Getting gear together for Dynamic Carbine I

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • m3lvin

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 1, 2010
    Hey guys,

So I'm all signed in for Magpul's Dynamic Carbine I this March in Robert, LA, but I need some advice on getting gear together. Basically, I'm looking for a very basic (and, of course, reasonably priced :D) setup to carry my mags. I also am looking at sling options. Cheap-ass that I am, I actually rigged up a little DIY sling that I found on ar15.com (check it out here). My understanding is that I will probably learn quite a bit about what will and will not work for me during the course, so I don't want to jump in and buy all kinds of tactical gear that doesn't fit me right. Any suggestions in these departments? Thanks a bunch, and I look forward to seeing some of you guys out there.

acman

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 7, 2009
    Natchez, MS
    that sling looks kinda constrictive for some positions and transitions. I have used a 2 point sling and a single point sling, and prefer the single point for ease of movement, but that sling just looks like a headache. You might want to look into a good 2 point such as the blue force gear victory sling or a boonie packer tactical 2point quick adjust sling. Have fun at the class I wish I were going.:D

jbonnette

Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Mar 22, 2009
    Denham Springs
    After taking that class I'd recommend the following:
    Magpul ASAP
    Magpul MS2 Sling
    Magpul AFG
    2 Kydex single mag holsters for AR-15
    2 Kydex single mag holsters for your handgun
    Kydex holster for handgun

nickatnite

Crybaby Hater...
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Jun 27, 2007
    Prairieville, La
    I do; along with a Norwegian engineer's bag with some extra magazines.

Speaking of that, have you seen the new Maxpedition bag?

Jumbo L.E.O.

9846b_2011_detail.jpg

9846g5_571_detail.jpg

9846g4_719_detail.jpg

And then the Mongo!
    It's big enough to carry one of the new Netbooks in and it has a waist strap...

0439g2_2212_detail.jpg

Nolacopusmc

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Oct 22, 2008
    New Orleans, LA
    Also, you don't want to buy all sorts of "tactical gear" that will never get used again.

Judging from the pictures I've seen, most carbine class goers seem to think they're getting ready for a military deployment. Hey, that's cool... but how many of those guys have that **** to hand, today, RIGHT NOW?

My point being (and the trainers alledgely say this), you should train like you will fight. I have all the ninja stuff, from back when I used it for real. It is in the attic someplace, and will stay there when I go to the McKee class next month.

Why? Because I won't have it with me when the SHTF. How many of those rifle class goers even carry a carbine around with them??? Very few, I'll wager.

I do; along with a Norwegian engineer's bag with some extra magazines. If The Revolution hits while I'm at work, I'll unlimber the carbine, slap the kydex single mag carrier on my belt ahead of my spare pistol mag pouch, stuff three or four mags into various pockets, and try to make it home. Don't have time to "ninja up", nor do I desire to restrict my mobility with all that crap.

And THAT is how I'll "gear up" for Tiger's class.

I'm not trying to rain on your (or anyone's) parade. But inject some common sense into this question. And it boils down to this... YOU'RE ONLY AS GOOD AS WHAT YOU'VE GOT... right NOW, where you can put your hands on it immediately.

So if you plan to carry a rifle and full kit bag around with you at all times, then gear up to the max. You will be limited only by your imagination and budget. But if you're like 99% of AR owners (who do NOT carry a rifle around all the time, despite whatever posturing they may adopt on-line), that money would be better spent on a couple of necessary accessories and a LOT of ammunition... ;)

While LSP makes a lot of good points in his usually eloquent manner ;), to answer your question about the MAGPUL DYNAMICS class.....

I definitely advise you "train how you fight", and unless you are LEO or MIL and have some idea of your potential "fighting environment" LSP's suggested set-up is probably more appropriate.

Keep in mind though that this class has a higher round count than most, so you need to be able to bring at least 5 mags to line every time.

For the super duper ninja cool Hyper-violent tactical class we just took, I "ran" two Kydex bladetech holster and two kydex pistol mags holders on a nylon duty belt. Nothing fancy. My other 2-4 "admin" mags went in cargo pockets. It worked for me.

As far as slings, if you are going to go th MS2 w/ ASAP, wait until TD1- they will be for sale discounted.

JBONETTE's list is a great starting point and should get you through the class just fine. This set-up will also do you well for competition and as a SHTF rig if that is your preferred method of carry.

If you want to gear up, let me know. I am a Condor dealer and can get you some good prices on nylon tactical gear.

Also, if you are that hard up for funds, I will not be taking the course, so you can use my gear. I have a three mag drop leg rig that I bought trying to "bee all tactical" that I really do not like, so you could use that also if you like.

Last edited:

Nolacopusmc

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Oct 22, 2008
    New Orleans, LA
    I will simply say less is more. Every class I've taken has started out with a few guys laden with the kewlest stuff evar and rifles ready for anything... by the morning of day two the rifle has usually lost about 40% of its weight and the guy doesn't "klank" when he walks.

I "run" a rifle and two magazines. In the event that something actually happens in my day to day life and an AR gets involved, I will have no more than a rifle and one extra magazine unless it is a hurricane situation... which is a different cat that involves bipods and beta mags ;)

All very true. Myself included.

