Garage door repair

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • CharleyR1

Nitrous is fun
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 26, 2014
    Metairie, Louisiana
    Does anyone happen to know of a reputable company that do garage door repair? I need new springs, cables, wheels, and electric control box. Basically everything except the track and door itself.

general mills

Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 1, 2010
    Denham Springs (BR,Hammond area)
    I was a door man for a couple years. If you choose to do the repair yourself, be very aware of what you are doing with the springs under tension. They can seriously mess you up. Not sure how prices are now (been 15 or so years) but you may find a new door and opener deal not much more than getting wheels, cables, springs, and an opener. Labor can eat you up. Are your cables broken? Be sure to look at the drums as well, sometimes they can chip in the spot that holds the cables, and it sucks to realize that when you are half through with the repair!

general mills

Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 1, 2010
    Denham Springs (BR,Hammond area)
    Also, save the broken end of the spring!!! (the end with the set screws on it). It works great to rewind a cable if the door goes off track for some reason later. Just put it on the outside length of the torsion bar after the end bearing plate, and you have an easy way to get slack on the cables right near the drum without having to release all the spring tension. Just be sure to clamp some vise grips on the other cable to keep some weight on them when the slack is applied so it also stays on the drum, then push up to get slack and rewind the cable. Having that end for a tool will really speed things up and save some headache!

CharleyR1

Nitrous is fun
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 26, 2014
    Metairie, Louisiana
    I'm in Laplace. the door is also off track for sure. One cable is broken. I tried to fix it myself being a motorcycle/car mechanic on my days off but my vise grip slipped tightening the spring to tension and almost took my arm off. So after that I'm leaving it to the professionals.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom