marines 14th rev.ed., 4th printing, 1 July 1984, Chapter 17, M16-A1, p228, muzzle velocity 3,250 fps (approx.), nowhere does the guidebook specify to change ammunition for automatic fire.

scout019

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 8, 2013
    Praireville
    My input

Wouldn't a combat veteran with experience with full auto's know that? I mean, is the ammo they used in the battlefield different than what they see now stateside?

Just curious!

I am one of many on these forums that meets the military criteria. 21 years several deployments and experience both behind the weapons, and on the logistics side requisitioning the ammo. I have not seen any difference. The stock numbers are the same, from the same manufacturers, same milspec, same, same, same. Spec ops does some different things, but that is not really what is being asked. For the most part military ammo is ammo no matter what continent you are on.

Helmsman

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 5, 2013
    West Monroe
    I've shot a full auto M16 in IDF, same standard ammo, nothing unusual or unexpected. Same for AK(7.62x39) in Soviet army.

Last edited:

Helmsman

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 5, 2013
    West Monroe
    Well, it depends. In fact, nothing fancy, transport aircraft avionics technician at Anadyr(Ugolnye Kopy) AFB and some reserve duties in rescue forces in IDF (trained to rescue people from ruined buildings) and once guarded a prison with some really bad guys inside :)

Sigforty

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 20, 2007
    Only ammo I know of that has to be watched for a service rifle is 30-06. The M1 garand will bend rods if the pressure is too high, but that is not even a full auto gun.

Wayne88

Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 23, 2013
    Baton Rouge, LA
    Ridiculous. The NATO 5.56×45mm 62*gr. M855 rounds, currently in use by all service branches, are fielded for the M16/A2-A4, M4 ( both utilize 3-round burst ) and the M249 SAW (full auto). Exception being CAG/ Tier 1/ JSOC cool guys...they use the M855 as well as other rounds with a hotter load or varied load to accommodate a short barrel M4.
    I couldn't agree more... We are in dire need of a true SME to speak on our behalf.

Wayne88

Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 23, 2013
    Baton Rouge, LA

Just curious!

The 5.56×45mm 62*gr. M855 round is commercially available for civilian purchase. And yes a combat arms, combat veteran, would and should know. However, "combat veteran", is a very vague and non-descript title. Combat veteran doesn't necessarily equate kinetic exchange experience or weapons and ammo knowledge. I have yet to meet a finance or admin solider with much knowledge regarding weapons or ammunition. Not knocking their duty position/ MOS by any means.

Hitman

® ™
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Sep 4, 2008
    Lake Charles
    Guys before you get too serious, this question/topic was more/less rhetorical.

I can see I've been gone too long if this is being taken too serious.

Note my *point* underneath the video ;)

general mills

Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 1, 2010
    Denham Springs (BR,Hammond area)
    well, (joking) lets not be to hasty and look at the pluses here. Now if they believe this, they will finally see a difference in military weapons and so called "assault rifles", and the beauty is, they will think full auto weapons are half power. I think we could work this to our advantage. They push their agenda with ignorance and lies, perhaps it's time we used the same so called "logic" and "common sense"! (joking)

mpl006

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 4, 2011
    Ruston
    Maybe I'm wrong but to me it came across that he was saying that all 5.56 ammo is under powered stemming from needing to be for the M16, and not that there is special M16 half power loads. Now, I'm not saying that this is correct, just what I hear him saying. I'm not sure who this guy is but the way he says "we had to" tune it down sounds like he may have been apart of the discussion?

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 15, 2013
    Slidell, la
    The only ammo I know to be "hotter" (higher burn rate) is 7.62x51 made to shoot through a GAU-17 mini-gun. Never heard of such a thing for 5.56, nor do I understand the logic behind the argument.

Top Bottom