Funny thing happened yesterday.....

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Status
    Not open for further replies.

general mills

Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 1, 2010
    Denham Springs (BR,Hammond area)
    Even if he did say it without the intent of it being humorous, he was asked by the driver where and what he likes to eat around Lafayette. He may have intentionally inserted the pork products served into the conversation, but do you believe he should have intentionally left out of the conversation the pork products he enjoys out of fear of disrespecting the man's religion? I just don't know where some would draw the line. Like I said, I probably wouldnt have pointed out strictly pork products (even though I think it is funny) but I wouldn't have intentionally left it out either.

It depends on the intent. I wouldn't likely leave something out of a conversation out of "fear" of disrespecting someone, but I wouldn't add something for the intentional purpose of disrespecting him either. In this case, he answered the driver with where he likes to eat. He could have even mentioned he loves the pork chops, they are soooo good. But to continuously list all the pork products with the intent of making the stranger uncomfortable is where I would draw the line. It seems rude to me. This has nothing to do with color or religion to me, just common courtesy. I also don't talk about my favorite ways to copulate in front of strange women because it would make them feel uncomfortable and make me look like a creep. Same concept to me.

Saintsfan6

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Oct 6, 2014
    Texas
    It depends on the intent. I wouldn't likely leave something out of a conversation out of "fear" of disrespecting someone, but I wouldn't add something for the intentional purpose of disrespecting him either. In this case, he answered the driver with where he likes to eat. He could have even mentioned he loves the pork chops, they are soooo good. But to continuously list all the pork products with the intent of making the stranger uncomfortable is where I would draw the line. It seems rude to me. This has nothing to do with color or religion to me, just common courtesy. I also don't talk about my favorite ways to copulate in front of strange women because it would make them feel uncomfortable and make me look like a creep. Same concept to me.

I totally get it, and I've already said I wouldn't intentionally try to make it all about pork unless I felt comfortable joking about it. But for someone to act like I am without morals because I don't know exactly how others feel about the topic is a little "holier than thou" IMO. I know I would have said it differently, but I wouldn't have made it a point to avoid saying "pork" altogether.

Rm105629

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 28, 2011
    Houston
    I think the moral of this thread is: don't intentionally be a dick to others.

Also, goat marsala is pretty damn delicious. The guy was tryin to do you a favor.

Saintsfan6

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Oct 6, 2014
    Texas
    I think the moral of this thread is: don't intentionally be a dick to others.

Also, goat marsala is pretty damn delicious. The guy was tryin to do you a favor.

I agree with you there! Maybe he was trying to be a dick, I was leaning toward he was trying to kid around with the guy and the other guy didn't go for it. I do not advocate antagonizing people of different faiths spitefully, but I don't believe it should be something you can't joke about either. This particular situation? It probably would have been better if he wouldn't have brought up pork with a Muslim in the van... I still think it was funny though. Racist? Antagonizing? Inappropriate? YES! but still funny...

Barry J

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 5, 2011
    Thibodaux
    He was intentionally antagonizing the guy. "Pork" jambalaya, "pork" sausage, death grip on my piece, "Habib", and then coming on here to brag about it. Never heard anyone describes jambalaya as "pork" and sausage as "pork"?

Saintsfan6

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Oct 6, 2014
    Texas
    How else do you distinguish between beef, chicken, and pork sausage then? I say that just because I usually clarify what kind of sausage, but maybe thats just me and the people I know. Im not trying to be a smart ass seriously, I genuinely clarify what kind of sausage and ask if someone that doesn't. I may be the exception.

Barry J

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 5, 2011
    Thibodaux
    If I was at a butcher shop, I would specify which sausage I wanted. If I am at a cajun restaurant or bbq joint, I just ask for sausage.

Jack

Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Dec 9, 2010
    Covington
    I totally get it, and I've already said I wouldn't intentionally try to make it all about pork unless I felt comfortable joking about it. But for someone to act like I am without morals because I don't know exactly how others feel about the topic is a little "holier than thou" IMO. I know I would have said it differently, but I wouldn't have made it a point to avoid saying "pork" altogether.

Who is doing that and in what post?

Vermiform

Free Candy!
    Gold Member
    Marketplace Mod
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Sep 18, 2006
    Shreveport - or therebouts
    Without missing a beat I start talking about the pork jambalaya, pork sausage, stuffed pork chops........and the conversation from the front passenger seat got ghostly quiet.
    This was mean spirited, boorish and not very funny. No points awarded.

At least he didn't ask the guy if he screwed the goat before he ate it.
    This was mean spirited, witty and hysterical. 4 out of 5 possible points awarded.

deuxlatch

Airbus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 3, 2011
    Lafayette, La/Houston Tx.
    Deuxlatch, seriously man....if you ever find yourself in Hammond, you should let me buy you a beer. And a pulled pork sammich!
    Well done man, well done.
    Magdump, I sure appreciate the offer and would love to visit my old haunts from my SLU days, but I don't drink anymore. Besides, I wouldn't want to offend any Muslims or Mormons or anyone in the area who doesn't drink. But I would definitely take you up on that pulled pork sammich, a man's gotta eat, right?

I_FLY_LOW

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 15, 2007
    Gonzales
    train-wreck-o_zps26a90404.gif

323MAR

Silver Member
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 15, 2014
    New Oeleans LA
    Magdump, I sure appreciate the offer and would love to visit my old haunts from my SLU days, but I don't drink anymore. Besides, I wouldn't want to offend any Muslims or Mormons or anyone in the area who doesn't drink. But I would definitely take you up on that pulled pork sammich, a man's gotta eat, right?

Can you explain what the man did to offend you in the first place?
    Why did you insult someone who made you feel threatened enough to put your hand on your weapon?

JHenley17

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 21, 2013
    Prairieville
    Can you explain what the man did to offend you in the first place?
    Why did you insult someone who made you feel threatened enough to put your hand on your weapon?
    He didn't insult the guy, he just felt like talking about his favorite pork dishes for no other reason.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom