Game Warden's power????

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • charlie12

Not a Fed.
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 21, 2008
    Pride
    I copied this from another thread so it wouldn't get too far of topic.

"Wildlife agents have more power and jurisdiction than any other state or federal law enforcement agency. Some will debate this, but they do not need search warrants for a lot of stuff that others do need them for."

Ok I've heard people say this for many years but I want to see it in writing. How can a possum cop have more power than any other LEO Stat or Fed?
    I just don't believe it. I believe the jurisdiction part because they are State not local.

Ok who can answer it?

Bayoupiper

New Curmudgeon
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 28, 2008
    Iowa, LA
    Most State LEOs are in "specialized" (for lack of a better word) enforcement fields.
    And each field has unique laws and so powers given to it's agents/officers.

dmiculek

Rating - 100%
    34   0   0
    Oct 1, 2006
    Gramercy
    A warden or any other law enforcement officer can stop a water craft at any time to conduct a boating safety check w/o probable cause. He can ask you to present PFD's, and other required safety equipment. He can not search your vessel to find it w/o permission. Once the vessel is stopped and other "evidence" is visible it can be used to instigate an investigation. (for example I stop you for a boat safety check and I observe blood and feathers on an ice chest lid). I know have PC to further an investigation.

Wildlife Agents must have a warrant to conduct searches just like any other LEO.

Manimal

Get'n Duffy!
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    May 27, 2007
    Louisiana
    A warden or any other law enforcement officer can stop a water craft at any time to conduct a boating safety check w/o probable cause. He can ask you to present PFD's, and other required safety equipment. He can not search your vessel to find it w/o permission. Once the vessel is stopped and other "evidence" is visible it can be used to instigate an investigation. (for example I stop you for a boat safety check and I observe blood and feathers on an ice chest lid). I know have PC to further an investigation.

Wildlife Agents must have a warrant to conduct searches just like any other LEO.

Ahh, thank you :)

CajunTim

Premium CoonAss Member
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Oct 19, 2006
    Mandeville, LA
    Can a local LEO walk on my property and into my backyard through my gate based on suspicion even if I tell him there is no one back there an no you cant go there? Can a game warden?

tunatuk

Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jun 30, 2007
    Ascension Parish
    Can a local LEO walk on my property and into my backyard through my gate based on suspicion even if I tell him there is no one back there an no you cant go there? Can a game warden?

Yes I can. If I have suspicious that something is going on, I just walk right back there and investigate. If we went off of everyone's word, all murderer's would be innocent, nobody would ever be selling dope, and rape victims all consented.

talkinggoat

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 20, 2009

Nolacopusmc

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Oct 22, 2008
    New Orleans, LA

Yep, they cannot enter your home unless there is a warrant, and a few other exceptions like, hot pursuit, plain view, distress.

talkinggoat

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 20, 2009
    Quite correct... If he can SEE you're growing pot in your backyard or you left your crack pipe sitting out on your front seat, he doesn't need a warrant. :p

Top Bottom