G-damned commercial strings

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Kraut

LEO
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Oct 3, 2007
    Slidell, LA
    RANT: WTF is with the same damned commercial two and three times during one commercial break?!?! I don't need to be told three F'ing times during one break that the new Assassin's Creed video game is coming soon! I F'ing hate that kind of crap!

I'm not much for gov't over-regulating that kind of stuff, but I'd sure love to see the networks do a little self-policing and limit the advertisers to once per break. Enough already.

kcinnick

Training Ferrous Metal
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Dec 24, 2008
    Baton Rouge
    I just FF through commercials, I hate watching TV live. The only thing I watch live is Football, and I usually jump on the internet during breaks to check out other games.

S&W4ME

I'm kind of a big deal
    Rating - 100%
    62   0   0
    Sep 7, 2009
    Walker, LA
    NO WAY ASSASSIN'S CREED IS COMING OUT!!!!!!!! :eek3:

Just kidding. I know exactly what your talking about. Anytime I have a day off during the week I can guarantee each commercial break will include something from a personal injury lawyer, a debt consolidation firm, or how the government will give me a free cell phone.

Of course judging by the targeted audience who is normally watching tv during the middle of a work day I understand why.

Safari

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 4, 2007
    RANT: WTF is with the same damned commercial two and three times during one commercial break?!?! I don't need to be told three F'ing times during one break that the new Assassin's Creed video game is coming soon! I F'ing hate that kind of crap!

I'm not much for gov't over-regulating that kind of stuff, but I'd sure love to see the networks do a little self-policing and limit the advertisers to once per break. Enough already.

What network was this on ?

Kraut

LEO
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Oct 3, 2007
    Slidell, LA
    What network was this on ?

Last night it was while watching South Park episodes on Comedy Central, but it just aggravates the crap out of me in general as it's not localized to one channel. I just can't see the reason for repeating the same f'ing commercial two and three times in the same break with only one other commercial between airings. That's just as stupid as having the damn station logo constantly superimposed in the bottom corner of the screen, or extending station/show advertising onto the bottom of the screen over what you're watching, even if it's something that has subtitles that get covered.

sraacke

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    St. Gabriel
    The only thing I watch on live/regular TV is the 10pm local newscast when I'm getting up and dressed for work. Other than that it's HULU or other online options.

dtd80

Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Nov 21, 2009
    Abbeville, Louisiana
    I feel your pain. THe advertising industry is painfully annoying. Good thing I don't watch much television anymore. I usually watch my news and shows online. Same thing goes with radio. Couldn't stand the 5 minute commercial breaks so I just opted for satellite radio. Best thing EVER! Will NEVER go back to regular radio stations!

bs875

Rating - 100%
    232   0   0
    Mar 14, 2009
    Baton Rouge
    Advertisers pay for X number of spots and stations have Y number of spots to use. If they don't get enough unique advertisers to fill those Y spots then they repeat commercials from advertisers they do have. It's very annoying.

Nail Gun

Blissfully Ignorant
    Rating - 97.4%
    38   1   0
    Aug 18, 2010
    Slidell
    It's a tactic to reinforce what you're seeing. If you see it once your brain is likely to flush it as soon as it's over. If you see it 2 or 3 times it has a better chance of hitting your long-term memory.

honestlou

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 17, 2009
    Baton Rouge
    Get a receiver with DVR-- cable or satellite. Easy to use, record shows, or just pause live shows for phone calls or bathroom or snack breaks. Repeat scenes that you want to see again or when you didn't understand or hear something that was said. Watch a 30 minute show in 20-something minutes. You don't have to record it- just pause it and start watching 8 or 10 minutes in.

It is a quality of life issue-- seriously.

XD-GEM

XD-GEM
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jun 8, 2008
    New Orleans
    Some advertisers will buy 30 seconds of air time and then run the same 10 second commercial 3 times in a row in that 30 second time slot.

Safari

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 4, 2007
    Last night it was while watching South Park episodes on Comedy Central, but it just aggravates the crap out of me in general as it's not localized to one channel. I just can't see the reason for repeating the same f'ing commercial two and three times in the same break with only one other commercial between airings. That's just as stupid as having the damn station logo constantly superimposed in the bottom corner of the screen, or extending station/show advertising onto the bottom of the screen over what you're watching, even if it's something that has subtitles that get covered.

So screwed.
    This is why the DVR was invented.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Television_advertisement

Advertisements take airtime away from programs. Commercial breaks have also become longer. In the 1960s a typical hour-long American show would run for 51 minutes excluding advertisements. Today, a similar program would only be 42 minutes long; a typical 30-minute block of time now includes 22 minutes [6] of programming with six minutes of national advertising and two minutes of local. Some networks even use a 18 minutes of show/12 minutes of commercial split.[7] A television broadcast of the 101-minute film The Wizard of Oz (1939) for instance, could, in the early to mid-1960s, take two hours even with commercials. Today, a telecast of the same film would last approximately two hours and 15 minutes including commercials.

Found this about Kid shows.
    http://www.broadcastingcable.com/article/452259-FCC_Issues_Fines_to_Stations_Violating_Limits_on_Commercials_in_Kids_Shows.php

Here are the rules.
    http://www.fcc.gov/mb/facts/csgen.html

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    djrara323
    Top Bottom