Giant Trunk

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • parallel

Often Beside Himself
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    LaPlace, Louisiana
    I did a LOT of research before deciding on the Retrax Pro MX for my 2015 Toyota Tundra SR5 CrewMax. Once I knew which make and model tonneau cover I wanted, I did a bunch more research on where to buy to get the best value. Thus far I'm pretty impressed with this cover. My only issue so far is that the cover and more importantly the lock (which is meant to be used as a handle to open and close the cover) gets REALLY HOT in the South Louisiana sun... I literally burned my fingers trying to close and lock it. I highly recommend keeping a rag or some gloves in the truck to protect your fingers from the heat.

Now all I need is a tailgate seal kit and my truck bed will be like a giant trunk... with the added benefit of being able to be used to haul stuff as well.

The Retrax Pro MX comes very well packaged in two boxes.
    Retrax%20Pro%20delivered_zpspg0e7qac.jpg

Here it is assembled and ready to mount to the truck. Note that the MX features the textured mat powder coat finish that matches the OEM bed caps of the Tundra pretty well. Assembly is not too difficult once the two people working together to do it get on the same page. This would have went MUCH faster if it weren't so stinking HOT (Summer in South Louisiana).
    rails%20amp%20front%20cover%20on_zpsnjvkkugi.jpg

I bought the Toyota Deck Rail system and installed it in order to have the ability to use the tie downs and to facilitate a MUCH cleaner install of the tonneau cover.
    Deck%20Rails_zps90utlc1d.jpg

Open position, tailgate down.
    Retrax%20Pro%20Installed%203_zps6sfqo9rm.jpg

Open position, tailgate up.
    Retrax%20Pro%20Installed%205_zpsbj1hljtm.jpg

Closed position, tailgate down.
    Retrax%20Pro%20Installed%204_zpsmetmugua.jpg

Closed position, tailgate up
    Retrax%20Pro%20Installed%202_zps5hvceexb.jpg

parallel

Often Beside Himself
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    LaPlace, Louisiana
    I considered getting the Powertrax Pro... but in the end I decided against having another fob on my key ring. If there was a way to consolidate the two fobs I probably would have forked out the extra grand.

SVTFreak

Huh?
    Rating - 100%
    34   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    Galvez
    I considered getting the Powertrax Pro... but in the end I decided against having another fob on my key ring. If there was a way to consolidate the two fobs I probably would have forked out the extra grand.

Leave fob in door pocket. It doesn't need to be on ring all the time

alpinehyperlite

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 27, 2011
    Baton Rouge

I had an aftermarket alarm with auto start, and an AUX button. I didnt hook up the auto start, so that button was close and the aux was open.

tallwalker

Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Jul 24, 2012
    Covington, LA
    I have had a Retrax on two trucks now starting in 1999 or so. They hold up just fine and have had no real issues. Company has been great to deal with. The only thing is be sure and keep the drains clear. Mine would get leaves and pine needles in the bottom of the drum and it would fill up with water. Then when you retract the cover all the water gets displaced over the front lip into your bed. Easy to check, just unscrew the stop at the tailgate end and slide the cover out a foot or so. Reach in and clear it out once in a while.

JHenley17

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 21, 2013
    Prairieville
    I would bet a momentary switch could easily be wired to take the place of the fob to actuate the cover. That would actually be pretty cool, I think, to have a switch by your left knee or even in the door panel that matches your window switches.

Top Bottom