Getting a new bed

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • blackboltss

Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jul 5, 2010
    Slidell
    Its time for a new bed! Not looking to spend more than 1300 on the mattress and frame. We have the furniture picked out already. We laid on a Ellis Bay by Ashley and it was pretty nice and within the price range. Tempurpedic was really nice but I cant justify spending $8000 on a mattress. I wanted to stick with some type of memory foam. So what do y'all recommend ?

BigNick73

Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Sep 21, 2008
    Brandon, MS
    For memory foam I have a king size from bed in a box . com and have been happy with it. No where near the cost of temperpedic 3 years ago haven't looked recently. Also have a queen that I just bought for the guest room paid 500 for the set at the local furniture store and it sleeps fine. Wish I could recall the brand name but can't at the moment.

Sent from my C771 using Tapatalk 2

CEHollier

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Dec 29, 2007
    Prairieville
    It is hard for me to suggest something for you in that price range. I have a Stearns & Foster and it is one of the most amazing mattresses I have ever slept on.

This is what I have and again, it is a dream to sleep on. http://www.stearnsandfoster.com/Mattress-Brands/Stearns-and-Foster/Lux-Estate.aspx

They have a step down which is still very nice for pretty close to your price range.

+1 on the Stearns & Foster. We love ours. And it is in your price range. Especially if you hunt for a sale.

PrairieCajun

Ima let dat pass dis time
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 4, 2010
    B.R.(da hood), LA
    Before you decide to completely replace your old mattress, you should look at Bergad memory foam mattress topper in 4in or so. I have one on each of the beds in our place and Im going to order one for the guest bed at the inlaws for when we stay there. Excellent quality for the price and been on the same one for our kingsize for 5-6 years with no sign of breakdown. If you order, you will want to let it air out in a spare room for a couple of days as the initial out of the box smell is strong. It dissipates quickly and goes away completely.http://www.isoform.com/

Crimson

Hk convert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Nov 19, 2010
    Monroe, La
    Look at mattresses by Therapedic mattresses most of them will be in your budget. They are made in alabama have a 10 year non-prorated warranty which means that for ten years they will replace the mattress with no out of pocket cost to you during the duration of the warranty or at their discretion if they do not make one similar refund the purchase price less the tax even up to ten years later. They don't hassle you or make it difficult. They are in the top ten in the nation.

Some interesting points to look for in a mattress

1. Is the warranty non-prorated
    2. Are the edges foam encased
    (foam encased simply means that the edges are reinforced)
    3. If the mattress contains memory foam is it cool elastic memory foam, or regular memory foam. Memory foam by design holds heat, several companies are now offering a new version that feels the same but dissipates the heat that normally builds up, this is called cool elastic memory foam.
    4. A good alternative to memory foam is latex, considering your not allergic and can usually be had for a much better price. Most latex's are synthetic there are a few companies who make true latex and they usually acquire it from Goodyear as it is a bi-product of making most tires.
    5. Is the mattress individually pocketed coils or not. Individually pocketed coils all rest in their own pocket as the name states. Unlike a typical innerspring mattress the coils of an individually pocketed coil mattress are able to flex individual of each other allowing better support, while relieving pressure points in the areas that need it. In comparison, a typical innerspring mattress which will flex coils in pressure areas allowing other coils around it in which you may need support. Overall an individually pocketed coil will allow you to get in to a deeper sleep quicker and you will wake up with more energy and may not even need as much sleep.
    6. Mattresses now have the option of anti-microbial fabrics. You live in Louisiana whether allergies really effect you or not, there is always dust an pollen in the air and your mattress collects that, an anti-microbial fabric is a great barrier to dust.
    7. A lot of people still refer to a foundation as a box spring. With today's technology a box spring is no longer needed for a mattress infact you will be hard pressed to find a box with springs in it. Today the box is nothing more than a wooden foundation that supports the mattress in key areas to increase the service life of the mattress.
    8. As your looking for a new mattress the best thing to do is narrow it down to about three mattresses and as awkward as it may feel, while in the store lay on it for about 15 minutes and after you've done that with all your top choices the one that was the most comfortable to you will be the one that your body can adjust to the quickest and begin providing the best night sleep on.
    9. Always remember that just because a mattress feels better than yours does not mean your getting what's right for you. Look at your options don't just by the first one you come to.
    10. Every salesperson you talk to works on commission and there time is valuable. If you are in a store and you have a good salesperson and you find a deal elsewhere always give that person a chance to price match, especially if the deal was found online.
    11. Some sales people will tell you anything to get you to buy a mattress. The number one thing I've seen sales people avoid are the stipulations of a warranty. Most manufacturers require that you have the proper box or foundation for the mattress you are buying. If there is a stain on the mattress anywhere the warranty is most likely voided. If a sales person doesn't tell you a mattress is non-prorated it most likely is prorated and they don't want to mention it. With a prorated warranty every year you own the mattress, you will have to put more money with it to get a new mattress if you make a warranty claim.

Just keep in mind no matter what find the mattress that is the most comfortable to you, and remember even if a local business can't price match to a online price, it's most likely because they haven't bought as many in bulk, they have hire overhead and cost a lot to run a business. Support your local businesses as much as possible or they may not be there next time you need them.

