Getting Back into Running

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • DoubleJ

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 21, 2013
    New Iberia,LA
    Just looking to see if I can get some advice from any experienced runners that may been around here.
    Stress on experience part due to me being pretty experienced (Running for 10 years+ , ran HS,and some college XC, I watch pro track and field like most watch football, etc.)
    But really any advice/experiences may help. And my experience is limited to 10k under also...Looking to get some halfs and fulls done in the near future so experience there is great also!
    It's been over a year since I've ran seriously and although I know how to train I also know that my brain thinks I'm a lot better than I currently am.
    I've come off of breaks before, but never this long. And more than once I've ended up hurt in 2 weeks from thinking I'm back and can resume regular training.
    What usually happens is after only a week I start feeling like I got it back and end up pushing a little too hard and either my It band or ankle injuries from the past come knocking at the door.
    Feel like I still have some base. But probably not as good as I think. Used to have a physical job so breaks from running weren't too bad, now I sit at a desk for the most part..

Anyway I'd like to get back at 60 miles a week (6days on, Sun Off)..I'm thinking start at 15 this week 5days on. Bump to 20 next and 6 days..Get to 30 in about 4 weeks then progress by 10% ea week. So likely May when I reach 60.
    Is this being reasonable? Should I maybe stop in the 30-40 range for a few weeks before advancing? How long you think until I start speed work again, 3 weeks?

Thanks Fellas

DoubleJ

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 21, 2013
    New Iberia,LA
    While I agree C25k is a great program..
    Me out of shape is still beyond that program...
    I can run a 5k right now in likely the 22-23 minute range now that would be hard when my hard in the past would be 17-18.
    I could also likely go run 5 miles at 8-8:20 pace. But either right now today would leave me incredibly sore. I'd compensate for soreness running the next day with bad form and bam old injuries come knocking.
    Sound a little "full of myself" there but I have years of base/experience but I will admit that this is also my handicap in a situation like this.
    I do need to start with something basic but above C25k.. That's why I'm more of looking for opinions on my above proposition or what others in my situation may have done

DoubleJ

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 21, 2013
    New Iberia,LA
    Thanks man this is good stuff..
    I have seen these guides before but forgot about them! With a little personal tweaking I think this can work

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 15, 2013
    Slidell, la
    I've always heard the 10% thing is good to go. personally though I push it and run through the discomfort- getting back in is always hard and frustrating. That way has always been faster for me.

jjb518

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 22, 2012
    Gramercy, LA
    i need to get back into running as well. i have spent more time on the weights than running in the past 3 years. back in my prime i could run a 4:40 mile and a 16:30 5k. i think those days are pretty much gone for me. TOO MUCH BEER :beer:

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 15, 2013
    Slidell, la
    Update to my previous post. I blatantly violated the 10% rule yesterday going from a 5 miler to a 10 the next day after having run a handful of times the week prior and man am I feeling it today.

DoubleJ

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 21, 2013
    New Iberia,LA
    I've done 70 before.
    It's not bad at all when you train up to it correctly.
    Hardest part is finding the time to get all those miles in and you have to basically eat,sleep, breath running.
    But I want to hit 60 for the summer train real hard then back off to 40 ish after the summer when there are a bunch of races.
    I used to cut grass all day in the SLA heat THEN run 8-10 miles.. Wish I could get in that shape again haha. Key is getting outside at day break and staying outside all day you adapt to the heat and it isn't that bad.

Pilgrim I here you on pushing it. I've done that with shorter breaks. I had about a 2 month break then decided to get back into it went run till my legs couldn't go anymore, got 16 miles. Took a day off and then it was like I was back at 100% again haha
    But if I tried that with a longer break I'd get injured no doubt.

It's going good so far. Got a nasty blister but that's it.
    I run w/o socks and with the break the skin on my feet isn't as tough as it used to be so I guess I gotta get a few blisters and build that back
    Running 3-4 a day right now. Should hit around 18 this week. Next week I will get a 5 in.

Top Bottom