However, in this class, you will need to be able to manage 4-5 magazines on your person on the line or you will be "that guy" who has to keep loading his magazines.

SO, for those students attending this class, please ensure you can accommodate 4-5 mags on your person, even if they are in your pockets.

This is an administrative technique to increase range time vs. loading time, not a recommendation or your gear selection or personal tactics.

Nolacopusmc

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Oct 22, 2008
    New Orleans, LA
    I will simply say less is more. Every class I've taken has started out with a few guys laden with the kewlest stuff evar and rifles ready for anything... by the morning of day two the rifle has usually lost about 40% of its weight and the guy doesn't "klank" when he walks.

I took my first rifle class in... 2004? I brought an M1A. I was in a little better shape then and could easily bench 315. I didn't think that 12 lb (loaded) rifle would be any issue... after all, GI's humped that mother across Korea, right?

Yeah they did, and I don't know how - after two hours I was HATING life. That pig weighed 439 lbs by lunch.

An AR can get to 10 lbs FAST if you get carried away.

My guns now weigh under 6 lbs with a light. LSP and Jbonette have both handled my training gun and can testify... light, handy, and the bullets leave at the same velocity as a super tactical ninja gun with the same length barrel.

As for classes, I "run" a rifle and two magazines on the line. If the classes round count called for more, I'd bring more to the line.

In the event that something actually happens in my day to day life and an AR gets involved, I will have no more than a rifle and one extra magazine unless it is a hurricane situation... which is a different cat that involves bipods and beta mags ;)

I see what you did there....;)

Nolacopusmc

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Oct 22, 2008
    New Orleans, LA
    Turns out I can't simply say.

I will further say - guys, mags are intended to be disposable. Buy 20, 30, 100... they are cheap right now. If they pass another AWB, the cost of 100 mags now might get you 10 in 5 years.

Having at least 10, up to 25 training mags so that you don't have to load them at all during the day, and that you can drop, kick, step on... is worth it.

+10000000

Bring every AR MAG you have, preferrably pre-loaded. this will save you precious time and give you moments to relax, jaw-jab, or un**** other gear.

I bring about 25-30. These are dedicated training mags.

Also, mark your mags with your initials or some other identifier with a paint pen. Mags will get dropped.

Look on the brightside, you get a free PMAG just for showing up. LOL:D

Sharkman74

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    New Orleans
    Any suggestions on how many white lights we may need for this class? Is a 1 light on the rifle enough for this class? Do we need a light on the handgun?

FishingFool

Calls the shot
    Rating - 95.2%
    20   1   0
    Jun 29, 2009
    Metairie
    Just 1 light on the rifle. I wouldn't even mount it until after day 1. After the first drill was over I ripped my light off until I could figure out a spot to put it w/o interfering with the taught grip.

Picking up a lula loader is a really good idea too. Take all your ammo out of the boxes and dump them into an ammo can.

A few of us tapped up our fingers during/after the first day. That damn gap between receiver and grip almost wore a hole in my middle finger. I remember one dude was aggravated enough to had filled it in with silicone seal for the second day. I put a magpul triggerguard after the class and so far its helped a lot.

BUG SPRAY, HAT, SUNSCREEN!

A set of knee pads and elbow pads are not a bad idea. We were hitting the dirt pretty hard and I didn't have any problems without them but I was a little sore afterwards.

Surefire ep4 ear plugs are great and cheap.

m3lvin

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 1, 2010
    Been silent for a bit with class and work, but want to thank all you guys for your help. Lots of great ideas, and thanks for the reassuring dose of reality, LSP. I'm neither law enforcement or military, and so the chances of me being near a readily usable AR-15 if the SHTF are relatively low. Lots of great ideas from everyone, though. I'll be shopping around in the near future and will post ideas as time goes by. Really looking forward to February's Kenner gun show to see what I can find. Thanks again.

Nolacopusmc

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Oct 22, 2008
    New Orleans, LA
    Been silent for a bit with class and work, but want to thank all you guys for your help. Lots of great ideas, and thanks for the reassuring dose of reality, LSP. I'm neither law enforcement or military, and so the chances of me being near a readily usable AR-15 if the SHTF are relatively low. Lots of great ideas from everyone, though. I'll be shopping around in the near future and will post ideas as time goes by. Really looking forward to February's Kenner gun show to see what I can find. Thanks again.

Come see me, i will have some stuff.

Nolacopusmc

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Oct 22, 2008
    New Orleans, LA
    Any suggestions on how many white lights we may need for this class? Is a 1 light on the rifle enough for this class? Do we need a light on the handgun?

You never "nned
    a light on the handgun, but regardless of if you have a light on your weapon or not, always have at least one handheld. i will have Fenix Lights in the class to sell.

Narco

0-60 in 5.11
    Rating - 100%
    71   0   0
    Jun 6, 2007
    New Orleans
    I have an older chest rig that Brannon and I put together.. You can borrow it indefinitely.. Just remind me to get it out the attic. It is Woodland Camo w/ 5.11 mag pouches, goes from S-XXL. Great for admin mags.. Just buy you 1 Kydex ar mag pouch, for speed reloads and your GTG...

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    hunter1994
    Top Bottom