And yes I have worked in the furniture business for the last two years. I worked with a liquidation company and have closed down quite a few stores becaus they couldn't compeet with online companies. I have traveled the united states seen hundreds of brands of furniture, know what to look for when it comes to quality of you or anyone on this board have any other questions feel free to pm me.

I tried to catch any grammatical errors but I am using tapatalk and may not have caught them all so please just ignore them.

Last edited:

my-rifle

I make my own guns.
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Dec 12, 2007
    Jefferson Parish
    We got one of the expensive models that felt great in the store. My wife (who has a ruptured disk in her back) even slept on one in the store just to be sure she liked it. We got it home, and after two nights I moved back to my old $400 mattress. That new one has memory foam and is too hot to sleep on. It makes me wake up with back pain. What's worse is you pretty much can't return them. I will NEVER again spend more than $600 on a mattress. That high end mattress industry is a major nut-drill.

Crimson

Hk convert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Nov 19, 2010
    Monroe, La
    The high end mattresses are nice it's just getting the right one for you. Memory foam is odd because the initial comfort is great, but for some people after it contours to your body is extremely uncomfortable. In the store you won't feel the heat. The top layers are able to breath and won't hold the heat. After sheets are put on its a different story and the mattresses works like an oven fueled by body heat. The cool elastic memory foam, works different because the air pockets have been engineered to be larger and in most cases an octagon shape for whatever reason that shape dissipates air better.

If your looking for a high end mattress king coil, and Simmons own the market as far as choices and quality. Simmons has more high end mattresses with different coil tensions and options on pillow tips, euro tips, firm soft everything. Very nice mattresses your going to pay heavily for them but they are hard to beat.

The sleep number mattresses are the biggest scam I've ever heard of as well all they are is an extremely nice version of an air mattress after. While the mattress will no longer hold the number you set it to and you will wake up with it deflated and not on the same psi (number) you set it on. There are some models made to compensate for this now and automatically pump more air but they cost twice as much and all your getting is a air mattress with a pillow top, and a quiet automatic compressor. If electricity goes good luck getting. Goodnight sleep unless you pay extra for the compressor with a backup power source.

thatwhichisnt

Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Aug 26, 2009
    Baton Rouge
    Buy once, cry once applies to this. A bed is the most important piece of furniture in your house...

besides everything in the man cave/gun room of course.

Last edited:

Russo

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jun 9, 2008
    Raceland,LA
    i have a Stearns and Foster, i think it was $3k new... after sleeping on it for a few years, i certainly wouldn't buy another $600 mattress from Sam's again..

Crimson

Hk convert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Nov 19, 2010
    Monroe, La
    Stearns and Foster mattresses are extremely nice but depending on where you live usually hard to find in this economy if you live in big city it shouldn't be an issue, in a smaller town good luck store owners are starting to carry cheaper stuff because the expensive isn't selling.

If you buy a innerspring mattress with a good warranty be sure to know the stipulations up front, when it begins to dip have it replaced.

my-rifle

I make my own guns.
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Dec 12, 2007
    Jefferson Parish
    The big problem with the high-end mattresses is you really have no idea whether you're actually going to like it, and perhaps aside from Therapedic (above) it's virtually impossible to return a bed if you don't like it. You're basically taking a $1.5K gamble.

Crimson

Hk convert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Nov 19, 2010
    Monroe, La
    That is true it makes it hard to know what to buy, it's like someone buying their first gun or someone buying a gun who doesn't research and read. they just take the advice of the guy behind the counter and go by what feels comfortable, but it may not be right for them once they shoot it. A mattress can be the same way do your research read reviews about the company, try out all the models, one mattress that may not be comfortable when you sit on it or initially lay may be more comfortable after you lay there a few minutes compared to one that has more initial comfort. Another thing to remember is to ask for pillows and lay in the position you typically sleep all of that factors in to your overall sleep. In general a firmer mattress is better for your back. Ask if the mattress has been chiropractor approved. All major manufactures put their mattresses through a series of test and have different approvals. Watch for adds about 30 day exchanges some companies will allow you to test out a mattress. I have had. Don't be embarrassed I have had customers spend 3-4 hours laying on the floor models to figure out what they want. If you have a good salesperson and they have a decent manager they won't care, and will do whatever it takes to make the sale.

my-rifle

I make my own guns.
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Dec 12, 2007
    Jefferson Parish
    Man, my wife and I are both professionals, and we researched beds for over a year before making our purchase. The companies that make mattresses go to extraordinary lengths to conceal what's in their products. They give different names to the same product, then when you call to ask about it they deny it, yet when you go from one store to another you see the same product over and again with different names. The company's descriptions of their products are so vague as to be useless. You have to go to third-party sources to get any real information, and they generally contradict each other. What would I have given to find one website that had reliable information, but the best we could find was sources that listed customer reviews. Still they were contradictory as well. It's a crap-shoot, and you're just as likely to end up with a $2k trash can as a good mattress.

BigNick73

Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Sep 21, 2008
    Brandon, MS
    Just went and looked my other matress is a "HealthCare" brand. They have a website if you google it. I've only slept on it once, being the guest bed and had no complaints. Like my bedinabox.com one better, I got one of the high end ones, dad has the low end ones on his guest bed and have no complaints with it either. They're all memory foam, I personally hate sleeping on springs now, but some people hate the foam.

Top Bottom